Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Mountain House

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mountain House

I am not a big fan of Mountian House, and my trail food tends to be Packit Gourmet, Hawk Vittles or my DIY, but I must confess that there is one thing MH makes that I have come to realize is absolutley amazing and that is their freeze dried ice cream sandwich. Once you get beyond the gimmick, and realize it is not ice cream, it has a nice crunch, taste and texture and kind of melts. It reminds me in many ways of a giant Oreo cookie without the waxy or greasy texture.

This is my Mountain House confession.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Years ago in the Army, always smiled when I got that chicken-ala-king MRE thrown in my lap. Many years later, I must confess, the MH chick-ala-king tastes purdy darn good after a long days walk. It,s as if the gourmet reincarnation of that long ago MRE. Still prefer FB dehydrated cooking.

Mountain House Confession.
    • Locally we have a brand called Backcountry Cuisine instead of Mountain House. They do a packet that is just beef mince and another that is vegetables, peas corn diced carrot etc.
      I find that a packet of each along with some asian spices can boost about 5 ramen meals.
      But the only meal I actually like is their spaghetti bolognese.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • July wrote:

always smiled when I got that chicken-ala-king MRE

The chicken ala thing was second only to the beast stew. I LOVED the beef stew.

I've had some of the MRE's from the latest generation, and frankly I prefer the old stuff we got in the 80's.

The MH meals I've had I liked. Not enough to remember which ones, but that's just a function of crappy memory, not forgetful food. I want to do more DIY with the dehydrator now that I think I have the hang of it.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • During my time participating in the Southeast Asian War Games (68-69) We came in second by the way. I was addicted to LRRP rations. Especially the chicken and Rice, Beef and Rice, and Chicken Ala King. A couple of years ago I was told that Mountain House was the contractor who supplied these. I bought some MH Chicken and Rice in #10 cans and it's close, but doesn't seem the same. I also heard that LRRP rations had some additives that would not be used nowadays?

Anyone have any knowledge of this?
    • If I ever get to do a thru, Mountain House is probably going to be my biggest expense (unless I go Oz style and grab a steak at every town I get a chance). Love Chili Mac and Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce. Also like the Beef Stew and Mexican Rice and Chicken.

Never got tired of it in 4 weeks in summer of 2013, and doubt I will after 7 weeks this summer. After to 10 to 12 hours of hiking I really enjoy the simplicity of knowing after boiling some water on my JetBoil and 9 minutes later I have something good to eat.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

If I ever get to do a thru, Mountain House is probably going to be my biggest expense (unless I go Oz style and grab a steak at every town I get a chance). Love Chili Mac and Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce. Also like the Beef Stew and Mexican Rice and Chicken.

Never got tired of it in 4 weeks in summer of 2013, and doubt I will after 7 weeks this summer. After to 10 to 12 hours of hiking I really enjoy the simplicity of knowing after boiling some water on my JetBoil and 9 minutes later I have something good to eat.

I get em once in a while for a treat, but theyre too expensive, and id rather spend the extra money in town. my favorites are lasagna and beef stroganoff.
      its all good
    • July wrote:

Years ago in the Army, always smiled when I got that chicken-ala-king MRE thrown in my lap. Many years later, I must confess, the MH chick-ala-king tastes purdy darn good after a long days walk. It,s as if the gourmet reincarnation of that long ago MRE. Still prefer FB dehydrated cooking.

We got a comunnica from my wife's uncle written on the back of a torn "Chicken Tetrazinni" MRE box when he was in desert storm, complete with doodled draw-in stamp and a bunch of letters and numbers signifying a military postal code of some sort. We thought it quite comical, though it's prolly pretty common.
    • socks wrote:

July wrote:

Years ago in the Army, always smiled when I got that chicken-ala-king MRE thrown in my lap. Many years later, I must confess, the MH chick-ala-king tastes purdy darn good after a long days walk. It,s as if the gourmet reincarnation of that long ago MRE. Still prefer FB dehydrated cooking.

We got a comunnica from my wife's uncle written on the back of a torn "Chicken Tetrazinni" MRE box when he was in desert storm, complete with doodled draw-in stamp and a bunch of letters and numbers signifying a military postal code of some sort. We thought it quite comical, though it's prolly pretty common.

Mail is very important to a Soldier. These days I guess internet access has simplified this process, ie. skype to see four family. Back in the 80's the mre's had no heat source and no one carried esbit or heat tabs. When the opportunity afforded itself, we would throw the dinner bag on the manifold of a Jeep, this was pre humvee times. Eat'in hot chick ala king in the field was like shitt'in in high cotton!
    • I like Mountain House, so does Rugby. Look folks - those box stores are looking to move the stuff off the shelves RIGHT NOW! they want to reduce prior to inventory in March. I never pay top dollar, there are always sales after hunting season. I think the other manufactures you mentioned have huge merit.

get yourself to Dicks Sport, Sport Auth, REI, EMS, ETC... even on line shippers - forget drop shippers.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

I like Mountain House, so does Rugby. Look folks - those box stores are looking to move the stuff off the shelves RIGHT NOW! they want to reduce prior to inventory in March. I never pay top dollar, there are always sales after hunting season. I think the other manufactures you mentioned have huge merit.

get yourself to Dicks Sport, Sport Auth, REI, EMS, ETC... even on line shippers - forget drop shippers.

Mountain Houses are the bomb.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Astro wrote:

If I ever get to do a thru, Mountain House is probably going to be my biggest expense (unless I go Oz style and grab a steak at every town I get a chance). Love Chili Mac and Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce. Also like the Beef Stew and Mexican Rice and Chicken.

I'm honestly amazed that you can eat them that consistently and not get sick of them, more power to you for that. I pack one or two mountain house or backpacker's pantry meals per week when I hike, any more than that and they become a gut bomb.

I went hiking with a buddy last fall that packed three MH meals per day for a six day trip and ate them breakfast lunch and dinner. By the fourth day he was begging to trade them for my grocery store food.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Sarcasm - if you don't add enough water the food removes water from the intestine. Very much llike swallowing a dry sponge. All dried food has this problem.

but as a kid in the 80s exposed to these brand new MREs, that was the best the best part about them. We all loved the freeze dried blocks of fruit and just had to eat them without hydration.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

We all loved the freeze dried blocks of fruit and just had to eat them without hydration.

Those weren't too bad without adding water, but the "beef" and "pork" patties were evil. Especially if you ate three of them without water like a guy in my platoon did in boot camp. "Oh, those drill instructors just say sh*t like that to mess with our heads." We had a lot of laughs at his expense.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Sarcasm - if you don't add enough water the food removes water from the intestine. Very much llike swallowing a dry sponge. All dried food has this problem.

but as a kid in the 80s exposed to these brand new MREs, that was the best the best part about them. We all loved the freeze dried blocks of fruit and just had to eat them without hydration.

Grinder wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

We all loved the freeze dried blocks of fruit and just had to eat them without hydration.

Those weren't too bad without adding water, but the "beef" and "pork" patties were evil. Especially if you ate three of them without water like a guy in my platoon did in boot camp. "Oh, those drill instructors just say sh*t like that to mess with our heads." We had a lot of laughs at his expense.

You 2 boots missed out on ham& eggs and pound cake........ :D
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Oh no I was no boot my exposure to the military was life as a Navy brat and lucky to be in a scout troops that got to participate a few times in drill weekends with a local Guard FA company.

As 12 and 13 yo scouts we thought MREs were he most amazing food and I thought that the Chiefs mess aboard the USS Shenandoah was the greatest restaurant in the world.
    • CoachLou wrote:

I have some sympathy for any service brat..............they had to endure some time of basic training for 18 years. My son will attest

I consider myself a very luck brat. The Navy kept my dad in Norfolk for 17 years -- from the year before I came along until he retired. There were deployments, sure, but I was able to get to grow up without getting uprooted every couple years.