Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Backpacking versus Thru-hiking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I will second that motion, Tuckahoe.

I have hiked parts of the AT with just a tarp as my shelter. I have gotten very hungry, eaten more than three meals a day, and sat on the privy twice in one day (without having the runs). I ate a pound of hot dogs one night, and a dozen eggs the next morning. I ate like a pig at Wendy's and went back for seconds. I had trail legs when I walked a 26 mile day in Maryland, and 19 mile days hiking out-and-back at both ends of GSMNP. But I am not a thru-hiker.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • AdventureMyk wrote:

I will admit it's not uncommon to toss in just one earbud when kayaking and playing a song like One Tree Hill (U2) which has the perfect cadence for paddling. Some of the longer stretches seem to just go on and on and that's where a good song helps keep the rhythm.

Come to think of it, am I the only kayak-camper on here?

You're not alone. I've been known to kayak camp. I got a 14' wilderness system tsunami I go out on lakes and camp with. Love sleeping on the islands. It's the main reason I bought a hammock.
    • Tangent wrote:

You're not alone. I've been known to kayak camp. I got a 14' wilderness system tsunami I go out on lakes and camp with. Love sleeping on the islands. It's the main reason I bought a hammock.

My 2 17' are a Tsunami and a Perception Eclipse. I love the storage of the Tsu but the handling/agility of the Eclipse. Wish they made a way to blend them. :)

Add in a 14 Dagger Savana and a 14 Necky Zoar to round out the crew and I have pretty much everything camping-wise covered.

Tangent wrote:

My 2 17' are a Tsunami and a Perception Eclipse. I love the storage of the Tsu but the handling/agility of the Eclipse. Wish they made a way to blend them. :)

Add in a 14 Dagger Savana and a 14 Necky Zoar to round out the crew and I have pretty much everything camping-wise covered.

I like the 14' Necky Manetou.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

I've been wanting to get a larger kayak and do the paddling trail around the florida keys. Open coastal waters seem like fun.

Open coastal waters are fun with a 8 foot boat

I guess hanging with the sharks could definitely be exciting. 8o

I've only had one close encounter with a shark. It looked like a 8 foot plus Bull which was being hunted by a pack of dolphins. I got caught in between them.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

I've been wanting to get a larger kayak and do the paddling trail around the florida keys. Open coastal waters seem like fun.

I've only had one close encounter with a shark. It looked like a 8 foot plus Bull which was being hunted by a pack of dolphins. I got caught in between them.

Let me make sure I got this right, the pack of dolphins was hunting the shark?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

Yes. Dolphins are viscous killers and hunt in packs.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

8 to 10 core buddies in the group. They often combine pods to form temporary super pods. Kind off reminds me of a festival. Dolphins have more in common with lions and humans they they do with other sea animals like whales. They are loving, violent, playful, protective. They also commit murder like lions for the purpose of mating.

They are assholes
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

8 to 10 core buddies in the group. They often combine pods to form temporary super pods. Kind off reminds me of a festival. Dolphins have more in common with lions and humans they they do with other sea animals like whales. They are loving, violent, playful, protective. They also commit murder like lions for the purpose of mating.

They are assholes

One of the most interesting creatures on earth.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

They are assholes

Well they are Mammals.
    • I'm not sure even where to draw the line between short-haul and long-distance hiking. Fortunately, I don't have to: we already decided that a four-day weekend is still weekending, so when I had to abort an NPT thru-hike, it kept my 'clueless weekender' status intact!

I'm tempted to put the line at where you start needing to resupply. If you're going farther than you can carry your consumables, that's 'long-haul.' (Adjust for hiker speed and willingness to hump loads.)

But I see all combinations of light and heavy, be-gadget-ed and device-less, fast and slow, long- and short-haul out there.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

I'm not sure even where to draw the line between short-haul and long-distance hiking. Fortunately, I don't have to: we already decided that a four-day weekend is still weekending, so when I had to abort an NPT thru-hike, it kept my 'clueless weekender' status intact!

I'm tempted to put the line at where you start needing to resupply. If you're going farther than you can carry your consumables, that's 'long-haul.' (Adjust for hiker speed and willingness to hump loads.)

But I see all combinations of light and heavy, be-gadget-ed and device-less, fast and slow, long- and short-haul out there.

I couldn't agree with you more, and when I use the term short and long haul, it seeme more appropriate than all of the other terms that we so often use like thru-hiker and etc. If we draw a line, I see that line as broad, somewhat blury, and often dependent on the individual. But I see the line at the point where the duration of the hike is longer than the initial consumables and where the physical (or even mental) needs begin to change. Regardless of where one draws the line, the line is not dependent on whether one carries an MP3 player, a tent, tarp, or a ti pot.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tangent wrote:

I bought a Current Designs Storm GT with that type trip in mind, could never find others interested in long trips so I sold it, was a great boat, very fast, paddled easy and carried a lot of gear.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

i bought a walkman in erwin because i wanted to see if the baltimore orioles were ever gonna win a game. :)
      My husband has never backpacked but we did a fair amount of camping when we were young. He would always have a radio so he could listen to the Tiger games. We could pick them up in the UP, even in a state park close to the Wisky border.

max.patch wrote:

as long as someone is not "sharing" their music with some type of speaker it's none of my business what they listen to.
      I was very glad when the young fellow (about 25ish from San Antonio) put his speakers on while we were packing up at Tray Mtn. He had on classic rock; it was great! I share my music every so often as I love to sing as I hike; generally when no one (that i'm aware of) is around.

WanderingStovie wrote:

Sometimes I sing "The bear went over the mountain [repeat 3 times] to steal a hiker's food."
      Will have to keep this in mind for the next time I go hiking.
    • Using the Kevin Theory, Kathy and I are both long distance hikers.
      Sure we've had to resupply, but I don't think we've done more than a couple hundred miles at any one time.
      I don't think I'm in the same category as folks who have gone thousands of miles at a time.
      But then again, I don't really care what label anyone hangs on me as I'm out there to enjoy myself in a way that fits into my life.
      I have some friends who see me as a "mountain man" and others that think I'm just plain crazy for wanting to be out in nature for days at a time. It's all good.

The post was edited 1 time, last by LIhikers ().

• AdventureMyk wrote:

I will admit it's not uncommon to toss in just one earbud when kayaking and playing a song like One Tree Hill (U2) which has the perfect cadence for paddling. Some of the longer stretches seem to just go on and on and that's where a good song helps keep the rhythm.

Nope...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

I remember staying at the West Mountain shelter a few years back and being kept up all night by a whippoorwill That was a night I had wished I had ear plugs

I stayed at Loft Mountain Campground this summer and experienced the same. I fantasized about indiscriminately blasting the tree tops with a shotgun ... The entries in the shelter register were filled with even more graphic fantasies. Some involved flamethrowers. Ear plugs would probably be a bit more rational way to go ...

I carry one a those little square iPod Nanos. I rarely use it. I really do enjoy getting lost in the sound of nature. But there are times, usually several days into a hike, late in the day ... I usually have a couple of audio books loaded. I listened to Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn while hiking the AT thru North Carolina. That seemed appropriate. I have the complete Sherlock Holmes on there. Haven't been inspired enough to crank it up while hiking tho.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• As always, there isnt any absolutes, and there is certainly overlap.

Backpacking conjurs up images of backpacking magazine type hikers. Short distances, lower miles, heavier gear. Camping at destinations not too far away.

Thru hiking conjurs up images of lean people that have already shed their excess gear , bodyweight, and are focused on high miles by the time they reach the end of a long trail.

Many thru hikers started their trail as backpackers.

Images, not reality. The whole spectrum exists.

The shorter the trail, the more the thru hikers will probably resemble backpackers.
      The longer the trail, the more the thru hikers nearing the finish will be the thru hiker image.
    • socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

They are assholes

Well they are Mammals.

Man! I can't believe you just called Flipper an asshole ...
      -
      L.Dog
    • LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

They are assholes

Well they are Mammals.

could everybody please stop quoting. im getting dizzy
      its all good
    • Tangent wrote:

AdventureMyk wrote:

I'm a wannabe kayak camper. Won an Old Town Camden 106 kayak from Trailspace last year. It has enough storage for a light load. Thinking about a river run this spring with camping gear and a fly rod
      -
      L.Dog
    • hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

They are assholes

Well they are Mammals.

Sure thing. No problem.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

They are assholes

Well they are Mammals.

Sure thing. No problem.

i suppose rasty's briefed you on "ways to annoy hikerboy"?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Grinder wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

They are assholes

Well they are Mammals.

Sure thing. No problem.

No, but as a natural born smartass, I'm pretty good at figuring out such things.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Grinder wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

socks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Tangent wrote:

And they live in tribes.

They are assholes

Well they are Mammals.

Sure thing. No problem.

No, but as a natural born smartass, I'm pretty good at figuring out such things.

I'm just wondering if the original post implodes ...
      -
      L.Dog