Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AT hike supply list

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• If you starting at Harpers Ferry you may want to consider cutting back on some of your cold weather clothes. Leave it with someone you know and they can mail it to NH or where you are when feel you need it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • socks wrote:

Yup, your ahead of the game in my book of thee ole 40-45 pound pack...33lbs. Ain't all that bad to start, and as you get legs and strong, you won't even feel that. I remember doing one hike with around 33lbs. It literally melted away after a couple days, didn't even notice it.
      I broke my back a few months ago, so I sure as hell hope you're right. Thirty was my personal goal for that reason, but 33 it will be.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • One thing to consider is that many times, backpacks have features you don't need that can easily be removed by cutting them or removing the stitches. I haven't been able to bring myself to do this yet personally, but I know that I can remove at least a full pound of my weight from my Baltoro 70 (my winter pack) just by cutting off the bells, whistles and nonsense extras that they built in primarily to catch your eye at the store, and which don't serve much of a purpose on an actual hike.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Astro wrote:

If you starting at Harpers Ferry you may want to consider cutting back on some of your cold weather clothes. Leave it with someone you know and they can mail it to NH or where you are when feel you need it.
      Get the cold weather gear in Hanover, or Glencliff at the very latest. People have died of exposure in the Whites in every month of the year. I've personally been in blizzard conditions on Moosilauke in high summer.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Astro wrote:

If you starting at Harpers Ferry you may want to consider cutting back on some of your cold weather clothes. Leave it with someone you know and they can mail it to NH or where you are when feel you need it.
      Get the cold weather gear in Hanover, or Glencliff at the very latest. People have died of exposure in the Whites in every month of the year. I've personally been in blizzard conditions on Moosilauke in high summer.
      Yep, me and Kathy got snowed on going up Moosilauke too, one August.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Astro wrote:

I considered this and would LOVE to leave my cold layers at home. I hadn't planned on bringing any at the onset of my hike, but so many others with more experience than I say even in the summer to take a layer of warm clothes for those cool nights in camp. I'm very tempted though. My fleece shirt itself is probably more than half a pound. Lows in the high 50s and highs in the 80s for the entire extended forecast in HF.
      Good suggestion. Thanks!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Astro wrote:

I considered this and would LOVE to leave my cold layers at home. I hadn't planned on bringing any at the onset of my hike, but so many others with more experience than I say even in the summer to take a layer of warm clothes for those cool nights in camp. I'm very tempted though. My fleece shirt itself is probably more than half a pound. Lows in the high 50s and highs in the 80s for the entire extended forecast in HF.Good suggestion. Thanks!
      Oh! I always bring at least a baselayer, a tuque and light gloves, and a rainsuit on any hike longer than a weekend. Even at low elevation, you get the occasional cold snap. I personally wouldn't ditch the fleece shirt, either, on a long trip, unless you want to find yourself wearing your sleeping bag as a cloak. I guess it depends on how warm you usually are. Sitting still, I want the fleece at fairly warm temperatures; hiking hard, I can be warm in T-shirt and shorts when it's near freezing. So I bring the fleece, for the times I'm sitting still.

I wouldn't hike north out of Hanover without also adding at least a puffy jacket and heavier mitts. Probably fleece pants as well. The Whites can be brutal. I've found myself postholing in June.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Astro wrote:

I considered this and would LOVE to leave my cold layers at home. I hadn't planned on bringing any at the onset of my hike, but so many others with more experience than I say even in the summer to take a layer of warm clothes for those cool nights in camp. I'm very tempted though. My fleece shirt itself is probably more than half a pound. Lows in the high 50s and highs in the 80s for the entire extended forecast in HF.Good suggestion. Thanks!
      Oh! I always bring at least a baselayer, a tuque and light gloves, and a rainsuit on any hike longer than a weekend. Even at low elevation, you get the occasional cold snap. I personally wouldn't ditch the fleece shirt, either, on a long trip, unless you want to find yourself wearing your sleeping bag as a cloak. I guess it depends on how warm you usually are. Sitting still, I want the fleece at fairly warm temperatures; hiking hard, I can be warm in T-shirt and shorts when it's near freezing. So I bring the fleece, for the times I'm sitting still.
      I wouldn't hike north out of Hanover without also adding at least a puffy jacket and heavier mitts. Probably fleece pants as well. The Whites can be brutal. I've found myself postholing in June.
      i seriously doubt youd be doing any postholing, although snow isnt uncommon at the higher elevations in june and theres been snow in tucks ravine into late july. that being said, temps in the 40s above treeline with 30-40 mph winds arent uncommon at all in the whites,along with almost daily t storms in the late afternoons from late june through july.a puffy, hat and gloves are a good idea.either way, try to hike the whites when the weather is good. its safer, and the views are worth waiting for.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

i seriously doubt youd be doing any postholing, although snow isnt uncommon at the higher elevations in june and theres been snow in tucks ravine into late july.
      Yeah, I've only ever found myself postholing once in summer, and it was a seriously freaky event. (June of 1976, if memory serves.) And it was pretty much all melted again a few days later. Everyone in NH was talking about it - "this never happens."

But once in a blue moon it does. Legendary Catskill hikers William Curtis and Allen Ormsbee perished in a snowstorm near Lake of the Clouds Hut in June of 1900.
    • I could not open your spread sheet, could you copy and paste it in a post?

You'll lose one, if not two of those bottles within a week. A 2L Platypus works well to make one trip to the water supply when you reach camp, gives you (me at least) enough water for the night and enough to start the next day, also serves as a backup bottle, folds away nicely, I use a rubber band to keep it folded. I have a Jetboil but opted for a Foster can and modified cat stove, they barely move the scale.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • If you're really distressed at not making 30 lbs just put a flashlight and a couple of other small things in your pants pocket. ;)
      The paranoia about getting to certain weight figures is bullshyte. You pack what you want. If you can't carry it you will find what you can do without soon enough. If you can carry it you don't have a problem.
      My pack on the AT was anywhere between 29 and 40 pounds when I bothered to weigh. Mostly around 32/33. The people you hike with will be the ones that you learn from. Some will have lighter things you like.
      Some will have lighter stuff you don't like. Some will have heavier stuff. Don't sweat it. You will find your own gear changes become obvious to you.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Thanks y'all. I've gotten over it and have been training with my full pack at the gym for weeks now. I think I'll be ok...planning to eat the heaviest stuff first.
      good idea. ive kicked myself for carrying a block of cheese for 3 days . except for the day after resupply, every day your pack gets lighter, and at the same time you get a little stronger.
      its all good