Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Easy Trail Risotto

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Easy Trail Risotto

Here is 8 0z (too much risotto for one meal) I made the packet up at home and well rivals better than some nearby overpriced resturants. You will need two real Glad bags - not knock offs. and I hope you have butter buds or NIDO nearby. Purchase this:

[IMG:http://www.greennbrown.com/images/detailed/43/m-sku73052.jpg]
      Or a flavor of Milanese with Saffron. Fancy package stuffed in USA. So divy up the pack into two equal parts. powder and noodle in equal parts add a teaspoon of butter buds or a tablespoon of Nido and now you have two dinners.

10 oz of water to a boil. Yea you may need a bigger cup and you will need a simmer method. Most folk boil and add then stuff stir like crazy for a minute, then stuff in a preferred cozy for 20 minutes.

Figure 400 calories per serving and its totally delicious and unbearably bad for you full of carbohydrates, salt, and fats. Huge energy.

By the way its packaged in a shelf stable package please do not open it until you need it a few days before.

Let me know what you think.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Yes I agree - but this packet was for making it at home. If you want to reduce the salt shake the powder down to the bottom and pour out the rice. This 8oz packet says 4 servings - but it really is two. Salt is the third ingredient, at 29%

Still one of the best dinners I have made to date in my kitchen tests.
    • LDog wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I'll check this one out. I'm allergic to wheat, and am always looking for easy, tasty options. The Alessi packaged meals I've seen were all pasta, and are therefore off my list ...

Well that's kinda tough sorry to hear that. This company has quite a few wheat issues. This one pictured above doesn't have any wheat. My take on this whole bunch o threads was to offer inexpensive meals that can be repackaged and made into two separate dinners for under a couple of bucks. That one can pick up at a local grocery store for a backpacking trip.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

LDog wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I'll check this one out. I'm allergic to wheat, and am always looking for easy, tasty options. The Alessi packaged meals I've seen were all pasta, and are therefore off my list ...

Well that's kinda tough sorry to hear that. This company has quite a few wheat issues. This one pictured above doesn't have any wheat. My take on this whole bunch o threads was to offer inexpensive meals that can be repackaged and made into two separate dinners for under a couple of bucks. That one can pick up at a local grocery store for a backpacking trip.

Oh, yeah, I got that! I can see picking one of these up along the trail, and getting two meals out of it. I'm not gonna simmer it over a gas stove for 20 minutes tho. Maybe over a campfire ... Or start it on the stove, and finish it in a cozy ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15