Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

where is dakota joes thread today?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• where is dakota joes thread today?

Hey guys, we made it to Damascus and we have our bellys full. Thank you to LW from the three of us and whoever sent the envelope.....your awesome, TYVM! ZERO DAY IN DAMASCUS TOMORROW!
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

DakotaJoe wrote:

Hey guys, we made it to Damascus and we have our bellys full. Thank you to LW from the three of us and whoever sent the envelope.....your awesome, TYVM! ZERO DAY IN DAMASCUS TOMORROW!

That is just so damn cool. gif.004
    Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
  • Re:Re: where is dakota joes thread today?

DakotaJoe wrote:

Don't forget to stop by Crazy Larry's
    Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
    Dr. Seuss Cof123
  • Re:where is dakota joes thread today?

It was a good day. After the awesome breakfast at the road I almost fell asleep on a log. The hike down into Damascus was just perfect. Great views, great weather and a happy dacota Joe slackpacking like a boss :)

Thanks for the trail magic, lone wolf. You really hit the spot :)
  • Re:Re: Re:where is dakota joes thread today?

GoodGerman wrote:

It was a good day. After the awesome breakfast at the road I almost fell asleep on a log. The hike down into Damascus was just perfect. Great views, great weather and a happy dacota Joe slackpacking like a boss :)

That ridge line going into Damascus is a pleasant walk. I did it two years ago in a lightening storm.
    Dr. Seuss Cof123

GoodGerman wrote:

yeah man, really hit the spot. Slackpacking like a boss! It was the first day I was not chasing the white rabbit! I got some new swiss gear trekking poles, keen boots, and a Hennessey hammock yesterday. I am almost a real hiker. The guys gave my trail name a trail name. Dakota Joe A.K.A. "Wal-Mart"
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

DakotaJoe wrote:

GoodGerman wrote:

yeah man, really hit the spot. Slackpacking like a boss! It was the first day I was not chasing the white rabbit! I got some new swiss gear trekking poles, keen boots, and a Hennessey hammock yesterday. I am almost a real hiker. The guys gave my trail name a trail name. Dakota Joe A.K.A. "Wal-Mart"

I'm glad you're doing good DJ!
    Lost in the right direction.

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

we are about to hit the town and see some stuff. where can I get a good milkshake?
    dairy king

Creeper Trail Café too.
    Try both places and let us know which one is best.
    I'm sure you can handle a couple of milkshakes by now.

Hey guys, the Dairy King does not serve milkshakes today so we had to go to the Country Inn or something like that. Max Patch, yes, I intend to do the PCT and CDT yo-yo style, but I never intended to do them back to back. I was intending to go to the PCT in 2016 so I could work on funds for the trail and 2018 for the CDT. I have been told that I can't do those two trails without funds since the towns that offer resupply are usually small and E.B.T. is a dream there. I am focusing on doing the A.T. first and then heading to the Northern Terminus of the Florida Trail and walking home.

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

we are about to hit the town and see some stuff. where can I get a good milkshake?
    dairy king

Creeper Trail Café too.
    Try both places and let us know which one is best.
    I'm sure you can handle a couple of milkshakes by now.

Be sure to hit the Dairy Queen when you walk into Pearisberg, VA. They just remodeled it this summer and the owner is a really nice guy. And hey coming out of the woods you can not go wrong with DQ.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

hikerboy wrote:

hey dj, i read on your facebook page about the guys bashing you from behind their computer screens.
    i seem to remember an online community that has supported you from day one.
    just sayin

HB, what are you doing on FB? I thought you tried to avoid Faceborg.

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

hey dj, i read on your facebook page about the guys bashing you from behind their computer screens.
    i seem to remember an online community that has supported you from day one.
    just sayin

HB, what are you doing on FB? I thought you tried to avoid Faceborg.

sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!! gif.002

i cant log in, i just check his page for updates.
    its all good

OzJacko wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Oh, your talking about blue blazing, yeah, not gonna do that. No BLUE, BLACK, YELLOW, or PINK blazing for this guy.

You missed out aqua, aero, retro, proxy to name just a few.....
    gif.005 gif.005 gif.005 gif.005 gif.005

Oz, you really need to write a book to share your unique hike with the masses.

GoodGerman wrote:

We had a milkshake yesterday and ended up with diarrhea and puking like crazy. Hudson is still in bed. dacota and me are doing better now tho..

I guess that would NOT qualify as a very good endorsement. :(
    Hope whatever it is passes quickly and you back to normal grinding out those awesome miles. :)

dakota joe speaks (via facebook):

I know my friends at www.appalachiantrailcafe.net are rooting for me and I wanted to take a moment to them for all of their support and advice. They have taught me that sometimes you need to give it a little rest and it is not a race to the finish line. I know I talk a lot about the people who bash me from behind their computer screens and this is one online community that has helped me since day one. You won't have the same issues on this site as you do with "That other A.T. site." For all of you hikers who do not know about the Café, then you better get on over there and check them out. I have learned a lot there and you can too!
    2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

I know my friends at www.appalachiantrailcafe.net are rooting for me and I wanted to take a moment to them for all of their support and advice. They have taught me that sometimes you need to give it a little rest and it is not a race to the finish line. I know I talk a lot about the people who bash me from behind their computer screens and this is one online community that has helped me since day one. You won't have the same issues on this site as you do with "That other A.T. site." For all of you hikers who do not know about the Café, then you better get on over there and check them out. I have learned a lot there and you can too!

The sincere side of me says "Thanks Joe". The smart-ass side says "We got him fooled" gif.015
    Dr. Seuss Cof123

max.patch wrote:

Nice. Good deal.

DJ sent me a text the other day. Seems like the sickness had nothing to do with drinking the milkshakes. He thinks they got sick from two really nasty guys that were staying at the hostel with them.

Nothing sucks like backpacking with the squirts. Hope they all feel better....
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

DJ sent me a text the other day. Seems like the sickness had nothing to do with drinking the milkshakes. He thinks they got sick from two really nasty guys that were staying at the hostel with them.

Hope they did not drink bad water. Been there. Done that. Got the filter... now.
    Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Trebor wrote:

He seems to think it had something to do with those two guys. He said they were really nasty people and they themselves were complaining about how they have been sick all winter.

I hope they're feeling better.

Without doing stool cultures, it's just speculation. I still agree with Rasty about the milk and sugar as being the most likely cause. If it was bacterial, dairy is more often contaminated with Salmonella or Campylobacter. If it was viral from the other hikers, the incubation period is about 12 hrs for Rotavirus and 2 days for Norovirus. Of course, it could have been anything they ingested.

TrafficJam wrote:

Trebor wrote:

He seems to think it had something to do with those two guys. He said they were really nasty people and they themselves were complaining about how they have been sick all winter.

Without doing stool cultures, it's just speculation. I still agree with Rasty about the milk and sugar as being the most likely cause. If it was bacterial, dairy is more often contaminated with Salmonella or Campylobacter. If it was viral from the other hikers, the incubation period is about 12 hrs for Rotavirus and 2 days for Noravirus. Of course, it could have been anything they ingested.

You sound like you know your s***. LOL:D
    "Dazed and Confused"
    Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
    Plant a tree
    Take a kid hiking
    Make a difference

Trebor wrote:

If that is what it was, hopefully they can put some good distance between them and those 2 guys.

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Without doing stool cultures, it's just speculation. I still agree with Rasty about the milk and sugar as being the most likely cause. If it was bacterial, dairy is more often contaminated with Salmonella or Campylobacter. If it was viral from the other hikers, the incubation period is about 12 hrs for Rotavirus and 2 days for Noravirus. Of course, it could have been anything they ingested.

You sound like you know your s***. LOL:D

More like, I know 46.gif