Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned hiking plans 2015

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• socks wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It looks like Kathy and I might be able to get away for a few days in early April.
      We're thinking of heading to the Mohawk Trail in Connecticut, but we're not sure yet.
      Anybody have any hints or tips for that trail???

If you look through my photos on TOS, I have a map of the mohawk/A.T. Loop with the locations of the mohawk camp sites penciled in. The sites on the mohawk need to be reserved in advance, it's free but is done by mail so it takes a little while.

I'm just up doing a night feeding rught now, but I can probably find some more info later when I'm more awake and have more brain power.

I found your map, let me ask a question.
      Do you know how long the whole loop is Using the Mohawk and AT to start and finish from the same place.
      If I recall the loop was around in the ballpark of 35 miles.

I had hoped to find our old planning info from the 2013 meetup, but I can't locate it. Either the thread isn't there or maybe we planned the whole thing using the Cafe thread?
      Many of the old cafe posts were deleted or lost (hundreds) during a shut down, I believe was the reason.

no it wsnt organized in the cafe, pretty sure laz had a separate thread for it
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

It looks like Kathy and I might be able to get away for a few days in early April.
      We're thinking of heading to the Mohawk Trail in Connecticut, but we're not sure yet.

If you look through my photos on TOS, I have a map of the mohawk/A.T. Loop with the locations of the mohawk camp sites penciled in. The sites on the mohawk need to be reserved in advance, it's free but is done by mail so it takes a little while.

I'm just up doing a night feeding rught now, but I can probably find some more info later when I'm more awake and have more brain power.

Do you know how long the whole loop is Using the Mohawk and AT to start and finish from the same place.

I had hoped to find our old planning info from the 2013 meetup, but I can't locate it. Either the thread isn't there or maybe we planned the whole thing using the Cafe thread?
      Many of the old cafe posts were deleted or lost (hundreds) during a shut down, I believe was the reason.

I thought so too, but I I looked through Laz's started threads and couldn't find anything.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

ahhh
    • CoachLou wrote:

It was fun, I wish i could have walked the 3 days...................but, I can now. I only have 1 game a week....on Wednesday nite. A bunch of old codgers, like myself.

I believe that was the first walk with cheesecake. :thumbsup:

You realize that this is the time of year where a bunch of newfound "ultralighters" come out of the woodwork on TOS and Facebook to claim that they have a lower base weight than what that cheesecake weighted? I don't believe any of them.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

It was fun, I wish i could have walked the 3 days...................but, I can now. I only have 1 game a week....on Wednesday nite. A bunch of old codgers, like myself.

I believe that was the first walk with cheesecake. :thumbsup:

You realize that this is the time of year where a bunch of newfound "ultralighters" come out of the woodwork on TOS and Facebook to claim that they have a lower base weight than what that cheesecake weighted? I don't believe any of them.

Sillylighter season is upon us. Examples can be seen all down the trail, in their 45 degree quilts lying on their ccf pads squeezed in as tight as they can be in between two people who are carrying more than 30lbs in their pack.
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I'm waiting for someone to claim to have figured out defeating gravity and be carrying a pack with negative weight.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

One of our superintendents found out about my hike. He said "take me with you I'll carry your stuff". Im thinking one of those mini kegs and some steaks would look real good strapped on his back. Lol

Going to use him for bear bait?

I'd love to see a bear that could tap a keg and draw a brewski. "Hey hey BooBoo, look over here at this kegerator."
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I recall a story from Washington State where a bear broke into a cabin. When discovered he had drunk all the Rainer beer, but left the other brands alone! They caught him because he was too drunk to leave........Is this thread drift?.....oops
      We we encourage thread drift on this site. :thumbup:
    • Mountain crossings just posted this on Facebook this morning. Lots of packages from this year's crop of hopeful thru hikers sending unneeded stuff back home.
      Images
      • image.jpg

115.09 kB, 600×600, viewed 386 times
    • Well it looks like our 2 nighter, in April, is out. :(
      I spent yesterday in the emergency room and saw my doctor today.
      He feel the searing pains I've been having yesterday and today are due to a strained, pulled, or maybe torn hip flexure muscle.
      He says to take it easy and I'm gonna do that because the pain is too bad to ignore.
      I've told Kathy that she should go by herself but she hasn't decided yet.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Well it looks like our 2 nighter, in April, is out. :(
      He feel the searing pains I've been having yesterday and today are due to a strained, pulled, or maybe torn hip flexure muscle.
      He says to take it easy and I'm gonna do that because the pain is too bad to ignore.

Sorry to hear that. Give it some time to heal.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hip flexor injuries suuuuuuuuuuuck!

Find you some paper dixie pups, fill with water and freeze. Tear off a little of the cup and rub it on the flexor, tearing away the cup as needed to keep the ice exposed. Greatest relief I found when I had my hip flexor, but be advised you WILL need to put a thick towel around the boys....pro tip.

It's a nagging injury and really sucks for a hiker. They don't tend to go away easy.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Trebor wrote:

With only a few more days I'm wondering how many times you have been packing, unpacking, staring at your stuff, then repacking you've done.....
      well its a new pack without to many compartments for organization, so i had to fool around with it to pack it right. im doing without the stuff sack for my sleeping bag which with my extra clothes are at the bottom of the pack in a compactor bag, although with the cuben fiber, im not sure its necessary, but being its my first time out id rather be drier than wetter. then goes my food bag, then cooking gear,sleeping pad nestled in my extra layers(fleece, and micropuff sweater, rain jkt, hat gloves) tp,water bladder,maps and nook on top. i love the roll top closure.and no zippers to break. the hipbelt pouches will hold my first aid, camera, phone, headlamp,pocket knife,compass.and my tent will get tucked in the mesh outer pocket.not sure whether im bringing the stuff sack for it or not. might be good to keep it dry as i can.stakes and awning pole in one of the side water bottle holsters.

ive packed and unpacked maybe a half dozen times and am pretty happy with where everything goes.
      its all good
    • I thought that I would have to skip a spring section hike because I took two weeks off of work in March to visit Australia and New Zealand. Then I got a call on the day I returned that my job had been eliminated.

No worries (as they say in Oz), I have over 40 weeks of severance pay and a newfound freedom to hike and jump on the motorcycle. My hiking partner and I will be knocking off the 40 miles left in VA in early May right after a cycle trip to Tellico Plains TN. Then we'll work on the Whites in June. July is a trip to Iowa for RAGBRAI (the Des Moines Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) then hopefully some interviews for a new job.

In the interim, my goal is to draw on my Chemical Engineering background and convert fine bourbon into urine.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • LIhikers wrote:

Wow... that sucks. Listen to the doctor's advice and follow the physical therapy instructions if you are given any. Heal up fast!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • LIhikers wrote:

Well that blows...go slow, it's taken me about 6 months to shake off a sprain knee from this past summer, and it still a little tricky at times. Seems like healing theses days takes a lot longer than when I was a kid.
    • Grinder wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I'm waiting for someone to claim to have figured out defeating gravity and be carrying a pack with negative weight.
      How about a CCF pad made with helium?
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I thought that I would have to skip a spring section hike because I took two weeks off of work in March to visit Australia and New Zealand. Then I got a call on the day I returned that my job had been eliminated.

No worries (as they say in Oz), I have over 40 weeks of severance pay and a newfound freedom to hike and jump on the motorcycle. My hiking partner and I will be knocking off the 40 miles left in VA in early May right after a cycle trip to Tellico Plains TN. Then we'll work on the Whites in June. July is a trip to Iowa for RAGBRAI (the Des Moines Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) then hopefully some interviews for a new job.

In the interim, my goal is to draw on my Chemical Engineering background and convert fine bourbon into urine.
      I'm jealous you're going to RAGBRAI! Several of my friends go every year. I'll get there one day.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • My uncle lives in Davenport IA and he kept badgering me to join him. This year, the ride ends in Davenport so it will be one helluva party after we dip a wheel in the Mississippi. Plus, it gives me a reason to get off the couch each day and complete my training rides.

I really want to look back at this late-career sabbatical and be able to say that I made the most of it. Completing VA and another chunk of NH will help.

• jimmyjam wrote:

Rainy day here, so I had another gear explosion in the garage and treated all my stuff with permethrin. Just a couple more weeks.......
      Your garage looks great, been working on mine for a few weeks now, looking forward to getting back out there...winter is just to long in the East when your garage isn't heated.

...I love my garage!

wife wanted me to put her car in the garage...."not as long as I'm alive will this ever happen" I told her, waste of space.

...if your putting your car in your garage, your doing it wrong.
    • socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rainy day here, so I had another gear explosion in the garage and treated all my stuff with permethrin. Just a couple more weeks.......
      Your garage looks great, been working on mine for a few weeks now, looking forward to getting back out there...winter is just to long in the East when your garage isn't heated.

...I love my garage!

wife wanted me to put her car in the garage...."not as long as I'm alive will this ever happen" I told her, waste of space.

Thanks socks. Yeah, the garage is sacred territory. I have everything I need in there: tools, boom box, beer refrig, liquor cabinet, sewing machine, and of course ladders and paint and all the normal stuff.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • socks wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

...I love my garage!

Can not ever see buying a house without a 3 car garage again (unless maybe one with 4).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General