Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AT hike supply list

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

I packed my pack today! Sorry, I don't know ounces, but I weighed myself with it off and with it on, and there was a difference of 18 pounds including everything except food, water, and a 2nd set of clothes. Looking VERY good for my 30 pound goal (in which I included water and food...30 total needs to be my max).
      Pretty proud!

If 30 is your goal, you are golden. 18 lbs + 6 lbs ( 3 days food) + 4.4 lbs ( 2 liters water)= 28.4

Although you are more likely to be carrying 5 days food, but I have always found the 2lb/day heavy for me. So with 5 days at 1.6 you are still only 30.4, and eating and drinking it down as you go.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Not 'til June, unfortunately. I can't quit teaching mid-school year, so that screws up the idea of doing the whole thing. I'm hoping for half this summer, half next. But who knows? I'm a noob so I may come home in a week. :P (Though I REALLY REALLY hope not).
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Not 'til June, unfortunately. I can't quit teaching mid-school year, so that screws up the idea of doing the whole thing. I'm hoping for half this summer, half next. But who knows? I'm a noob so I may come home in a week. :P (Though I REALLY REALLY hope not).

One step at a time, one day at a time, just enjoy everyday for whatever it brings! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • twistwrist wrote:

I packed my pack today! Sorry, I don't know ounces, but I weighed myself with it off and with it on, and there was a difference of 18 pounds including everything except food, water, and a 2nd set of clothes. Looking VERY good for my 30 pound goal (in which I included water and food...30 total needs to be my max).
      Pretty proud!

Resist the last second add-on items.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • twistwrist wrote:

Not 'til June, unfortunately. I can't quit teaching mid-school year, so that screws up the idea of doing the whole thing. I'm hoping for half this summer, half next. But who knows? I'm a noob so I may come home in a week. :P (Though I REALLY REALLY hope not).

Cool, I was just concerned for your 'Winter' experience..................she is not to be trifled with out in the field........ have fun with your walk. :thumbsup:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • gypsy97 wrote:

L Dog wrote: You don't need purification drops and a filter on the AT. Just bring the filter.

My filter crapped out before I got out of Georgia due to the high silt content of the water. Luckily I had brought iodine tabs & neutralizer (a pinch of Vit. C will neutralize the iodine color, taste, and smell of treated water - after allowing sufficient time for the iodine to purify the water.) I would always take a 2nd form of water purification because it is so important, and iodine works very well. I ran out of iodine in Troutdale, VA and got a small amount of chlorine bleach from a hotel maid.

I like the Sawyer Squeeze 'cause it has no moving parts, batteries, or need for replacement cartridges. I take care of it, I don't let it freeze, I carry the backflush syringe, and I use it regularly. I have yet to plug it. [knocking on wood]. I don't want to add chemicals to my water, and don't think it's necessary to do so on the AT. I don't have to worry whether there'll be an outfitter in the next town with my preferred chemical treatment in stock. (Been there, done that). The backup I carry in case of catastrophic failure is a pot and a stove with which I'd boil water.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • LIhikers wrote:

A snake bite kit, really? What do they put in snake bite kits these days??

I've taken the snake bite kit off the list since I posted.

socks wrote:

I use both, and not used both, filter and aqua mira, I feel better using both.

Yeah, I'll take both. The man at REI told me the Sawyer filter I have won't kill viruses but that the drops would. I've been steered wrong by REI employees before, but clean water is worth an extra few ounces to me.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Newest plan to take on my hike starting in two weeks.

Thoughts? Additions? Deletions?

Weight is 27ish pounds with 5 days of food and full water (depending on what food I take. I still have to plan my meals.)
      Files

• FWIW (you know I've never thru hiked), I would leave the sewing kit, deodorant, super glue, 1 pack antibacterial wipes, waterproof matches (most are useless), and journal (because I use my phone to make notes that I later journal). I think you have too many undies too. :)

And what is a "pack front pouch"?
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I found your list confusing. As an example, you had wipes listed in at least 3 places.
      I was unsure if you meant you could use one pack of wipes for multiple uses, or you would carry 3 types of wipes, each for a different purpose.
      There were a number of things like that.
      Your first aid supplies seemed too extensive to me.
      I think you need to redo your supply list, or not.
      At this point I suspect you've decided what you feel comfortable with, and without.
      Besides, you'll figure it out as you walk north!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

FWIW (you know I've never thru hiked), I would leave the sewing kit, deodorant, super glue, 1 pack antibacterial wipes, waterproof matches (most are useless), and journal (because I use my phone to make notes that I later journal). I think you have too many undies too. :)

And what is a "pack front pouch"?
      I've been on the fence about the sewing kit. Aren't there times a needle and thread are needed to make repairs?
      I use the hell out of wipes and store them everywhere. They're 2nd to toilet paper for me as far as not wanting to run out.
      Writing using a pen is a kind of therapy for me, so I'm hoping to be able to bring the journal. It's a lightweight backpacking notebook, tiny as hell.
      TOo many undies? 8| Is there a such thing? ;)
      Thanks a ton for your suggestions! Once I get out there, I know I'll be sending some stuff home. lol

LIhikers wrote:

I found your list confusing. As an example, you had wipes listed in at least 3 places.
      I was unsure if you meant you could use one pack of wipes for multiple uses, or you would carry 3 types of wipes, each for a different purpose.
      There were a number of things like that.
      Your first aid supplies seemed too extensive to me.
      I think you need to redo your supply list, or not.
      At this point I suspect you've decided what you feel comfortable with, and without.
      Besides, you'll figure it out as you walk north!
      I have the wipes listed in three places because I like to keep them in 3 different kits. I need them in privys, when cooking, and when eating. I've found so far in my limited hiking experience that I like those suckers in all kinds of places, but I do realize I may be overkilling it a bit.
      Other than wipes, what other things did you see listed multiple times?
      You are right about the first aid kit. That's one thing I still want to pick through in depth...that and my food supply.

Thank you both for your suggestions!! :)

• i'm lousy at gear lists; one persons essential is anothers totally useless. i carried at least 2 paperback books at all times - sometimes 3 - so who am i to tell anyone to leave something at home?

with that said a few comments which you are totally free to ignore.

i don't know why you want a headlamp and a mini mag. i thru'd with a mini mag, and when i finished i upgraded to a headlamp and put the mini mag in the car for emergency use.

paper towels? lots of paper towels? never used em. toilet paper and a bandana took care of anything i would have used a paper towel for.

i ate my meals out of the pot they were cooked in; no need for bowls.

i understand why you have everything that is listed for your first aid kit. i also predict that as you get more experience that list will shrink.

i really like that you have thot ahead and have a sewing kit. my pack broke in the gsmnp; i luckily borrowed a needle from another hiker and taught myself how to sew using waxed dental floss as thread. ever since then i have carried a needle large enough to get through anything on my pack.

you don't need deodorant. you'll stink but deodorant isn't gonna help.

having a complete at guide (rather than ripping out pages) with your notes in it is a good souvenier.

lol water bag? i mailed mine home after i used it 1 time in the first month and a half. thats an example of an item i referred to in my first sentence. i got a lotta criticism for that one.

i wouldn't carry a knee brace unless you have a preexisting condition.

mace? ok i guess if that makes ya feel better. better than a gun.

i'm unclear how much water you are carrying. its summer; i would carry 2 quarts.

i'm no ounce weenie, so as an adult i carry a real wallet.

the above is just details. the big picture is that if you are carrying 27 pounds you are good to go. you will add stuff and get rid of stuff as you go, but at 27 pounds you are not setting yourself up for failure as the hiker who starts off with 60 pounds.

mountain crossings does pack shake downs for anyone who wants one. they send back over a ton of stuff every year. as of late march, the most they had reduced a hikers pack weight was 29 pounds. think about that - that is more than you are carrying!

below is a picture of gear hikers had returned in late march waiting for the ups truck...

good luck with your hike. i'm sure you'll do fine.

[IMG:https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11052880_940590195975565_2791686076850013086_n.jpg?oh=6c49e4d573549f7c441121a797f60338&oe=55C4C76B]
      2,000 miler
    • One of the heaviest items you will carry is your water. If you are using a guide book simply check it in the morning to see where the water crossings are. Carry just enough water to get you there (if you know its still active). Theres no need to start out in the morning with 2 or 3 liters of water if you are going to cross over a water source every few hours.
      It takes time to get comfortable doing this but you will get the hang of it quickly. And you will learn how much water you personally need. Some people drink more than others.

One liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds (34oz)
      One empty one liter size Nalgene bottle weighs 6.2 ounces

So if you are carrying two liters of water in Nalgene bottles that adds up to roughly 5 pounds........
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

One of the heaviest items you will carry is your water. If you are using a guide book simply check it in the morning to see where the water crossings are. Carry just enough water to get you there (if you know its still active).
      thats the 24 dollar question for a long distance hiker...

i know that noontootla creek is never gonna be dry. (and if it ever is we got global warming problems that are much more pressing than a hike.) and in a month or so the spring at woods hole sheleter is gonna be dry.

but if i'm in say, new york, for the first time in the middle of summer? i don't have a clue so i'm keeping both quarts full. and probably - given what i know about new york - buying a gatorade in town and carrying it too.
      2,000 miler
    • I always carry a very small roll of Kenyon repair tape, much, much better than duck tape. I tried to find an appropriate link but all the tapes I saw were much larger than what I carry. Mine is about 1" wide. It's so light the scales won't move. I have patched a tent rain fly, down jacket (several times-embers from a fire), and I have a sleeping bag I added down to every baffle by cutting a hole about 1" long and using this tape to seal the hole, it's been washed twice and no sign of the tape breaking down.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

i don't know why you want a headlamp and a mini mag. i thru'd with a mini mag, and when i finished i upgraded to a headlamp and put the mini mag in the car for emergency use.

paper towels? lots of paper towels? never used em. toilet paper and a bandana took care of anything i would have used a paper towel for
      [IMG:https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11052880_940590195975565_2791686076850013086_n.jpg?oh=6c49e4d573549f7c441121a797f60338&oe=55C4C76B]
      Hey! Thanks for the thoughtful response, Max Patch.
      My dorky reason for 2 flashlights is that I don't want to not have light if one fails. Getting up at 2am to piss without light because my headlamp broke or something is worth the extra weight of a tiny flashlight...so far. A few miles in, I'll probably get back on here and say you told me so. ;)

Viva Paper towels ARE my TP! They'll hold up better in wet conditions than actual TP and can be more multi-purpose in my very humble, permanoob opinion. Since it's my mountain money, I'm taking tons. I get the "select-a-size", use the smallest size and tear it in half for really small pieces used as tissue, tp, dish wiping, cleaning anything, etc.

The pages in my AT guide have started falling out on their own, so might as well roll with that. lol! I think it's way too heavy to carry the whole book.

Yeah, in my months of preparation for this, I've gone from planning to take a gun to a 12 oz can of bear spray now down to settling on mace. "I done good." ;)

Definitely plan to visit Mountain Crossings, but by the time I get there, I'll be doing well on my own. ;)

Trebor wrote:

One of the heaviest items you will carry is your water. If you are using a guide book simply check it in the morning to see where the water crossings are. Carry just enough water to get you there (if you know its still active). Theres no need to start out in the morning with 2 or 3 liters of water if you are going to cross over a water source every few hours.
      It takes time to get comfortable doing this but you will get the hang of it quickly. And you will learn how much water you personally need. Some people drink more than others.

One liter of water weighs 2.2 pounds (34oz)
      One empty one liter size Nalgene bottle weighs 6.2 ounces

So if you are carrying two liters of water in Nalgene bottles that adds up to roughly 5 pounds........
      Nalgene bottles were SOOO yesterday. ;)

I carry smart water bottles because they fit my Sawyer Water filter.

• There is only one correct way to hike..."MY Way"! You have to find out what that is for you. As Max Patch said the list is ever evolving. I bet neither of us would start with the same gear we did on our thrus back in 88( most of it belongs in museums!). Your gear list looks resonable according to your adjustments. I used to say a thru hie was just a bunch of week long backpacking trips back to back. Now on the AT it's can be more like weekend trips with resupply every few days. Don't fret it. You will learn very quickly on the trail what you need & what you don't need. You will find out how little you really do need. Then again there are things you will want no matter what. I met one Thru Hiker on the PCT that carried a beach chair. One of those canvas ones that sit about 6" off the ground. Said he didn't like sitting on the ground after hiking all day. He carried it over 1,000 miles at that point so I guess it went all the way. You just have to find what works best for you. After over 5,000 miles I'm still trying to find that perfect fit!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mountain-Mike ().

• 3L of water and 8 lbs of food are heavy as hell....14.6 lbs.

I've packed and repacked my "final" pack (discarding some of the things you all suggested such as deodorant, extra flashlight, etc. I've packed some stuff into smaller amounts/containers.

At first weigh it was 33.6 pounds, 3.6 lbs over my goal. After repacking, it's down to 32.2. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see if I can find where to shed those extra 2.2 pounds. My 8 pound food bag (for 4.5 days) may be able to lose a little weight. I've packed a small container of 5 tbsp peanut butter, but that's going to be the first thing to go...that shits heavy! I was planning to add a flask of liquor, but at this weight, I guess I'll stick to safety meetings. ;)

I've also packed myself a resupply box I'll ship this week to Waynseboro, PA, my first stop on June 9.

• twistwrist wrote:

3L of water and 8 lbs of food are heavy as hell....14.6 lbs.
      i'd take 2L of water and if you find its not enough just buy a gatorade in town.

mountain mike and i hiked the same year and a couple days ago he explained how that was a drought year. i never carried more than 2L of water and was fine by paying attention to where the water sources were and regularly topping off. and this was before trail angels left water bottles by the side of the road.

(i would not have taken one of those water bottles unless it had never been opened. too many nut jobs out there.)
      2,000 miler
    • Pack frustrations.

I weighed it last night at 36 lbs, repacked it and got it down to 32.4. Reevaluated today and apparently that was with only 1 full smart water bottle. The other only had a little water in it when I weighed last night. Oops.

I purged my pack again today, getting my food bag from 8.0 to 6.8 lbs, adding the full amount of water (2L + 1 qt) and I'm still at 33lbs.

I'm carrying 3 lbs of clothes, and I know the general rule of thumb is 2 lbs, but I don't see where I can cut that. Suggestions? My clothing packed is as follows:
      I've got a camp bag with a lightweight T-shirt and 1 pair of lightweight shorts.
      Hiking bag with an underarmor long-sleeved shirt and underarmor leggings for base layer and bug protections (should I cut that out?), glove liners, 2 pairs of undies, 2 sock liners, 2 socks
      Cold bag with 1 pair of wool socks, warm hat, underarmor pants, and a fleece shirt.

I may not be able to attain my goal of 30 lbs. I hate not reaching goals.

• We can all give advice, much of which works for us but not you, in the end you will determine what works for you as you go along. For me, the best way to save weight was water, the first 415 miles I only carried a 24 oz water bottle, I drank as much as I could at each water hole and planned for my bottle to be empty when I reached the next water hole. I later went with a 32 oz...but the 24 oz was working okay. I did carry a 2L Platypus for camp use and to have if I reached a long dry stretch, never needed it for that....water is your greatest weight...then food.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Thanks Dry Bones. I know I'll have to figure it out along the way. I just get pissed if I set goals and can't reach them. :P

Looks like 33lbs will be my starting weight, but you better believe I'll be eating the heaviest food first and will really be playing with my H2O amounts. I tend to be a frequent drinker, even in everyday activities. At the gym, I can down nearly a liter in an hour long workout. Maybe I will learn I'm starting with too much (hopefully so), but I can't stand the thought of hiking thirsty.

My pack itself is just under 4 lbs, a bit on the heavy side, but my dad bought it for me because he "wanted me to have a piece of him with me on the trail". For sentimental and monetary reasons, I wouldn't consider a lighter pack right now. With 5.7lbs of water, 6.8 lbs of food, and a nearly 4lb pack, that's half my weight right there. I did include a couple of shots of vodka. When I weighed my pack with and without it, the scale didn't change, so I left it in. ;)

• you'll figure it out soon enough.

the night before i left on my thru i weighed my pack. 52 pounds. (5 days of food and 1L of water). i didn't know what my pack "should" weigh, but i thot that anything over 50 was stupid, so i found 2 pounds of stuff to get rid of.

between springer and damascus i added 1L of water and a philosophers guide (first guidebook). so i added approximately 2.5 pounds, but pack weight at damascus was down to 45 pounds with 5 days of food. so i found 7.5 pounds of unnecessary stuff that was mailed home or given away.

if you really really really wanted to find 3 pounds before you leave i bet if you spent a day and went to mountain crossings and have them do a shakedown they'd find it for ya. just bring your checkbook. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Yup, your ahead of the game in my book of thee ole 40-45 pound pack...33lbs. Ain't all that bad to start, and as you get legs and strong, you won't even feel that. I remember doing one hike with around 33lbs. It literally melted away after a couple days, didn't even notice it.