Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

where is dakota joes thread today?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• where is dakota joes thread today?

It's 100% my fault. I apologize to all. 2.gif

I accidentally deleted the entire "Hiking Advise" category when moving it from one section to another. I could restore the one thread from the backup which is 36 hours old but we would loose everything else that posted during that time.
    Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
    Dr. Seuss Cof123

DakotaJoe wrote:
    Hikerboy, how much fuel would you carry at a time for the pocket rocket stove? Can you ship the fuel pods through the mail? Trebor, same question, how much Heet would you carry and can that be shipped as well?
    sorry just got home from work a little while ago. large can usually lasts me bout a week. i mostly boil water for breakfast and dinner. they were easy enough to find along the trail.was able to get them most any town i had stopped in. when its below freezing, they are not the best stove., you need to keep the can warm, tuck it in your jacket to warm it up before you light it. you're better off with two small cans in the cold, they hold their relative pressure better.you will use more fuel in the cold, so its hard to say exactly how long a can will last.you'll have it figured out by the second can,though.the cans also get very cold while cooking, can freeze to the ground.
    its all good

Rasty wrote:

It's 100% my fault. I apologize to all. 2.gif

I accidentally deleted the entire "Hiking Advise" category when moving it from one section to another. I could restore the one thread from the backup which is 36 hours old but we would loose everything else that posted during that time.

Hey! Someone deleted a bunch of my posts. I am taking this very seriously. I need a moderator to bail me out. I am tempted to threaten someone with a shipment of spam.
    Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

As for how much Heat to carry and how long it will last......I have no earthly idea but my guess would be you would need 4oz per day. 2oz for breakfast and 2oz for dinner. I'm new to the whole alcohol stove thing and am yet to use them "in the field". However, I will say that I make a fine stove and being the supreme humatarian that I am, I just give them away to those who want one..

Im not sure about the shipping regulations but you can find that stuff at nearly every gas station, convienance store, or Wal-Mart etc.

I'm sure there are some others on this thread that may be able to answer this for ya. Sorry
    RIAP

DakotaJoe wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

it appears that the thread is more elusive than the persona

Hey the persona is far from elusive cause varying degrees of it are plastered all over the internet!
    alright alright, calm down there cowboy.i dont do faceborg.
    rasty accidently deleted an entire group last night so im glad you found your way back.i missed a few of your posts last night. i was responding to your post about the cans when the thread disappeared
    its all good

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Hey the persona is far from elusive cause varying degrees of it are plastered all over the internet!
    rasty accidently deleted an entire group last night so im glad you found your way back.i missed a few of your posts last night. i was responding to your post about the cans when the thread disappeared

Rasty is a bad bad boy! :whistle:
    Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Thankfully I'm still in the dirty dozen
    Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Thankfully I'm still in the dirty dozen

I'm starting to fall behind. Too much time deleting Dakota Joe and not enough time posting.
    Dr. Seuss Cof123

Choo Choo, My Nala lasted 19 yrs. She was the meanest cat in the nieghborhood. She chased coyotes! The only thing that she didn't try to fight with was Blue Jays. She would walk the tree line of our property so they couldn't dive bomb her!

I won her in the divorce :P
    Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

Choo Choo, My Nala lasted 19 yrs. She was the meanest cat in the nieghborhood. She chased coyotes! The only thing that she didn't try to fight with was Blue Jays. She would walk the tree line of our property so they couldn't dive bomb her!

I won her in the divorce :P

Was she listed in the property settlement as a portable home security device? :lol:

TrainWreck wrote:

Until we can get Muddy Waters over here, I'll provide the occasional puppy fix for Trebor, Dakota Joe, and everyone else ;)

Warning: May Contain Cats :silly:

I have had a great seasonal puppy pic for a few days and no matter what I do I cant get it to post. I feel like Im letting everyone down, especially Hikerboy. I'm ready to seek out some therapy....
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Until we can get Muddy Waters over here, I'll provide the occasional puppy fix for Trebor, Dakota Joe, and everyone else ;)

I have had a great seasonal puppy pic for a few days and no matter what I do I cant get it to post. I feel like Im letting everyone down, especially Hikerboy. I'm ready to seek out some therapy....

You gotta right click on it, then click save picture as, then click add file, browse will appear, then pull it out of your pictures file.
    Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Trebor wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Pictures are being worked on. Every time the software is updated the maximum image size goes back to extremely small
    Dr. Seuss Cof123

I think Team Dakota Joe is like a box of chocolates, you never know what (who) youre gonna get.

On a different note, my son and I are hiking with Buddy Backpacker tomorrow as he reaches Springer. Many people have different thoughts on their hike but I thought it may be a good lesson for my son to see other kids accomplish something that they have worked hard for.
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

I think Team Dakota Joe is like a box of chocolates, you never know what (who) youre gonna get.

On a different note, my son and I are hiking with Buddy Backpacker tomorrow as he reaches Springer. Many people have different thoughts on their hike but I thought it may be a good lesson for my son to see other kids accomplish something that they have worked hard for.

Good for you and your son!
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Trebor wrote:

How old is your son?
    I just wonder how much a 5 year old will really remember about the experience a couple of years down the line.

TrainWreck wrote:

Trebor wrote:

How old is your son?
    I just wonder how much a 5 year old will really remember about the experience a couple of years down the line.
    hell probably remember playing in the park every day.summer camp was 6 months long
    its all good

TrainWreck wrote:

Trebor wrote:

How old is your son?
    He's 8 and started hiking with me at age 4. I asked my wife the same question about a childs memory. (She has a Masters in early childhood development) It seems that most kids remember "significant events" from the age of 4.
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Trebor wrote:

How old is your son?
    He's 8 and started hiking with me at age 4. I asked my wife the same question about a childs memory. (She has a Masters in early childhood development) It seems that most kids remember "significant events" from the age of 4.

Well, he'll have plenty of video and photos to look back and talk about with his parents. He always looks so angelic in the photos. I'll believe he's a real 5 year old when I hear about him throwing a fit somewhere ;)

Trebor wrote:

he still has a lot of hiking to do

I can just imagine, tomorrow, 200 yards from the top of Springer he gets pissed off about something, sits down in the middle of the trail, crosses his arms and legs and refuses to move. All while screaming at his parents. At just that moment the media (if there is any) comes around the corner, just as Mom is jerking him up by the arm and takes a picture 52.gif Oh wait a minute, that was my kid at Wal-mart a few years ago (minus the media)........
    RIAP

LoboSolo wrote:

Trebor wrote:

he still has a lot of hiking to do
    160 miles I think, right?
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

I can just imagine, tomorrow, 200 yards from the top of Springer he gets pissed off about something, sits down in the middle of the trail, crosses his arms and legs and refuses to move. All while screaming at his parents. At just that moment the media (if there is any) comes around the corner, just as Mom is jerking him up by the arm and takes a picture 52.gif Oh wait a minute, that was my kid at Wal-mart a few years ago (minus the media)........

LOL!
    Wally World is also known as Wailing World. I have a friend whose little boy used to receive a good old fashioned whupping about every time they went shopping there. Must be something in the air.

Checked my kid out of school a little ear;y on Friday and drove up to Springer. We met up with Buddy B and his parents and hiked to the top of Springer with them. Very nice people and sorry Train Wreck, he didnt throw and tantrums while we were there. Actually he seemed very mature and well spoken for a 5 year old. He and my son got along great. Ill try and post a pic later.

As for DJ. Hes headed to Tennessee for Christmas. As far as I know he is still planning on starting the Approach Trail sometime on January 02. He has a sidekick now, we will see how that goes.......
    RIAP