Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned hiking plans 2015

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• waterproof is inside and out, any moisture inside has just as hard a time leaving as any moisture entering. your feet sweat, and goretex doesnt breathe very well, once theyve been used for a while, dirt and sweat clog the pores. once wet, boots take a long time to dry and get heavy.
      "waterproof" is good for weeklong hikes or less, otherwise, taking a few extra pounds off your ankles will help hike farther more comfortably.
      its all good
    • twistwrist wrote:

Shoes.

I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators for quick drying and a pair of North Face Ultra 109s that are waterproof.
      I know the argument. Shoes always get wet and waterproofs don't dry quickly, but I like the feel of my 109s best. So far, I haven't had any signs of a single blister in those bad boys. I'm thinking of starting in those and sending for my Merrells if I find they are staying too wet. Any experienced advice regarding waterproof vs non?
      Can you test them out in the heat before you leave? Like HB said, in the summer my feet get hot and sweat in waterproof shoes and it's very uncomfortable.

Last week I watched a couple cross a pretty narrow stream. It took them 10 minutes to cross in bare feet and they looked very shaky. Then it took them another 5 minutes to get their boots back on. I kept thinking, just walk through the water with your shoes on...but they were wearing boots and I guess didn't want to get them wet.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • hikerboy wrote:

waterproof is inside and out, any moisture inside has just as hard a time leaving as any moisture entering. your feet sweat, and goretex doesnt breathe very well, once theyve been used for a while, dirt and sweat clog the pores. once wet, boots take a long time to dry and get heavy.
      "waterproof" is good for weeklong hikes or less, otherwise, taking a few extra pounds off your ankles will help hike farther more comfortably.

TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Shoes.

I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators for quick drying and a pair of North Face Ultra 109s that are waterproof.
      I know the argument. Shoes always get wet and waterproofs don't dry quickly, but I like the feel of my 109s best. So far, I haven't had any signs of a single blister in those bad boys. I'm thinking of starting in those and sending for my Merrells if I find they are staying too wet. Any experienced advice regarding waterproof vs non?
      Can you test them out in the heat before you leave? Like HB said, in the summer my feet get hot and sweat in waterproof shoes and it's very uncomfortable.
      Last week I watched a couple cross a pretty narrow stream. It took them 10 minutes to cross in bare feet and they looked very shaky. Then it took them another 5 minutes to get their boots back on. I kept thinking, just walk through the water with your shoes on...but they were wearing boots and I guess didn't want to get the

Good points. I've hiked a bunch in my 109s with no sweaty feet, but I haven't hiked in mid summer either though. Damn. Moabs win. I doubt it will be long before I trade them in for trail runners.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

waterproof is inside and out, any moisture inside has just as hard a time leaving as any moisture entering. your feet sweat, and goretex doesnt breathe very well, once theyve been used for a while, dirt and sweat clog the pores. once wet, boots take a long time to dry and get heavy.

TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Shoes.

Last week I watched a couple cross a pretty narrow stream. It took them 10 minutes to cross in bare feet and they looked very shaky. Then it took them another 5 minutes to get their boots back on. I kept thinking, just walk through the water with your shoes on...but they were wearing boots and I guess didn't want to get the

Good points. I've hiked a bunch in my 109s with no sweaty feet, but I haven't hiked in mid summer either though. Damn. Moabs win. I doubt it will be long before I trade them in for trail runners.
      during the course of your hike, your feet will grow. some grow as much as a full size after a thru hike. i used to wear a size 11, now wear a size 12.5. your forefoot will spread a bit, you need good arch support to help control this, and your feet will gain muscle mass.the forefoot of your boot/shoe should not be pinching you in any way, your forefoot should have enough room to expand while you hike. if you slam your toe into a wall, your toes should not hit the front of your shoe. i actualy like my shoes laced a bit loosely, except for the forefoot, which gets locked in with a double loop.
      foot care is essential in helping to reduce blisters, and foot fatigue. clean your feet every day, even if you just use wipes. you need to get the dirt, oil, and sweat off your feet.if you can let them soak in a creek, do so, as long as its downstream from the water source.
      let your feet dry completely at the end of the day before putting on camp socks.this will enable callouses to develop where they need to to toughen your feet.
      i loved the ice cold water in the streams i had to ford on the bmt, as it felt sooo refreshing,even though my feet would turn numb.
      when you hike 3 or 4 days in rain in a row, nothing,nothing at ,will keep your feet dry. so why carry around a few extra pounds on your feet, mile after mile?
      its all good
    • twistwrist wrote:

Shoes.

I got blisters with both. With either it's a good practice to take the insoles out every chance you get and expose them to air and sun and open up the shoes as much as possible to aid in drying, I always tried to take a long lunch break and do this, be sure to do it at night. I'm planning to start walking bare foot a couple of months before the CT to keep me from getting the silver dollar size blister on the ball of foot I've gotten the last two times out.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Shoes.

I got blisters with both. With either it's a good practice to take the insoles out every chance you get and expose them to air and sun and open up the shoes as much as possible to aid in drying, I always tried to take a long lunch break and do this, be sure to do it at night. I'm planning to start walking bare foot a couple of months before the CT to keep me from getting the silver dollar size blister on the ball of foot I've gotten the last two times out.
      Walking barefoot, huh? Where? That's pretty tough!

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • All other things being equal I would choose non-waterproof over waterproof for the reasons everyone has given.
      But given the choice of more comfortable over less-comfortable I go with more comfortable even if it means giving up the non-waterproof feature.
      Also, I choose shoes over boots, except in the snow of winter or other extreme cases.
    • From Springer to VA I have personally evolved from hiking boots to trail shoes (Merrill Chameleon) to trail runners. Big difference from weekend hike with Boy Scouts to being out on the AT for multiple weeks at a time.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

we are stealth camping just south of Statington PA tonight. Heading into town in the am. 226.8 miles so far.
      when do you think you'll be in ny?
      We will cross the border into NJ this Thursday. So maybe hit the NY border about Next Tuesday give or take a day as Slingshots girlfriend is visiting us on the trail this weekend. I'll try and update every couple of days.if you or anyone else could get out and meet us that would be great.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • twistwrist wrote:

Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Shoes.

Walking barefoot, huh? Where? That's pretty tough!

I'll walk on asphalt and concrete to start with, I'm a real tenderfoot now, I was into karate in a big way when I was young, my feet looked more like a deer or dog foot, I was in traction from a leg broken in two places (motorcycle BTW), when the doctor came in he spent more time with the feet than the leg, I believe he may have thought I'd been tortured....which I was.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

we are stealth camping just south of Statington PA tonight. Heading into town in the am. 226.8 miles so far.
      when do you think you'll be in ny?

We will cross the border into NJ this Thursday. So maybe hit the NY border about Next Tuesday give or take a day as Slingshots girlfriend is visiting us on the trail this weekend. I'll try and update every couple of days.if you or anyone else could get out and meet us that would be great.

Im off on thursdays.
      its all good
    • Twistwrist : when you come thru PA in june beware that it has been dry and marginal springs are drying up. Check with sobos locals and the ATC. We went thru several 10-12 + mile dry areas. Springs are often .3 mile or more off trail and down very steep path.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Twistwrist : when you come thru PA in june beware that it has been dry and marginal springs are drying up. Check with sobos locals and the ATC. We went thru several 10-12 + mile dry areas. Springs are often .3 mile or more off trail and down very steep path.
      TW...something that has come in handy for me is 1/2 Smartwater bottle with a hole drilled in the cap and a filter screen under the cap, you scoop water from shallow streams while holding your finger over the hole, then let the water out the hole and into your bottle, the screen gets out a lot of nasties...the other photo is what I use for water purification.
      Images
      • 2012_12140002.JPG

95.84 kB, 800×600, viewed 339 times
      • 2012_12140001.JPG

105.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 354 times
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Twistwrist : when you come thru PA in june beware that it has been dry and marginal springs are drying up. Check with sobos locals and the ATC. We went thru several 10-12 + mile dry areas. Springs are often .3 mile or more off trail and down very steep path.

Very good to know. Thank you! I read that in the AT Guide regarding PA water sources commonly running dry in hotter months.

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TW...something that has come in handy for me is 1/2 Smartwater bottle with a hole drilled in the cap and a filter screen under the cap, you scoop water from shallow streams while holding your finger over the hole, then let the water out the hole and into your bottle, the screen gets out a lot of nasties...the other photo is what I use for water purification.

That's ingenious! Great tip!
      This board is absolutely invaluable! I'm lucky Traffic Jam sent me y'alls way.

• Kathy and I have made some plans for July and August.
      Kathy isn't working this summer and my regular days off are Thurs., Fri., + Sat. and we're going to spend those days each week backpacking someplace close to home. The only exception I anticipate are the 2 weeks we are planning to spend hiking in Maine.
    • twistwrist wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Very good to know. Thank you! I read that in the AT Guide regarding PA water sources commonly running dry in hotter months.

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

That's ingenious! Great tip!
      This board is absolutely invaluable! I'm lucky Traffic Jam sent me y'alls way.
      When I thrued in 88 is was a bad drought year for the East Coast. Most water sources were dry. Thankfully we hit the worst of it in NJ where you are on the deli tour. I remember stopping at a state park for some waterfall & took an extended lunch break. Even with the extra time under the "Waterfall" my nalgene wasn't quite full.
    • Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

So it's either walk in the rain or go thirsty.

It's one thing to keep in mind on those depressingly wet hikes.
      Just remember, the sun comes out eventually...I told myself that for eleven days last time out.
      My 88 thru was a hike of extremes. It seamed like everything we wished for came true." I wish the trail wsn't so steep!" then came the miles of switchbacks in NC. Everybody wishes for rain to stop. IT did! Then the drought came. It seemed like everything we wished for came to us in extremes! The day I did the Mahoosuc Notch I was sittin in my sleeping bag at Spec Pond Shelter. It was chillly & we stopped early because we were beat. On of the thrus said; I wish it would warm up." Every thru hiker starred daggers at her. She added,"a little, just a little."
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Drybones wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

So it's either walk in the rain or go thirsty.

It's one thing to keep in mind on those depressingly wet hikes.
      Just remember, the sun comes out eventually...I told myself that for eleven days last time out.
      My 88 thru was a hike of extremes. It seamed like everything we wished for came true." I wish the trail wsn't so steep!" then came the miles of switchbacks in NC. Everybody wishes for rain to stop. IT did! Then the drought came. It seemed like everything we wished for came to us in extremes! The day I did the Mahoosuc Notch I was sittin in my sleeping bag at Spec Pond Shelter. It was chillly & we stopped early because we were beat. On of the thrus said; I wish it would warm up." Every thru hiker starred daggers at her. She added,"a little, just a little."
      My first outing was extremely hot, sent all cold weather gear home at Fontana, started back at Hampton in time for a winter storm with single digits in the mountains and deep snow with high winds, started back at Pearisburg, first 11 days wet...but the last ten days were beautiful....just like in life, you never know what you're gonna get.
    • Slingshot and I have made it to High Point State Park NJ and are taking a nero nearby in Middletown to let our feet heal up and gooble up some town food. Tomorrow we will temporarily cross into NY. :)
      Images
      • 20150524_080320.jpg

100 kB, 800×480, viewed 305 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • twistwrist wrote:

Well, I leave tomorrow.
      Will be in touch.
      Later, y'all! :D
      Here's a good buy "hug", keep us posted on location, I plan to start the Colorado Trail on 8/2, be back on 9/1, when I get back I'd like to spend some time on the AT if possible, maybe get to meet you, if so, I'm bringing the largest pair of blumers I can find, with the weight you're carrying you don't get those skimpy ultra light undies.