Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Basic sleep systems

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Basic sleep systems

I think having "sticky" threads at the top of each forum would help newbies and attract more folks to our forum!

What is your basic list of items you include in your sleep system? Here's what I have so far. Am I missing anything?

Revelation sleeping quilt
      REI travel sack (liner)
      ThermaRest ¾ length pad
      Sleep screen (if bugs are bad)
      Pillow
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Air Mattress
      Western Moutanineering HighLite

Just use my clothes bag for my pillow.

If it looks like temperatures will stay below freezing for long I use my old Kelty 20* LightYear Down bag.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I have one of the X-large (25 inch wide) Neoair's - I'm a side sleeper, so I like the wider width, but I cut the length down a bit to make it shorter, - it's about the length of a regular pad. I have a 10 yr old Mountain Hardware Phantom 15 for cold weather that is still in prime condition, I also always use a liner, I have a cool max liner. In really cold weather, I'm inside the liner, inside the bag, in warmer weather, I may be inside the liner and no bag, in really hot weather, I but the neoair inside the liner and sleep on top of it - I don't like the plastic feel of the neoair against my skin, so if I'm sleeping in shorts, I use the liner as a bed sheet
    • jimmyjam wrote:

earplugs in case you end up in a shelter or hostel.

Very rarely use earplugs, but sometimes in a shelter, hey, you gotta. Put a pair in one evening coming thru the Smokies as the shelter was packed (2 floors). I kinda tripped the next morning when my hikin' partner nudged me awake about 10:00 am (we normally start around 6-7ish). I had not heard any activity and slept the whole time the shelter cleared out, kinda scary! I guess I prefer to hear whats going on around me and catch a cat nap around lunch time.. ;)
    • July wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

earplugs in case you end up in a shelter or hostel.

Very rarely use earplugs, but sometimes in a shelter, hey, you gotta. Put a pair in one evening coming thru the Smokies as the shelter was packed (2 floors). I kinda tripped the next morning when my hikin' partner nudged me awake about 10:00 am (we normally start around 6-7ish). I had not heard any activity and slept the whole time the shelter cleared out, kinda scary! I guess I prefer to hear whats going on around me and catch a cat nap around lunch time.. ;)

i keep a wad of cotton in a tiny baggie in my first aid kit. i can use it for earplugs when necessary, but i generally carry it as tinder, douse it in hand sanitizer when necessary.
      its all good
    • Astro wrote:

Does anyone ever use a liner?

If so, what do brand/type do you use?
      Is it for an extra temperature boost?
      Or to keep your bag cleaner?

I was wondering the same thing. I have a sleeping sack good for temps above 55. I wondered if it would be worth carrying the extra weight to use it as a liner, but not in summer months obviously.
      I guess when I go on February hikes, I probably would carry the extra weight since I'll only be out a couple of nights at a time.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Always use a silk liner to keep bag clean. Have recently got two thermo liners to boost temp rating as well but haven't used them yet. Combined with our 40 degree WM bags they should be sufficient to meet all temp needs on the Bib.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I have one of the thermo-liners (midlevel) and use it with my WM 20degree bag when hammock camping. I just picked up a new way to insulate the bottom against wind/CBS so I might not need them anymore.

Every time I get out of my sleeping bag I turn them inside out and hang them to air out in the breeze while I pack the site unless it's pouring rain.
      Exped Air Pillow UL M
      HammockGear Burrow 50 quilt

Fall/Spring:
      Exped Synmat UL 7 M
      Exped Air Pillow UL M
      Marmot Helium +15

Except in the heat of summer, I generally carry a pair of Acorn fleece Sacred Socks, and either a light or medium base layer for sleeping. Down vest, smartwool glove liners, merino beanie and buff are all part of my "sleep system." If I'm not wearing the buff, it slips over my pillow.

I have one of those Sea to Summit rip-stop silk liners. I've put it in my pack, taken it out a bunch of times. Haven't used it.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • TT Contrail 27.5 oz
      BA Q-Core SL 23.0 oz
      BA Deer Park 30 degree... 49.0 oz

Total Weight 99.0.oz or 6.2 lbs for $700.00
      I need the extra wide bag and pad because I'm extra wide. Opinions? With my Atmos 65 I get a total weight for my Big 4 of 9 lbs 11 oz...not bad? total cost =$925.00