Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Raviolini in Brodo ( Chicken flavor broth with cheese filled Ravioli)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Raviolini in Brodo ( Chicken flavor broth with cheese filled Ravioli)

Well this will be interesting - The first test was on a Fire Maple stove with a canister and a 900ml pot.

I purchased this [IMG:http://www.soupsonline.com/images/Product/medium/414.jpg] and much has changed! This 4 oz package delivers 2 dinners. That's a $1.5 for each... Just prior to backpacking divide the package equally into two real Glad bags... you cannot use knock offs they melt. I pour the contents onto a cutting board from a one dollar board, they are flexible and I use it as a stiffener inside my UL backpack. Move it around with a knife and desperate equally the ravioli and powder. Some additives you can get without crimping style! Deanna (m wife) likes adding soup starter two tablespoons... Do not add carrots - this is loaded. I added half a packet of Knox Gelatin, no flavor - its a thickener and more important better for joint health. This product is a little salty to me... but some of the powder stayed in the packet... I am in a place where I can add more tiny chopped dried chicken, or real bacon bits, may be some more onion flakes, but this was a initial test.

Another idea is a huge soda straw of grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top after making this and/or oyster crackers on the surface adding another 70 kcal per dinner

Bring 2.5 cups to a boil about 4-5 minutes depending on altitude. That's one inch lower than the pot. Add glad bag pour into the pot. (not the usual method)

Stir like the devil for a minute, Reduce to a simmer... here is a rub... cook for 20 minutes This should slightly boil the entire simmer.

300 kcal per dinner.

So thoughts - its steep and cheap! down side without the simmer the mini ravioli is chewy... full of flavor... if you find this too salty next time add two TABLESPOONS of plain potato flake, knocks the salt to better numbers.

Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Well this will be interesting - The first test was on a Fire Maple stove with a canister and a 900ml pot.

Turns out the Monatauk Gnat stove I've been packing the last three years is a rebranded Fire Maple:
      [IMG:http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-iRVE4TP78UM/TjSfXL1luWI/AAAAAAAACZE/-LDRMal0ykQ/s320/monatauk-gnat.jpg]

I realy like Alessi soups. Bought several boxes from Amazon just before I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy. Now Mary gets to enjoy them all ...

Bring 2.5 cups to a boil about 4-5 minutes depending on altitude. That's one inch lower than the pot. Add glad bag pour into the pot. (not the usual method)

Stir like the devil for a minute, Reduce to a simmer... here is a rub... cook for 20 minutes This should slightly boil the entire simmer.

Maybe try simmering for 5 mins, then put yer pot in a cozy for 10-15 mins? This is the "Fuel Saver" process Trailcooking.com recommends for Quinoa - which also traditionally requires a 20 min simmer. I've found I need to go to 8 mins to get the quinoa to open up. Maybe my cozy isn't as efficient as their's? [shrug] But this is pasta, so I'd be inclined to try a batch with minimum time
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • LDog wrote:

Maybe try simmering for 5 mins, then put yer pot in a cozy for 10-15 mins? This is the "Fuel Saver" process Trailcooking.com recommends for Quinoa - which also traditionally requires a 20 min simmer. I've found I need to go to 8 mins to get the quinoa to open up. Maybe my cozy isn't as efficient as their's? [shrug] But this is pasta, so I'd be inclined to try a batch with minimum time

Well yes you can do that - will still take 20 + minutes... The pasta is OK but needs that time.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

LDog wrote:

Well yes you can do that - will still take 20 + minutes... The pasta is OK but needs that time.

Well, yes, but you're potentially using 1/4th the fuel. But if your goal is to reduce time to cook, you could cook it at home and dehydrate it. Then it would be relatively fast to rehydrate/heat up.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15