Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

bmt thru hike 2015 pt 1- the plan

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• bmt thru hike 2015 pt 1- the plan

well ive ordered sgt rock's guidebook and started planning my thru hike.
      i enjoyed the trail so much last year i need to go back and do it again. this time i'll be hiking the whole thing solo. it was great having rasty along last year, we're very compatible partners, but this time i want to deal with the solitude alone.
      i have to rethink resupply. last year i did 2 drop boxes . ill probably stay at the green cove motel again where rasty and i stayed last year and use that as one point. i had shipped another box to jacks river country store, but will look for an alternative, as its 4 miles downhill from the trail crossing and was a bit of a pita. that walk took forever, and i even called rasty to see if he could figure out whether i had somehow passed the place, and i was lucky enough to get a ride back to the trailhead.
      it shouldnt take me more than 3 weeks to get to davenport gap, im not sure how long i'll stay out this spring, but may hike into trail days again.
      tentative start date:monday, april 6th.
      its all good
    • Been giving this some thought for a while now. My time is limited for outttings and hiking with friends is great, but it dosen't offer the same experience I seem to want to chase again of that first backing packing trip I did solo as a young man...learned so much about myself. Anyway, I commend you for flying Solo, especially through what seems to be described as a wilder section of trail. I think all should experience that. Have a good hike.

from the seven reasons you should go solo article.

It attunes us to our instincts. When we have no one else to rely on, we have to pay close attention to both our gut and the voice of reason. Deciding where to camp, whether to head to the summit in iffy weather, or whether we’re in a risky situation, and all the other little choices we’re forced to make on our own helps hone those instincts. And the more time we spend tuning into our surroundings without the protection or filter of a group, the more we learn to parse out situations and make smart decisions. Instincts only work if you learn to listen to and heed them.
    • socks wrote:

Been giving this some thought for a while now. My time is limited for outttings and hiking with friends is great, but it dosen't offer the same experience I seem to want to chase again of that first backing packing trip I did solo as a young man...learned so much about myself. Anyway, I commend you for flying Solo, especially through what seems to be described as a wilder section of trail. I think all should experience that. Have a good hike.

from the seven reasons you should go solo article.

It attunes us to our instincts. When we have no one else to rely on, we have to pay close attention to both our gut and the voice of reason. Deciding where to camp, whether to head to the summit in iffy weather, or whether we’re in a risky situation, and all the other little choices we’re forced to make on our own helps hone those instincts. And the more time we spend tuning into our surroundings without the protection or filter of a group, the more we learn to parse out situations and make smart decisions. Instincts only work if you learn to listen to and heed them.

this
      its all good
    • sgt rock posted on hiking hq that the tapoco lodge has been taken over by new owners who are looking to run a hiker friendly lodge with meals and showers. previous owners had attempted to cater to a "better"class of guess, but went out of business after 3 years.
      good news! hope its open this spring. its right off the trail off the new bypass.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

sgt rock posted on hiking hq that the tapoco lodge has been taken over by new owners who are looking to run a hiker friendly lodge with meals and showers. previous owners had attempted to cater to a "better"class of guess, but went out of business after 3 years.
      good news! hope its open this spring. its right off the trail off the new bypass.

That place was fancy. They need to cater to Hikers, Kayakers and Bikers to make it in that area.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

sgt rock posted on hiking hq that the tapoco lodge has been taken over by new owners who are looking to run a hiker friendly lodge with meals and showers. previous owners had attempted to cater to a "better"class of guess, but went out of business after 3 years.

That place was fancy. They need to cater to Hikers, Kayakers and Bikers to make it in that area.

hikers generally don't eat at establishments where "amuse" is on the menu.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hikers generally don't eat at establishments where "amuse" is on the menu.

I'm a chef and I don't eat at places that have amuse either. Give me real food.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • hikerboy wrote:

i enjoyed the trail so much last year i need to go back and do it again. this time i'll be hiking the whole thing solo. it was great having rasty along last year, we're very compatible partners, but this time i want to deal with the solitude alone.
      i have to rethink resupply. last year i did 2 drop boxes . ill probably stay at the green cove motel again where rasty and i stayed last year and use that as one point. i had shipped another box to jacks river country store, but will look for an alternative, as its 4 miles downhill from the trail crossing and was a bit of a pita. that walk took forever, and i even called rasty to see if he could figure out whether i had somehow passed the place, and i was lucky enough to get a ride back to the trailhead.
      it shouldnt take me more than 3 weeks to get to davenport gap, im not sure how long i'll stay out this spring, but may hike into trail days again.

If you hike in to Trail Days we'll see you there. I hope we can get Lou and a bunch of others on board. We'll have that house that sleeps nine again. Possibly TrainWreck. Anybody else just let me know. I'll bring up the Trail Days thread when it gets closer to time.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

If you hike in to Trail Days we'll see you there. I hope we can get Lou and a bunch of others on board. We'll have that house that sleeps nine again. Possibly TrainWreck. Anybody else just let me know. I'll bring up the Trail Days thread when it gets closer to time.

TrainWreck's on board. Her calendar is marked. We'll be there Friday the 16th.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • The Arkansas River Trail Has the longest pedestrian/bicycle bridge in North America that has never been used by trains or motor vehicles, and it is called the Big Dam Bridge.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Gonna take me the next 2 or 3 more summers to finish the AT.

But after that I looking forward to doing some thru hikes of shorter trails in the summers like the BMT, SALT, Pinhoti, JMT, etc.
    • hikerboy wrote:

welll i just booked amtrak for april 4th get into gaineseville on easter,april 5th,booked the night at hiker hostel, which will pick me up in gainesville and shuttle me to dahlonega, and then to springer.starting from springer monday april 6th.
      its official!!
      Yaaaaay!!

Sounds like a good plan, especially for someone who does not care that much for planning. :)
    • Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

welll i just booked amtrak for april 4th get into gaineseville on easter,april 5th,booked the night at hiker hostel, which will pick me up in gainesville and shuttle me to dahlonega, and then to springer.starting from springer monday april 6th.
      its official!!
      Yaaaaay!!

Sounds like a good plan, especially for someone who does not care that much for planning. :)

thats all that needs planning, how to get to the start.the rest is "just walkin"
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

its official!!
      Yaaaaay!!

Badass! In Gainesville, you'll be about 30 minutes from my hometown. :D
      Can't wait to hear about your adventures!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • hikerboy wrote:

its official!!
      Yaaaaay!!

Sounds like a rerun worth watching.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does