Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned hiking plans 2015

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rainy day here, so I had another gear explosion in the garage and treated all my stuff with permethrin. Just a couple more weeks.......
      Your garage looks great, been working on mine for a few weeks now, looking forward to getting back out there...winter is just to long in the East when your garage isn't heated.
      ...I love my garage!

wife wanted me to put her car in the garage...."not as long as I'm alive will this ever happen" I told her, waste of space.

...if your putting your car in your garage, your doing it wrong.
      Can not ever see buying a house without a 3 car garage again (unless maybe one with 4).
      I must be insane, I just know I'm gonna regret down sizing after the kids are gone....may have to rent garage space.
    • I am about to move from a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with a 10ft by 10ft shed and one car garage on a fifth of an acre to a bigger 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home with a 2 car garage, a 60ft by 30 ft shed and 14 acres..... and the kids will be 250 miles away.
      gif.014.gif gif.014.gif gif.014.gif
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I am about to move from a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with a 10ft by 10ft shed and one car garage on a fifth of an acre to a bigger 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home with a 2 car garage, a 60ft by 30 ft shed and 14 acres..... and the kids will be 250 miles away.
      Mmmmm kids 250 miles away that's icing on the cake.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I am about to move from a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house with a 10ft by 10ft shed and one car garage on a fifth of an acre to a bigger 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home with a 2 car garage, a 60ft by 30 ft shed and 14 acres..... and the kids will be 250 miles away.
      the advantage of having kids too young... being an empty nester at 48 :D
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

My buddy was a grandfather at like 43...Cra Cra as the kids say, wish I'd had started earlier too.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I could live with just the 14 acres, pretty sure my wife would not share that sentiment though.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I'll be 46 when both kids are in college. I told them they don't have to leave but don't expect me to be here and the rents due at the end of the month.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I'll be 46 when both kids are in college. I told them they don't have to leave but don't expect me to be here and the rents due at the end of the month.
      I will be 58 when the youngest starts college. :(
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rainy day here, so I had another gear explosion in the garage and treated all my stuff with permethrin. Just a couple more weeks.......
      Your garage looks great, been working on mine for a few weeks now, looking forward to getting back out there...winter is just to long in the East when your garage isn't heated....I love my garage!

wife wanted me to put her car in the garage...."not as long as I'm alive will this ever happen" I told her, waste of space.

Can not ever see buying a house without a 3 car garage again (unless maybe one with 4).
      I must be insane, I just know I'm gonna regret down sizing after the kids are gone....may have to rent garage space.
      Do like I did, down size the house and supersize the garage. I had met someone in the neighborhood who said "Oh your the one in the little new house with the huge garage". The garage can never be big enough. Mine is just plus size two car. I took a normal two car and added 8 ft to the length and 6 ft to the width. That way I can get two cars in it and all my play things and still have room to actually walk around the cars.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

socks wrote:

Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Your garage looks great, been working on mine for a few weeks now, looking forward to getting back out there...winter is just to long in the East when your garage isn't heated....I love my garage!

Do like I did, down size the house and supersize the garage. I had met someone in the neighborhood who said "Oh your the one in the little new house with the huge garage". The garage can never be big enough. Mine is just plus size two car. I took a normal two car and added 8 ft to the length and 6 ft to the width. That way I can get two cars in it and all my play things and still have room to actually walk around the cars.
      mine 2 1/2. When the house was built it was a single, but whom ever came after had the god sense to add a bay and a half.

...they are referred to her side and my side respectively , you know which one is my side....the one she gave me. She gave the big one alright.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Astro and I seem to be on a similiar path. Im 48 and my son is 9. So Ill be 57/58 when he starts college. Thats ok, he keeps me feeling young and active. Lovin every minute of it..
      the advantage of having kids too young... being an empty nester at 48 :D I'll be 46 when both kids are in college. I told them they don't have to leave but don't expect me to be here and the rents due at the end of the month.I will be 58 when the youngest starts college. :(
      RIAP
    • I'm just going for no nest at all. I have zero kids. My husband is as married to his job as he is to me at the moment (sometimes more so), so oddly, having no kids really doesn't free up as much time for activities as it probably normally would.

My father and father-in-law both had mid-life babies and will probably never be empty nesters. My youngest sister is 16 years younger than me and my youngest brother is 20 years younger. My husband's youngest brother is 30 years younger than he is. We just borrow their kids and then return them when the fun wears off. :)

Hiking plans - I'm in a new to me place, so everywhere I can possibly go. My husband had a free chance to climb Denali as part of a team and it got scrubbed, so now my previously organized bonus/workout room looks like an outdoor shop because of all the stuff he acquired for that trip.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • I wish you better luck at the Vatican than I had. First time I was there someone blew up one of the offices/shops along the entrance (Vatican Radio maybe, not sure). We had just made it to where we could see the nativity scene when it went off. A big dust cloud was rolling down the street and since we were military they thought it best to get us outta there.

Found out later that evening that it didn't involve us so we went back the next day. Not Catholic, but that was my favorite sightseeing venture in Rome.

Pompeii was favorite site of all though. The plaster casts of the victims was heartbreaking (when the city was being excavated whenever they would chip into a void they filled it with plaster then broke away the lava to reveal what had been encased). There were several of women doubled over in a vain attempt to protect their children. Awful.

But then there was the phallic symbols carved into the stone streets. We had been all over this place in a little tour group and I keep seeing them. Finally, I could take it no longer and called for my tour guide to stop....

"yes, what can I help you with?"
      "well......for lack of a better term, I keep seeing these stone 'cock and balls' in the street. I'm not taking another step until I find out what the hell that's all about"

"I was wondering when someone would noticed. It's a road sign. The standard practice of the era was to put the signage on the street and the phallus in question points the way to the 'brothel', if you will"
      "well hell yeah, seems we're going the right direction. I take it you're gonna shows us that?"

He did. It was awesome. The raised stone beds didn't strike me as being all that, but they had paintings outside of each room that showed the activity that went on inside. That was enough for me to push Pompeii into first place.

Oh yeah, the 'brothel' was, according to him, always on a curved street to limit the sight lines so the minimum number of people would know who was, dare I say, coming and going and the "roadsign" at the intersection where you turn was curved, a "bender" if you will. Also, it was standard practice for the apothecary to be on the same street. My guide was not hip to Bob Seger as my "Betty Lou's getting out tonight" reference did nothing for him.....

Anyway, Rome's not that far away from Naples so go check it out.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Well be in Sorrento for a couple of days. One day we go to Capri and the other probably to Herculanum. It was destroyed by the same eruption that buried Pompeii, but some say it's better than Pompeii. I don't know if it's better, but I do know it's smaller and less crowded which is good enough for me. Will also be going to Delos where they also have giant phallus monuments.
    • I got my permit today for Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore in August.

Day 0 - Drive to Munising, get permit, bus to Grand Marais, drink beer, pretend to be Yooper
      Day 1 - Hike to Au Sable Campground (by lighthouse) - 9.6 miles, pass Sable Falls, Grand Sable Dunes
      Day 2 - Hike to Beaver Creek Campground - 13.3 miles, follow 11 mile beach for most of the day
      Day 3 - Hike to Mosquito Campground (why is is call that?) - 10 miles, pass Spray Falls, Chapel Rock, around Grand Portal Point
      Day 4 - Hike back to car at Munising Falls - 12 miles, pass Miners Castle (whats left of it), camp somewhere on the way home.
      Day 5 - Drive home

About the same distance as last year's hike, but with about 10,000 fewer feet of elevation gain/loss and an unlimited amount of fresh drinking water (~3000 cubic miles!)
    • odd man out wrote:

Well be in Sorrento for a couple of days. One day we go to Capri and the other probably to Herculanum. It was destroyed by the same eruption that buried Pompeii, but some say it's better than Pompeii. I don't know if it's better, but I do know it's smaller and less crowded which is good enough for me. Will also be going to Delos where they also have giant phallus monuments.
      I'm just a simple SC boy, I'm gonna lol whenever/wherever I see that giant stone boners have been erected :)
    • Foresight wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Well be in Sorrento for a couple of days. One day we go to Capri and the other probably to Herculanum. It was destroyed by the same eruption that buried Pompeii, but some say it's better than Pompeii. I don't know if it's better, but I do know it's smaller and less crowded which is good enough for me. Will also be going to Delos where they also have giant phallus monuments.
      I'm just a simple SC boy, I'm gonna lol whenever/wherever I see that giant stone boners have been erected :)
      He He, he said stone boner

huh huh, yeah...sounds like a bar, huh huh, no pun intended.

[IMG:http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh182/sez72/Funny/beavis_butthead_static.jpg]
    • Life is meant to be fun, I have every intention of following through on that quest.

I can't help but think that the anthropologists have it all wrong. These people didn't worship the phallus as a sign of fertility, superiority, etc. I think it went down more like:

"dude, I just carved a giant pecker out of rock and put it up on the hill outside of town, lol"
      "daaaahahahaha! that is terribilus, dude, let's blanket the town with them!"
    • Foresight wrote:

Life is meant to be fun, I have every intention of following through on that quest.

I can't help but think that the anthropologists have it all wrong. These people didn't worship the phallus as a sign of fertility, superiority, etc. I think it went down more like:

"dude, I just carved a giant pecker out of rock and put it up on the hill outside of town, lol"
      "daaaahahahaha! that is terribilus, dude, let's blanket the town with them!"
      it's all Greek to me. :D

...gives a hole new meaning to rock hard.
    • how did early man tell time...only the shadow knows. :D

indian sundial

One day, a cowboy was crossing the desert to do some trading and came upon an Indian. The Indian was laying on his back and had an erection that stuck straight up in the air.

The cowboy asked the Indian what he was doing.

The Indian replied, "Me telling time." This made sense to the cowboy, he was using his penis as a sundial.

A few days later, after completing his trading, the cowboy came across the same Indian. This time the Indian was laying on his back vigorously masturbating.

The cowboy asked what he was doing this time.

The Indian said, "Me winding clock."
    • A woman walks up on her first Indian. Kinda scared not really knowing what to expect or what his intentions or impressions of her were, she did the only she could think of and raised her right arm with her palm facing him and said, "How".

"Me know how, just say when".
    • Leaving for Harper's Ferry in the morning and hiking out NOBO sunday morning. Looks like I may start out doing it all wrong by starting off with a slackpack. I am keeping a journal on postholer.com if anyone wants to follow along. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • It will be a while till I can hike again. In October it'll be a year since I last took chemo, assuming everything goes well.

My wife and i did drive the new 66 Pony the whole width of the FT at Juniper twice yesterday. We had dinner at my fave spot on the St. John's River at Astor. The restaurant has picture windows in the 2nd floor and we just love watching the river, the wildlife, the bridge and everything that floats by. The foods not bad either.

We're gonna rent a houseboat on the St. Johns for a week, check out the springs and the river party spots. Anybody in?

The post was edited 1 time, last by grayblazer ().

• After today just one- Slingshot- we started with 20 but it appears we have outhiked them. The rest of our merry clan- danger, piston, bourbon bill, spice girl, the politician and others stopped at the last shelter 5 or 6 miles before PA. They will hit town tomorrow.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference