Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Which places/sights are worth stopping for?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Which places/sights are worth stopping for?

Hey all! I'm currently researching must-see stops on the AT, especially from Springer to Harper's Ferry. I'm looking for varying spots of interest ranging from scenic views and sights to hostels and towns that are worth a stop. These are the recommendations I've found so far that sound somewhat intriguing:

Waynesboro VA there is always route 151 - a whole road of breweries, wineries, a cidery and a distillery. Drop down from Reeds Gap work your way up 151 to Waynesboro then get a shuttle back to Reeds then walk your way into Waynesboro

Interactive map with shelters, vistas, and towns: appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/interactive-map

There is, however, one truth that all thru-hikers seem to hold dear: “Eat at The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba, Virginia! It’s the best meal on the Trail.” – Only open Thurs through Sunday

Chimney Rock State Park in NC -Come for the scenery, the best in preppie beer, Hickory Nut Gap’s 100% grass-fed beef burgers, tremendous hiking, mountain music and fantastic storytelling

The Len Foote Hike Inn in GA - hike-inn.com/ Stecoah Gap - NC – Near Robbinsville
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • I enjoyed the Homeplace. At the NOC in NC you hit a restaurant just before you walk over the bridge. I would recommend staying at Woods Hole Hostel 10 miles before Pearisburg, VA. I actually enjoyed any town I walked thru that had real food I did not have to prepare. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • This is not just a jibe back at people but a real recommendation.
      Paddle a section of the South Fork of the Shenandoah.
      Needs some planning as you need to try and get water level right so that it's not too low or flowing too fast, avoid immediately after heavy rain as visibility is down. About 2 days with your overnight stop worked out (most of the shoreline is "posted") and avoid portage points.
      It is truly a beautiful river.
      When we did it (1st week of june) we saw incredible amounts of fish and bird life etc.
      For the rest all I can say is there are so many. I don't think I had 2 days in a row (except for zeroes) where I didn't have something that wowed me.
      Ho Hum... another kickass view almost became my mantra.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Waynesboro VA there is always route 151 - a whole road of breweries, wineries, a cidery and a distillery. Drop down from Reeds Gap work your way up 151 to Waynesboro then get a shuttle back to Reeds then walk your way into Waynesboro

There is, however, one truth that all thru-hikers seem to hold dear: “Eat at The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba, Virginia! It’s the best meal on the Trail.” – Only open Thurs through Sunday

The Len Foote Hike Inn in GA - hike-inn.com/ Stecoah Gap - NC – Near Robbinsville

waynesboro - ming garden is considered by most to be the best chinese ayce on the trail. most hikers stop there. (i've never been). when i thru'd the place to go was weezies for the ayce pancake breakfast. don't know if its still as popular today.

catawba - the homeplace is similar to the smith house in dahlonega which you may have been to except you don't have to eat with strangers. i ate there on my thru and returned on a section hike.

hike inn - the hike inn in ga is different than the hike inn in nc. 2 different places. the hike inn in georgia is on mile 5 of the approach trail. you should have a reservation if you plan to stay. my advice -- the hike inn is a great place to spend a nite, especially if you have friends who aren't big backpackers (or even hikers for that matter). i'd save it for a weekend trip with friends. unless you have an unlimited financial budget, i'd bypass it on your thru and save the approximate $100 fee. i don't think you need a hostel before you even reach the trail! use that $100 on good beer later on.
      2,000 miler
    • Dmax wrote:

If you stick around at the noc for breakfast and lunch the hill you head up is a tough one. But if you can, keep going past the shelter and camp up on cheoh bald. It was one of my favorite camping spots.

And watch out for that damn limb across the trail on the switchback after you get thru the rock field going NOBO from the NOC. I had that SOB hit me right in the forehead and it damn near knocked me off my feet and the mountain. Of course if you are under 6 ft tall you'll probably walk right under it and never see it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Dmax wrote:

If you stick around at the noc for breakfast and lunch the hill you head up is a tough one. But if you can, keep going past the shelter and camp up on cheoh bald. It was one of my favorite camping spots.
      Cheoh Bald was one of my most memorable camp spots on the entire AT. I had to agree to go back down the mountain to get water for the two people I was hiking with as part of the deal. At the shelter I convonced everyone there to join us. Memorable sunset over the Smokies & great sunrise.
    • Every place and/or thing is worth seeing, depending on your mood at the time.
      At least for me that's what it comes down to.
      Some days less people is better and some days more people is better.
      Some days I can appreciate the beauty of nature and other days not so much.
      You'll know as you go, or not.
    • Here's a list of mostly hostels and restaurants I liked. I did that northern section from Katahdin to VT in 12, so there's no tellin' if any of those places are still in business. The AT Guide will list most of these places, and AWOL is good about updating it. You can subscribe to an email from him that updates the most recent version with changes.
      • At Neel's Gap, you can go a quarter mile down the hill, and rent a cabin w/full kitchen for $50. Splt three ways that was a good deal.
      • Standing Bear is more than a bit controversial. I loved it. I thought it was magical. I healed a knee tendonitus I thought was gonna send me home early. If you're hiking in a bubble, and don't like a party atmosphere that can get wild, then you might not want to stay there. If you're hiking alone, and the place is empty, you might want to hike on. But at least check it out for the rustic tobacco plantation buildings, the stonework, and the way it's setup. Do a bit of resupply in their cool camp-store, see the llamas ...
      • Stay at Elmer's in Hot Springs. Elmer is a fascinating old curmudgeon, and his place is a great Victorian decorated in high-kitsch. The rooms are wonderful, There's a music room with several instruments. Breakfast is wonderful. It's right on the trail. Laundry and several resturaunts a short walk away.
      • Uncle Johnny's in Erwin is another legendary place. Private rooms or bunks avail. Small outfitter, daily runs thru town. They ran shuttles to/from Damascus for Trail Days.
      • Kincora had gone downhill in terms of cleanliness when I went there in '13. But it's a legendary place, and Bob Peoples is a great guy. It really is a must stay place.
      • Trail Days in Damascus is the hiker party of the decade - Every year. No matter where you are on the trail, you can get there.
      • Wood's Hole Hostel is number one in my book. I sprung for a bed in the big house, and a massage! Great food. They make daily runs into Pearisburg. Stay there to do resupply and swap your summer/winter gear there. That way you can avoid the crackhouse motels in Pearisburg. They'll mail your gear home for you. There's a lot of wonderful people along the trail and they're in the top echelon.
      • Homeplace in Catawba is not to be missed. I missed it. Allegedly serves truly great fried chicken. I don't know ...
      • On the north end of Shenandoah is Front Royal Terrapin Station. Someone said it had been listed for sale. Hope not. Mike Evans is one of those top-tier guys. Former thru-hiker, ranger, trail-maintainer, ridge-runner, and life-long Dead-Head. His place is a bit of a walk off the trail, but he offers laundry, ice cream, pizza, shuttles into town for resuppy, and shuttles generally.
      • [I havn't yet hiked Harper's Ferry to Manchester Center]
      • Green Mountain Lodge in Manchester Center Vermont is another legendary place not to be missed! I missed it.
      • The Inn at Long Trail is worth the side trail to get down to it. The AT used to go right thru it. Get a room, do your laundry, eat traditional Irish pub fare in the traditional Irish pub ...
      • Chet's Place in Lincoln, NH wasn't in any guide, but it's not to be missed. Lincoln is a great little resupply town. PO, laundry and IGA in the same shopping center, several wonderful resturants.
      • White Mountain Lodge Hostel right on US2 when you come out of the Whites was great! Clean, bunks with linens, a big breakfast, pizzas and ice cream in the fridge, many delivery options, and a daily shuttle to Super Walmart. I heard they were changing hands?
      • The Little Red Hen in Andover bakes their own breads. I think I ate there three times.
      • The White Wolf Inn has a cool resturaunt right by the Stratton Motel/Hostel. And there's a small IGA across the street.
      Every time I read a thread like this one, I whip out my guidebook and yellow highlighter ....
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• jimmyjam wrote:

Dmax wrote:

And watch out for that damn limb across the trail on the switchback after you get thru the rock field going NOBO from the NOC. I had that SOB hit me right in the forehead and it damn near knocked me off my feet and the mountain. Of course if you are under 6 ft tall you'll probably walk right under it and never see it.

See sometimes there are advantages to being vertically challenged.
    • LDog wrote:

Here's a list of mostly hostels and restaurants I liked. I did that northern section from Katahdin to VT in 12, so there's no tellin' if any of those places are still in business. The AT Guide will list most of these places, and AWOL is good about updating it. You can subscribe to an email from him that updates the most recent version with changes.
      • At Neel's Gap, you can go a quarter mile down the hill, and rent a cabin w/full kitchen for $50. Splt three ways that was a good deal.[/quote]
      LDog, your responses are always so thorough and thought-out! You're already a trail angel! I'm learning so many great ideas from your posts.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • LDog wrote:

• Kincora had gone downhill in terms of cleanliness when I went there in '13. But it's a legendary place, and Bob Peoples is a great guy. It really is a must stay place.[/quote]
      • i talked to tarlin about this. he said when people complain that the hostel is dirty he says "well, get a f-ing broom then." i agree with this. bob peoples is not anyones maid.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

LDog wrote:

• Kincora had gone downhill in terms of cleanliness when I went there in '13. But it's a legendary place, and Bob Peoples is a great guy. It really is a must stay place.[/quote]
      • i talked to tarlin about this. he said when people complain that the hostel is dirty he says "well, get a f-ing broom then." i agree with this. bob peoples is not anyones maid.
      Nah, that's bullh*t. If anyone thinks that a place like Kincora can be left to run on autopilot with the assumption that hikers will do the right thing, well then he's a fool, because we know a large percentage of them won't. That place was a mess and needed a deep cleaning. Bob would do well to have someone there to take care of it, and charge accordingly, so he can continue to do what he loves to do out on the trail. And lest you quoted Jack to suggest that I'm part of the problem, I spent all afternoon washing dishes, washing sheets, and deep-cleaning the kitchen.
      -
      L.Dog
    • LDog wrote:

And lest you quoted Jack to suggest that I'm part of the problem, I spent all afternoon washing dishes, washing sheets, and deep-cleaning the kitchen.

i did not mean to infer anything of the sort.

i agree totally with what jack said. anybody who goes to hostel with a $5 suggested donation should know that a little bit of elbow grease goes along with the deal. 10 minutes makes a huge difference. no one should leave a hostel in worse shape than it was when they arrived. and when that happens...there is a reason many of the $3 donation church hostels have been replaced with $20 and up profit making "hostels" in recent years.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i agree totally with what jack said. anybody who goes to hostel with a $5 suggested donation should know that a little bit of elbow grease goes along with the deal. 10 minutes makes a huge difference. no one should leave a hostel in worse shape than it was when they arrived.

This I can agree with. Unfortunately too many hikers suffer from poor potty training.

and when that happens...there is a reason many of the $3 donation church hostels have been replaced with $20 and up profit making "hostels" in recent years.

Yup.
      -
      L.Dog
    • Rasty wrote:

I liked Bob immensely. That being said Bob should charge $20 and get some assistance so he's can do what he enjoys and let the hired help keep the place clean.

bob doesnt charge anything. its a voluntary $5 donation.i doubt he would ever consider charging more, and then having to provide more for the money.the more money a place charges, the more that entitlement issues will come into play.
      i generally avoid hostels even moreso than shelters, but kincora is special. bob peoples makes it so.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I liked Bob immensely. That being said Bob should charge $20 and get some assistance so he's can do what he enjoys and let the hired help keep the place clean.

bob doesnt charge anything. its a voluntary $5 donation.i doubt he would ever consider charging more, and then having to provide more for the money.the more money a place charges, the more that entitlement issues will come into play.
      i generally avoid hostels even moreso than shelters, but kincora is special. bob peoples makes it so.

Next time I'll just stop by for a visit and keep on trucking up the trail.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • i'm not a slack packer, but if i was i'd be all over this place:

aquonecabins.com/at.html#anchor_1123

i find the website hard to navigate; they also have a facebook page which may help a bit. they also pick up at deep gap which is not yet added to the website. i believe one of their cabins/bunkhouses is female only but i can't find it on the website.

no personal experience, but rave reviews from those who have stayed.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i'm not a slack packer, but if i was i'd be all over this place:

aquonecabins.com/at.html#anchor_1123

i find the website hard to navigate; they also have a facebook page which may help a bit. they also pick up at deep gap which is not yet added to the website. i believe one of their cabins/bunkhouses is female only but i can't find it on the website.

no personal experience, but rave reviews from those who have stayed.

I guess I could have had my dad or sister slack-pack me all through that area. I guess I was just doing it all wrong.
    • Astro wrote:

I guess I could have had my dad or sister slack-pack me all through that area. I guess I was just doing it all wrong.

you can slack georgia using hiker hostel (luxury version) or dr. doyles "smart hike" (sleep next to a van next to the road) and then using aquone i think you could slack all the way springer to the natahala outdoor center.

carrying a pack for the first time leaving the noc and hiking up cheoah bald would be an eye opening experience!
      2,000 miler