Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Lakeshore Trail GSMNP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lakeshore Trail GSMNP

Me and a few others are planning to do this hike the weekend after Easter. We are planning on three nights for the hike. So that should leave a lot of fishing time or exploring each day.
      I read a review of the trail that stated three nights would be perfect to check out the side trails. But the side trails were never noted nor did the review state where the trails lead to...

Does anybody know of good side trails to take?

Is The Hikers Inn the best shuttle option if we don't shuttle ourselves?

i also need to figure out the fishing license. Is it a North Carolina or a Smokey Mountain license. It's confussing to me because the land by the lake should be TVA property and not part of the GSMNP.

Are there any must stay at campsites?
    • Dmax wrote:

Me and a few others are planning to do this hike the weekend after Easter. We are planning on three nights for the hike. So that should leave a lot of fishing time or exploring each day.
      I read a review of the trail that stated three nights would be perfect to check out the side trails. But the side trails were never noted nor did the review state where the trails lead to...

i also need to figure out the fishing license. Is it a North Carolina or a Smokey Mountain license. It's confussing to me because the land by the lake should be TVA property and not part of the GSMNP.

when is easter? im planning on thru hiking the bmt again in early april
      its all good
    • Easter is April 5th this year. We are planning on the 9-12 of April.

ill have my alarm set for the 30 day before mark to make the reservations. .. When thru hiking the BMT do the sites also have to be reserved, or just stating that your thru hiking? Not that I'm planning on cheating the system, just want to know Incase a BMT thru opens up for me sometime in the future.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Dmax wrote:

when is easter? im planning on thru hiking the bmt again in early april

answered my own question, april 5th which is probably when i'll be starting from springer.me and rasty stayed at hikers inn last year, they are very accomodating.
      its all good
    • Shuckstack fire tower has nice views. I even got a picture up there of a bear hanging out in a nearby tree. Then we all realized we left our packs at the turn off and ran back to our packs to protect our food.

Thanks for the page number TJ. Looks like we'll be doing it wrong. For the miles per day and for the fishing opportunities, we are looking at staying at 98, 81, and 90.
    • After talking with the backcountry office today I was able to get my questions answered.

if the permit holder is covering the whole group, or just part of the group, only the permit holders name is needed. And also the number of people in the party.

a person can use either a Nc or Tn license.also, no trout stamp is needed in the park. Which is good because I hope to spend a little time at hazel creek.

the dam will be open to vehicle traffic sometime in April.
    • All you need is a regular tn or Nc license. No trout stamp is needed in the park.

No scented baits or live bait can be used. And only one hook on lures. .. I need to call back and see if the rules are the same if fishing Fontana Lake. Otherwise it's only 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 min after sunset.
    • The one hook rule is for the streams like Hazel Creek. We can fish all hours on the lake and according to the fisheries division I talked to today, we follow regular rules for fishing and bait on the lake as you would any other lake unless Fontana has special regulations. Which I haven't heard of any.
    • Someone had suggested using a cane pole on this hike. I really likes the idea so I stuck it on the side of my pack and it sticks up too high for my comfort. They would fit strapped to my hiking pole but it would rattle and make too much noise. .... So now I have to figure out how to toss a fly with my ice fishing rod. I'm taking a collapsable rod for lake fishing.
    • Dmax wrote:

Campsite #98. It's not a big one, but fun to catch! We had a nice day of hiking and we Re hoping the rain stays away!
      Just right for dinner, I was floating the Etowah and camped on an island and was planning to catch a small fish for dinner, about the second cast I caught the largest spot I've seen, about 6 lb, wanted to throw it back and catch a smaller one but it was late and I was afraid I might not catch another so I ate what I could of it....my conscience still bothers me for not releasing that beautiful fish.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • We spent the last night at campsite #90. What a great site! I could see it getting crowded by boaters once the lake level rises. With the water level low on the lake, they can't get back there far enough. A sailboat showed up with a family sat night but couldn't reach where we were camped. They did make it to the point across the creek.

On the hike out we hit the paved road that takes you across the dam. Between the AT cut off and the visitor building I counted 19 hikers headed into the park.

This picture was taken at the start. Pictured is Underoo, Take5, Mumbles, Fritter, Tangent, and Dmax.
      Images
      • image.jpg

147.06 kB, 800×599, viewed 355 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

You might want to see Shuckstack fire tower.

Sgt. Rock gave some good info about this trail on page 12 of HB's, BMT thread. He says to avoid campsites 50, 86, 90, and 98. He likes campsites 38 and 47.
      We never saw 38 or 47 on the lake shore trail. They must be up one of the side trails. .. All the sites we stayed at were excellent but I can see how at least one would get crowded with lake level at normal summer levels.
    • I'm trying to figure out what they do with the boat campers that show up without a permit. Are they asked to leave by the Rangers or ridge runners? Do they only check permits for hikers?

Or, since it's TVA property, are they just hassling the hikers with the permits? My guess is the boaters tell the ridge runners to take a hike.
    • Dmax wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what they do with the boat campers that show up without a permit. Are they asked to leave by the Rangers or ridge runners? Do they only check permits for hikers?

Or, since it's TVA property, are they just hassling the hikers with the permits? My guess is the boaters tell the ridge runners to take a hike.
      The boaters have to have a permit also. The are not any ridge runners on the Lakeshore trail that I know of. I've only seen Park employees on that trail who have radios.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123