Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

1st annual hiker left behind trek

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 1st annual hiker left behind trek

being that I couldn't attend the 3rd annual leave no hiker behind Trek I decided to do a six and a half mile loop through doodle town up to West Mountain shelter across West Mountain back to my car it was a beautiful day
      Images
      • 20150122_140256.jpg

249.67 kB, 800×480, viewed 389 times
      • 20150122_140252.jpg

232.81 kB, 800×480, viewed 368 times
      • 20150122_135954.jpg

188.66 kB, 800×480, viewed 380 times
      • 20150122_135910.jpg

274.43 kB, 800×480, viewed 378 times
      • 20150122_135821.jpg

312.87 kB, 800×480, viewed 366 times
      • 20150122_134533.jpg

352.61 kB, 800×480, viewed 361 times
      • 20150122_132307.jpg

243.84 kB, 800×480, viewed 367 times
      • 20150122_132256.jpg

163.33 kB, 800×480, viewed 384 times
      • 20150122_130937.jpg

117.7 kB, 800×480, viewed 289 times
      • 20150122_104327.jpg

285.53 kB, 800×480, viewed 425 times
      its all good
    • i parked at a small lot off seven lakes drive, exit 19 on the palisades, and picked up the 1777 w trail.conditions were mixed ice snow and rock, with some pretty sketchy spots and microspikes were a must. the 1777w goes right through doodletown, which isnt much to see , its basically a bunch of post markers telling what house/church used to stand where. very few actual ruins . i reached the intersection onto the 1777 trail also known as pleasant valley road, and took that to where it intersects the timp torne trail. this led up to timp pass, and the timp, where i had a clear view of west mountain shelter. as i looked i could see smoke coming from the chimney.about 40 minute of down climbing some icy stretches, i climbed up to the shelter in sunshine, finding the shelter unoccupied with a wisp of smoke still coming from one of the fireplaces.i stayed for lunch, admired the view, then took off on the timp till it rejoined the at. these two trails run together on west mtn.for about a mile before the timp splits off to the left, where i took the at down the hill back to my car.

it was a good workout, and my ribs, which had been bruised in maine, felt good, although my left knee is still not 100%.
      nice day.
      its all good
    • socks wrote:

Musta missed a report, what happened to your ribs and knee?

when i was hiking with violet b in maine, we were coming off the ridge, i hit an icy patch on a steep downclimb and fell head first down hill, with my left arm out, clipped a boulder on my ribs, and tweaked my knee. i had thought i might have cracked a rib at the time, but its back to full strength. the knee however, is still a bit troublesome. ive got a little over 2 months for it to heal fully before i leave for georgia.
      still i was able to hike fairly quickly, except for the icy patches which slowed me down.i started at 10:30am and was back to my car by 3 with a 45 minute break at west mtn shelter.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

when i was hiking with violet b in maine, we were coming off the ridge, i hit an icy patch on a steep downclimb and fell head first down hill, with my left arm out, clipped a boulder on my ribs, and tweaked my knee. i had thought i might have cracked a rib at the time, but its back to full strength. the knee however, is still a bit troublesome. ive got a little over 2 months for it to heal fully before i leave for georgia.
      still i was able to hike fairly quickly, except for the icy patches which slowed me down.i started at 10:30am and was back to my car by 3 with a 45 minute break at west mtn shelter.

Well at least you made good time on that descent :evil: !
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

when i was hiking with violet b in maine, we were coming off the ridge, i hit an icy patch on a steep downclimb and fell head first down hill, with my left arm out, clipped a boulder on my ribs, and tweaked my knee. i had thought i might have cracked a rib at the time, but its back to full strength. the knee however, is still a bit troubeenblesome. ive got a little over 2 months for it to heal fully before i leave for georgia.

Well at least you made good time on that descent :evil: !
      been nursing a sprained knee for about 6 months now, it's taking a really long time, and the smallest tweak seems to setme back each time, I feel your pain.
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

Well that sucks! Rest, elevate and ice that knee. Oh and and cold beer helps too, just don't waste it on the knee.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

Well that sucks! Rest, elevate and ice that knee. Oh and and cold beer helps too, just don't waste it on the knee.

[IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Cannabis_leaf_2.svg]
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

[IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Cannabis_leaf_2.svg]
      =O....... wait, just you wait til the reptile sees that....................dang hippie
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: