Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Which places/sights are worth stopping for?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• hikerboy wrote:

they just changed the site description due to some intervention by lw and myself . they serve section hikers and thrus the same if they arrive and leave on foot. sectio n hikers that travel there by car have higher rates.

Thanks for clearing that up. Can someone explain to me why driving in gets a higher rate? Does that mean just a parking fee or higher lodge rates?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

they just changed the site description due to some intervention by lw and myself . they serve section hikers and thrus the same if they arrive and leave on foot. sectio n hikers that travel there by car have higher rates.

Thanks for clearing that up. Can someone explain to me why driving in gets a higher rate? Does that mean just a parking fee or higher lodge rates?

they offer support at a discount to hikers that are hiking through, whether theyre section hikers or thru hikers, not to people who simply drive there, which i think is understandable.
      steve bennet "Mike & David, where section hikers and Thru-hikers arrive on foot there is no difference in the charge, where section hikers arrive in their own vehicle there is a $5.00, difference. The Lodge subsidizes all hikers and is willing to do so, however in our past experience we have come across section hikers (using their own vehicle) arrive for a cheap vacation stay in a well appointed Lodge, they bring their own food or dine out or arrive in the Lodge with carry out food, the $5.00 is a tiny surcharge for all the additional cleaning we have to do when they leave. The website does not explain that very well and we will correct that, thank you for your question. Steve & Maggie
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

they offer support at a discount to hikers that are hiking through, whether theyre section hikers or thru hikers, not to people who simply drive there, which i think is understandable.
      steve bennet "Mike & David, where section hikers and Thru-hikers arrive on foot there is no difference in the charge, where section hikers arrive in their own vehicle there is a $5.00, difference. The Lodge subsidizes all hikers and is willing to do so, however in our past experience we have come across section hikers (using their own vehicle) arrive for a cheap vacation stay in a well appointed Lodge, they bring their own food or dine out or arrive in the Lodge with carry out food, the $5.00 is a tiny surcharge for all the additional cleaning we have to do when they leave. The website does not explain that very well and we will correct that, thank you for your question. Steve & Maggie

Sorry, still scratching my head over that one. A section hiker who drives in is less likely to use the laundry facilities, need the spare change of clothes, and will probably bring their own toiletries...I think the extra $5 could be deducted for those reasons alone. But I guess it's a lot harder to clean up after a section hiker than a stinky, contaminated with who-knows-what thru hiker. Oh well, it's their facility they can charge what they want . I agree it looks like a really nice place.
    • OzJacko wrote:

It's an acknowledgment in a way that the food is a part of the profit margin. I have absolutely no problem with it. I think it makes a lot of sense. They're not dear.

I agree that food seems to be the reason but if that's such a big concern, why advertise for the pizza delivery place? Isn't a thru hiker more apt to order pizza than pay for lodge food? I'm just confused. Usually you read about thru hikers being cheap and that lodges/hostels do better with section hikers, not the other way around. I realize I'm beating a dead horse, I sure wish I were out hiking right now. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

It's an acknowledgment in a way that the food is a part of the profit margin. I have absolutely no problem with it. I think it makes a lot of sense. They're not dear.

I agree that food seems to be the reason but if that's such a big concern, why advertise for the pizza delivery place? Isn't a thru hiker more apt to order pizza than pay for lodge food? I'm just confused. Usually you read about thru hikers being cheap and that lodges/hostels do better with section hikers, not the other way around. I realize I'm beating a dead horse, I sure wish I were out hiking right now. :)

okay lets make it simple. they have standard rates. if you arrive and leave on foot, you get a $5 discount.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

okay lets make it simple. they have standard rates. if you arrive and leave on foot, you get a $5 discount.

I realize that HB. I was looking for clarification on the bitching that I always read concerning thru hikers being cheap. I was wondering if section hikers are just as bad. $5 doesn't mean shlt to me, I've paid more at other hostels because I was a section hiker.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

They'd never make it in the car sales business. :D
    • Not too far north of Harpers Ferry the AT passes through the South Mountain battlefield. A precursor to the battle of Sharpsburg (or Antietam if you must). The Sharpsburg battlefield isn't terribly far off the trail itself. Provided you're interested in history, that is.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • LDog wrote:

Nah, that's bullh*t. If anyone thinks that a place like Kincora can be left to run on autopilot with the assumption that hikers will do the right thing, well then he's a fool, because we know a large percentage of them won't.

As much as I hate to disagree with you my friend, I have to agree with Jack on this one. Bob is no fool, if you find a "historic" place to stay (my words), that does not meet you requirements just move on, it's not like we walked there that far. I completely respect and understand your opinion and the fact that you helped and agree with the fact that large percentage do not help. You have to know I have a "rule" to try to never bad mouth a service provider on the AT as over the years I've hit them all at one time or another and every single one that no longer exists I miss very much. I tried to disagree with your list and all I could find was Johnny is your Uncle and he's not Little.
    • Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

LDog wrote:

Nah, that's bullh*t. If anyone thinks that a place like Kincora can be left to run on autopilot with the assumption that hikers will do the right thing, well then he's a fool, because we know a large percentage of them won't.

As much as I hate to disagree with you my friend, I have to agree with Jack on this one. Bob is no fool, if you find a "historic" place to stay (my words), that does not meet you requirements just move on, it's not like we walked there that far. I completely respect and understand your opinion and the fact that you helped and agree with the fact that large percentage do not help. You have to know I have a "rule" to try to never bad mouth a service provider on the AT as over the years I've hit them all at one time or another and every single one that no longer exists I miss very much.

Well, I did not mean to badmouth Bob. That comment up there was in response to Jack's comment. I had a wonderful visit with Bob. We talked late into the evening. I love him for his service, and what he does for the trail. I just wish he had some help to keep the place right.

appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…d449b70054f9c454bb902a69d appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…d449b70054f9c454bb902a69d

I tried to disagree with your list and all I could find was Johnny is your Uncle and he's not Little.

Oooops ... fixed.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 2 times, last by LDog ().

• Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

I tried to disagree with your list and all I could find was Johnny is your Uncle and he's not Little.

i believe uncle johnny has gotten a lot of negative press at tos over the years that was not warranted.

most hikers like miss janet. as a way to "pump up her business" hikers would post complaints about uncle johnny. i noticed as soon as miss janet got out of the hostel business in erwin that the compaints about uncle johnny stopped. conincidence? i don't think so.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

i believe uncle johnny has gotten a lot of negative press at tos over the years that was not warranted.

most hikers like miss janet. as a way to "pump up her business" hikers would post complaints about uncle johnny. i noticed as soon as miss janet got out of the hostel business in erwin that the compaints about uncle johnny stopped. conincidence? i don't think so.

I had a positive experience at Uncle Johnny's back in 2013. And you can not beat how it was right on the trail. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

I had a positive experience at Uncle Johnny's back in 2013. And you can not beat how it was right on the trail. :thumbup:

uncle johnny's did not exist when i thru'd. i'm looking forward to checking his place out in person.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

I remember those comments on tos. Didn't deter me from staying there in '13. Great visit, Got a reasonably priced shuttle to/from Trail Days.

I don't doubt your analysis. Miss Janet does have her fan base.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • Uncle Johnny's had norovirus issues in 2013 (we knew of at least 2 sufferers there the night before we hit town). We stayed in a hotel. Erwin is a bit of a pain to get around in. Nice views in and out on the trail is my best memory.
      Stayed at Braemar instead of Kincora. No regrets on that decision. Bob seems a nice guy, met him on trail with a work crew. I wish he lived in northern PA.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I've never been on the AT south of Harper's Ferry, but if you find yourself in New England make sure to go to the top of Killington Mt, the view is great.
      Plus you can watch the down hill bicyclists that go up on the ski lift and then go screaming down the mountain on special bikes.
      Straton Pond was really nice too, great place to cool off on a hot summer's day.
    • Da Wolf wrote:

what is a mast crop?

acorns and other tree fruits.

3 or 4 years ago the smokies had a bad mast crop and very little rain so bad berry crop. I passed some berry bushes and there weren't but 10 berries on them. I met up with about 8 scouts who told me they ate the berries. The Bears were a real nuisance that year and the next year. So I don't eat berries.

Edit, okay there were 9 berries, I ate one. But just ONE! :D

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Drybones wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

I would like to mention Moutain Harbor B&B and Chef Mary's incredable breakfast. I paid to camp in a horse ring just to enjoy it! The hostel was full.

I agree about Mountain Harbour, my favorite....I got to sleep in the barn loft though.

Me too. I didn't realize there were horses below me until the next day. The barn cat hung out with me for part of the night.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

I would like to mention Moutain Harbor B&B and Chef Mary's incredable breakfast. I paid to camp in a horse ring just to enjoy it! The hostel was full.

I agree about Mountain Harbour, my favorite....I got to sleep in the barn loft though.

Me too. I didn't realize there were horses below me until the next day. The barn cat hung out with me for part of the night.

Those were some pretty big goats he had also. I really liked the owners, nice down home folks, and the breakfast was fantastic.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.