Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Voluntary N.H. Hike Safe Cards Now Available

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AnotherKevin wrote:

The greatest hidden gotcha with the card is that it only gets you out of being charged if you were merely 'negligent.' They're still free to charge you for rescue if you were 'reckless.' Hairsbreadth difference.

And I assume they will be the judge on that decision.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Not me, I live dangerously. But then again, I won't be calling for a rescue because I am tired of hiking and then not even wait around one hour for that rescue. Jeesh!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Dan76 wrote:

Anyone get such a card?
      Not yet, I likely will if I do any more winter summits. Then again I'm the kind of person buys life, renters, and boat insurance, so it's in my nature.

Personally I think that they are idiots for charging for rescue in the first place. It is terrible publicity for their tourism industry and they're probably losing far more money in tax revenue than they are gaining from rescue costs. On top of that there are numerous examples around the country of how charging for rescue can cause people to delay caulkng for help when they should and instead waiting until their situation is much worse, thereby endangering themselves and their rescuers.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Anyone get such a card?
      Not yet, I likely will if I do any more winter summits. Then again I'm the kind of person buys life, renters, and boat insurance, so it's in my nature.
      Personally I think that they are idiots for charging for rescue in the first place. It is terrible publicity for their tourism industry and they're probably losing far more money in tax revenue than they are gaining from rescue costs. On top of that there are numerous examples around the country of how charging for rescue can cause people to delay caulkng for help when they should and instead waiting until their situation is much worse, thereby endangering themselves and their rescuers.
      On the other hand rational people might be a little more prepared if they knew they had to pay up for a rescue.

But then again, it is usually not the "rational" people that need to be rescued. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Anyone get such a card?
      Not yet, I likely will if I do any more winter summits. Then again I'm the kind of person buys life, renters, and boat insurance, so it's in my nature.Personally I think that they are idiots for charging for rescue in the first place. It is terrible publicity for their tourism industry and they're probably losing far more money in tax revenue than they are gaining from rescue costs. On top of that there are numerous examples around the country of how charging for rescue can cause people to delay caulkng for help when they should and instead waiting until their situation is much worse, thereby endangering themselves and their rescuers.
      On the other hand rational people might be a little more prepared if they knew they had to pay up for a rescue.
      But then again, it is usually not the "rational" people that need to be rescued. :rolleyes:
      Exhausted, disoriented and Hypothermic people rarely act rationally.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Anyone get such a card?
      Not yet, I likely will if I do any more winter summits. Then again I'm the kind of person buys life, renters, and boat insurance, so it's in my nature.Personally I think that they are idiots for charging for rescue in the first place. It is terrible publicity for their tourism industry and they're probably losing far more money in tax revenue than they are gaining from rescue costs. On top of that there are numerous examples around the country of how charging for rescue can cause people to delay caulkng for help when they should and instead waiting until their situation is much worse, thereby endangering themselves and their rescuers.
      On the other hand rational people might be a little more prepared if they knew they had to pay up for a rescue.But then again, it is usually not the "rational" people that need to be rescued. :rolleyes:
      Yes, but my perspective was more along proper preparation minimizes the chance of getting into a "Exhausted, disoriented and Hypothermic" situation.
    • Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Anyone get such a card?
      On the other hand rational people might be a little more prepared if they knew they had to pay up for a rescue.But then again, it is usually not the "rational" people that need to be rescued. :rolleyes:
      Yes, but my perspective was more along proper preparation minimizes the chance of getting into a "Exhausted, disoriented and Hypothermic" situation.
      Astro, believe me, I share your disapproval of fools going out unprepared. My main point though is that billing for rescue has been tried a number of times around the country and we now known that it brings with it a number of unintended consequences that can put both the fools as well as their S&R rescuers at much greater risk. I don't like it one bit, but when the choice is between billing fools for their own stupidity and reducing the odds of an S&R crew member getting injured or killed in the line of duty I'm going to side with the option that keeps the rescuers safer.

Edit to add:
      Not sure if this link was already shared, but here is a link to the Colorado SAR board discussing incidents where rescues were delayed and complicated by individuals who feared being billed for them.

coloradosarboard.org/csrb-docu…Refusing%20SAR%20Help.pdf
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Anyone get such a card?
      Elf, I am pretty sure whatever they do the Massachusetts idiots will keep coming. I know this Massachusetts idiot will crawl on all fours before he asks for help, so I hear your complaint that this policy is only endangering those in need of help and the SAR's who try to save them. It is a conundrum.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier