Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Designs Ti-Tri System

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trail Designs Ti-Tri System

Last year I made the switch to an alchy setup. Being a gear freak I didn't settle for a cat food can or pepsi can stove after trying a few that I made.

I spoke with one of the guys at Trail designs and they suggested a brand new Ti-Tri Fissure which has since been split into two separate models, the Fusion and the Fissure. The model I have looks more like the Fusion from the website. So far I have used the stove for about 30 nights.

The only modification I made was to add a simmer ring to slow down the boil. The ring is a 1" wide round band of Pepsi can with two holes to cover all but two of the side air vents on the 12/10 stove. Trail Designs has a Titanium version but mine cost $0.35 and came filled with Mountain Dew. The simmer ring is helpful for cooking rice and pasta that needs more then just a boil. I bring the pot to a boil then slip the ring over the stove to slow it down. If you put the ring on from the start the fuel never boils and it sputters out. Doing this I can cook a full meal for myself with 1 to 1-1/2 ounces of fuel.

The other neat feature is that the stove can burn Esbit tablets or wood. On a single overnight trip in New Hampshire this summer I used an Esbit tablet. The reason I brought Esbit for this trip was that took this overnight as part of a 2 week business trip and carrying liquid fuel on the plane isn't allowed and I did not wish to purchase 12 ounce of Heet to make a pot of ramen noodles.

The stove is a bit on the expensive side.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/fusion-ti-tri
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

It is a interesting design and the price is cheap compared to other Ti pots and systems.. A couple of trials in the back yard and I think you will be happy. I too gave up on side burners - if it spits sideways the flame its not heating the bottom,,, I just don't get most of the designs out there... vertical is better.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

I like it. I like it a lot... but not enough to shell out the money to save 2 oz over my kmart grease pot, home made caldera cone, and home made roll top stove. I do like it. Had I seen it before I started construction, I might have bought it.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

I have lots of stoves including the ti-tri. I gave up on Pepsi can stoves and have the Evernew titanium stove. Pricey but indestructible. I boxed up my ti-tri pretty early on in my AT hike. Alcohol stoves don't work the best at altitude or cold. Mostly we used IM's gas stove (MSR) and when I did use the alcohol stove I used the little titanium stand from Evernew I also have (got it as a set with the stove from Trail Designs - edit the DX set - it appears Trail Designs no longer stock it but Gravity Gear do), thoroughly recommend this combo for alcohol stove users ( it all fits in my mug) EXCEPT in windy conditions. The ti-tri works well in the wind. THE problem I have with the ti-tri is that by design it is a snug fit with the pot. When you take the pot off you need to hold the cone down often. This is at best awkward as it is bloody hot, and can be dangerous if you in the process tip your alcohol stove.
      Regarding simmering, I don't bother but I have made cozies for all my pots, including my mug.
      I expect to use my ti-tri a lot on hikes on our south coast where wind is an issue. All the huts there have woodchips on the ground so the wood burning option is ideal. I can sit and stoke the fire at the picnic table. :lol:
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.