Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

where is dakota joes thread today?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• where is dakota joes thread today?

DJ. Do not be embarrassed or glory in your mistakes. We are all a sum of our experiences. Your past gives you perspective that few can have. You are in a unique place. Too many have succeeded in living a "pure" life only to believe they are in a position to stand in judgment over people who are not as "good" as they are. I have a checkered past too. We are all sinners. We all need forgiveness and grace at some point. It is one thing to be able to say I failed. It is another thing to be an example of hope as a person who overcame. You obviously have that desire. To that end I say Go Joe Go. gif.004
    Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

Sounds good. I like the "Where is Dakota Joe?" thing. You might be an inspiration for these kids to dream, try, and succeed. Can't hurt for sure.

Thank you. You know, that has been my intention through out this whole thing. Inspiring people to try and follow their dreams and to not let anything stand in their way and to not give up. Not just kids, but all humans. There are so many things that can trip a person up that the long run can seem like a goal that will never be reached. Interesting back story on this, but it would not have been possible if it were not for my ex-wife. on 12/07/09 I was released from Okaloosa Correctional Institution with the goal to never go back to Prison. A goal that has been achieved. I have been arrested since then for driving on a suspended driver's license. I had to work to support myself and my family. I was living in Port Charlotte, Florida and working in Naples, Florida. A drive that took over an hour and 65 miles one way, but it was the only work I could find so I took it. I was a pipe layer by trade and installed water mains, sewer mains, storm drains, and forced reclaim mains and I am really good at what I do. I can out dig most people with a shovel and I just do not quit. At first my then girlfriend was driving me down there, going back home, and then coming back to get me at the end of the day. She never ever had a job the entire time we were together. I supported her and her son from a previous boyfriend the entire time. We were paying to much in gas an could not afford to pay the bills so I started driving myself in order to save some money. I put myself knowingly at risk for my family. We finally saved up enough money to move closer to my work. The drop off an pick up routine started again until she got tired of doing it so I started driving again. One day she says to me "You are not making enough money, you need to do something, I want to go out on the weekends." The bills were paid, there was food on the table, and anything extra went to toys and clothes and such for the kid. I loved that little guy like he was my own. I told her "Why don't you help me out?" I was thinking something along the lines of getting a job instead of sitting at home all day long playing World of Warcraft. I came home from work the next day and she and the kid and all of their stuff was gone. There was a note on the bed that said "Does this help you out?" She went and moved back into her parents house where they could support her. How could I provide the same kind of material objects that her multi-million dollar real estate broker parents could provide on $13.00 an hour? I couldn't. Less than a week later she was already seeing another person and I was drowning in the loss an about to head back down the same road I had once walked. Why? Because on my wedding day I asked her "What do you do when you realize all of your dreams just came true?" My family was gone, my dream of family was shattered, and self-destruction was about to begin. Well, I had the one thing she wanted and she knew exactly how to get that out of me. She called me up and told me that if I was to drive up to Port Charlotte we could talk about our marriage and what we could do to save it. Without second thought I was on my way. When I got there she called the cops and said I hit her before she even opened the door. I was sitting in the car with it running thinking we were going to take the boy to the park so he could play and we could talk. The police show up and I go to jail for domestic violence and driving on suspend license. I ended up beating the domestic violence because even the State's Attorney said she was sure that the incident did not occur, but the driving on license stuck and they put me on probation. Needless to say, she got the car back like she wanted to. I couldn.t believe that just happened to me like it did, that I fell for it, that I had the love in my heart used against me like a weapon. I almost went back down that road that I had once walked again and I was sick of it. I was sitting in my little rented room feeling down one night and saw a picture of Clingman's Dome on the internet and recalled my childhood memories of going there with my parents every summer and to Gatlinburg. The next morning I hopped on my bicycle and loaded it down with some stuff and took off to achieve my childhood dream of hiking the entire Appalachian Trail. I knew I was on probation, I knew there was going to be a warrant for my arrest, but I also know that when you are looking at a loaded bottle of unisom with the intention of taking your own life you need to do something drastic to save your own life. During the ride to Amicalola Falls I learned of the Triple Crown. Then I learned that nobody had ever yo-yo'd all three of the Triple Crown Trails. I set out to be the first person in the world to do just that. Not back to back, but one by one. I made it to AFSP when nobody even thought I would make it there, not even my own family. The first time I came off the trail to re-supply in Hiawassee a park ranger or forestry officer, what ever the are in Georgia stopped me. He ran my name and asked me "Have you ever been to Punta Gorda?" I could only reply "Looks like I'm going back." Florida extradited me to Charlotte County and they sentenced me to 1 year in the county jail. I was made a trusty and had a job working outside the facility. I worked harder doing lawn maintenance than most people would at paid jobs. I would take off in the morning with a backpack blower slung on my back, a weed eater strapped across my shoulder, and pushing a push mower. They called me the one man lawn crew. I wound up on national television. Most of all, I spent 243 days waiting to get back on the bicycle and pedal right back to AFSP and start my journey all over again. I was released on 9/27/12 and took till 10/30/2012 to scrounge up what gear I could and took back off. I made it back there. This time there is nothing stopping from doing this trail. I may have gotten hurt on some ice, but the Lord works in some mysterious ways. It gave me a chance to learn, it gave me chance to shed the negative label that someone put over my head that was supposed to help me and ending up hurting me put upon me, and it helped connect with a community that misunderstood me. I am not perfect, never will be, but I am trying my hardest to be the best person I can be. If you read this amazingly long backstory post, Thank You. Words crafted in black in white may be meaningless to some, but to me they are all I have and a piece of my heart is hidden inside every single letter of every single word. So award for the longest post ever written in Hikerboy's Cyber Café goes to Dakota Joe. I am a writer, that is what I do, I might not be a hiker, not just yet, but by the time I finish this trail I will be able to say that I am one of you. gif.014
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

TrafficJam wrote:

I get to take care of those moms and babies every day. You can't imagine the crap I've seen. Seeing a newborn withdrawing breaks my heart. DJ, rejoice that you're alive, many moms that come in high on cocaine don't deliver live babies.

Thanks TrafficJam, I do rejoice that I am alive. I thank my birth mom for giving me life and my REAL mom for choosing me.
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

BirdBrain wrote:

DJ. Do not be embarrassed or glory in your mistakes. We are all a sum of our experiences. Your past gives you perspective that few can have. You are in a unique place. Too many have succeeded in living a "pure" life only to believe they are in a position to stand in judgment over people who are not as "good" as they are. I have a checkered past too. We are all sinners. We all need forgiveness and grace at some point. It is one thing to be able to say I failed. It is another thing to be an example of hope as a person who overcame. You obviously have that desire. To that end I say Go Joe Go. gif.004

You are so right. I am not embarrassed by them at all and never will I find glory in my gory story. I will tell my story like it is in vivid detail for that is the gift inside of me. I always say "In order to know where you are going you have to know where you have been."

So I was sitting here thinking of some random ideas, well, because that is what I do best when I am injured, think of random ideas. I am wondering how I could hike for charity on a per mile basis sort of thing. I have seen other people do that last year and I am not really sure how that works. Does any of you know exactly how to do that and get involved on that sort of thing? Is tis a good idea or should I just throw back into the bargain bin for some one who has a little bit more time to plan and execute an idea of that caliber?

Poem-Tender
    Written February 3, 2010 at 3:27pm
    By Dakota Joe

Her arms are wrapped around me so lovingly tight

Holding me in the present with the past clearly out of sight

A tender embrace aknowledges emotions so right

A comfort devoid of malice and spite

A tender kiss placed upon my cheek

My heart flutters as my knees grow weak

Even if I knew the words I wouldn't be able to speak

Tongue tied, humbled, and feeling so meek

A tender moment between us is shared

In times of distress she actually cared

She stood beside me when no one else dared

Against her the rest have not been compared

I melt when she looks into my eyes

A tender glance which gives me butterflies

She comes as herself and has no disguise

Her words are true and have no lies

Everything about her is so lovingly tender

My feelings for her I shall never surrender

She is the most amazing of her gender

I think this poem is what I shall send her.

I felt like sharing some of my poetic works today. I do not know why, but I just do. My creative juices are flowing!

Poem-Playing Games
    Written August 16, 2010 at 6:18pm
    By: Dakota Joe

Will someone please tell me what all the fear has been about.
    Tell me why my mind has been filled with doubt.
    All they do is scheme and lie,
    Then they wonder why nobody is ever standing by when it comes down to do or die.
    Don't give me a stye by looking into my eye and asking me to give you one last try.
    A gentle lullaby is violent when the time to supply a guy with his rightful earnings passes by.
    You bent your own spine to align your eyes on the dollar sign.
    Forever shall they be floating just outside your reach for you failed to realize the fatality in the lessons the consequences teach.
    No more being abused by the perspectives you ignorantly confused with the actions you used to abuse.
    Gnarled thumbs twist in twisted screws as a farce twistedly misconstrues.
    Knock your nonsense over the fence of this ball park and find yourself burning in flames.
    Angry hot fire fueled by a life time of shames.
    Sorry to say that I'm sick of playing games.
    Erase my image from your shattered picture frames.

Poem- Loving Prayer
    Written February 3, 2010 at 3:30pm

My mind is constantly pacing.
    My heart is racing,
    Lord, please give me the strength in the situation I'm facing.
    Help me hold on to the love that I'm embracing.
    Perhaps, grant me the heart of the one I'm chasing.
    I'll rejoice with the angels and the songs that they sing.

Lord, your are love and that is your gift.
    In a sea of loneliness I have found myself adrift.
    Help our hearts come together rather swift.
    In the sands of emotions give me the strength to sift.

Lord, help me to cherish this woman's heart.
    Help give my love a refreshingly new start.
    Don't let everything crumble apart.

Do with us as You may according to Your will.
    Lord, let me experience love's greatest thrill.

A perfect marriage untill death do us part....

Poem-Distorted Perceptions
    Written February 3, 2010 at 3:29pm

Fall victim to my views of this Earth.
    Take it in mind that I've been cursed since birth.
    Rotten maggots are festering in the womb,
    Giving birth to perceptions intentions to consume.
    Drown your society's views in sorrowful pain.
    Everyone has to live their lives in this rain.

Eyes shine intent with a focus on disaster,
    Ruined life, would you like to meet it's master?
    Dreams shattered as drugs become abused,
    Still alive and now life is really confused.
    Drug induced stupor and I'm starting a blaze,
    Burning down the laws with a crime that actually pays.

Most are cowardly infidels never keeping your heart.
    Filthy sinners are blowing this world apart.
    We all fit in this category so don't judge your neighbor.
    We are all destined to be a one time servant to Satan's sadistic labor.
    Keep on fighting to save your soul,
    Try and hold onto a sliver of the control.

Victims are picked at random will be crushed with emotion.
    Start running when you hear all the commotion.
    Maybe you'll escape with a sliver of your self-preservation,
    Still, at the sinners table, I'll hold your reservation.

Every one is so perfect in the confines of their own mind,
    But look a little deeper and tell me what you find.
    People can be ugly and hate to be abused,
    Bent, broken, and left for dead when they are used.
    You do it to me and I'll do it to you.
    Laugh at the intentions when the love is through.

Everything that is built can be torn down.
    Every river that flows holds corpses of the drowned.
    Death comes daily for those young and old.
    All we can do is sit back and watch the drama unfold.
    When it comes to be your turn where will you stand?
    In heaven, or the lake of fire with the damned?

Try as you may, try as you might,
    You don't have the weapons to survive the final fight.
    Let go of yourself and try living for others.
    Skins may be different colors but we are all brothers.
    Some of us are crazily outspoken in speaking our minds,
    While others cower behind the cover of their closed blinds.
    Say what you say to those who won't listen.
    Words lost on the sweat of adultery as the skin glistens.

Now your doing it, your losing you perceptions!
    They have become distorted with another inception.
    It can't happen, it is as fake as the image you portray.
    As big of a lie as the words that you say.
    Happiness exists in a realm outside of our own being.
    A point that most never will be caught dead seeing.
    Go with a reality created inside of your own head.
    Deal with the consequences when you finally end up dead.

DakotaJoe wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Sounds good. I like the "Where is Dakota Joe?" thing. You might be an inspiration for these kids to dream, try, and succeed. Can't hurt for sure.

Thank you. You know, that has been my intention through out this whole thing. Inspiring people to try and follow their dreams and to not let anything stand in their way and to not give up. Not just kids, but all humans. There are so many things that can trip a person up that the long run can seem like a goal that will never be reached. Interesting back story on this, but it would not have been possible if it were not for my ex-wife. on 12/07/09 I was released from Okaloosa Correctional Institution with the goal to never go back to Prison. A goal that has been achieved. I have been arrested since then for driving on a suspended driver's license. I had to work to support myself and my family. I was living in Port Charlotte, Florida and working in Naples, Florida. A drive that took over an hour and 65 miles one way, but it was the only work I could find so I took it. I was a pipe layer by trade and installed water mains, sewer mains, storm drains, and forced reclaim mains and I am really good at what I do. I can out dig most people with a shovel and I just do not quit. At first my then girlfriend was driving me down there, going back home, and then coming back to get me at the end of the day. She never ever had a job the entire time we were together. I supported her and her son from a previous boyfriend the entire time. We were paying to much in gas an could not afford to pay the bills so I started driving myself in order to save some money. I put myself knowingly at risk for my family. We finally saved up enough money to move closer to my work. The drop off an pick up routine started again until she got tired of doing it so I started driving again. One day she says to me "You are not making enough money, you need to do something, I want to go out on the weekends." The bills were paid, there was food on the table, and anything extra went to toys and clothes and such for the kid. I loved that little guy like he was my own. I told her "Why don't you help me out?" I was thinking something along the lines of getting a job instead of sitting at home all day long playing World of Warcraft. I came home from work the next day and she and the kid and all of their stuff was gone. There was a note on the bed that said "Does this help you out?" She went and moved back into her parents house where they could support her. How could I provide the same kind of material objects that her multi-million dollar real estate broker parents could provide on $13.00 an hour? I couldn't. Less than a week later she was already seeing another person and I was drowning in the loss an about to head back down the same road I had once walked. Why? Because on my wedding day I asked her "What do you do when you realize all of your dreams just came true?" My family was gone, my dream of family was shattered, and self-destruction was about to begin. Well, I had the one thing she wanted and she knew exactly how to get that out of me. She called me up and told me that if I was to drive up to Port Charlotte we could talk about our marriage and what we could do to save it. Without second thought I was on my way. When I got there she called the cops and said I hit her before she even opened the door. I was sitting in the car with it running thinking we were going to take the boy to the park so he could play and we could talk. The police show up and I go to jail for domestic violence and driving on suspend license. I ended up beating the domestic violence because even the State's Attorney said she was sure that the incident did not occur, but the driving on license stuck and they put me on probation. Needless to say, she got the car back like she wanted to. I couldn.t believe that just happened to me like it did, that I fell for it, that I had the love in my heart used against me like a weapon. I almost went back down that road that I had once walked again and I was sick of it. I was sitting in my little rented room feeling down one night and saw a picture of Clingman's Dome on the internet and recalled my childhood memories of going there with my parents every summer and to Gatlinburg. The next morning I hopped on my bicycle and loaded it down with some stuff and took off to achieve my childhood dream of hiking the entire Appalachian Trail. I knew I was on probation, I knew there was going to be a warrant for my arrest, but I also know that when you are looking at a loaded bottle of unisom with the intention of taking your own life you need to do something drastic to save your own life. During the ride to Amicalola Falls I learned of the Triple Crown. Then I learned that nobody had ever yo-yo'd all three of the Triple Crown Trails. I set out to be the first person in the world to do just that. Not back to back, but one by one. I made it to AFSP when nobody even thought I would make it there, not even my own family. The first time I came off the trail to re-supply in Hiawassee a park ranger or forestry officer, what ever the are in Georgia stopped me. He ran my name and asked me "Have you ever been to Punta Gorda?" I could only reply "Looks like I'm going back." Florida extradited me to Charlotte County and they sentenced me to 1 year in the county jail. I was made a trusty and had a job working outside the facility. I worked harder doing lawn maintenance than most people would at paid jobs. I would take off in the morning with a backpack blower slung on my back, a weed eater strapped across my shoulder, and pushing a push mower. They called me the one man lawn crew. I wound up on national television. Most of all, I spent 243 days waiting to get back on the bicycle and pedal right back to AFSP and start my journey all over again. I was released on 9/27/12 and took till 10/30/2012 to scrounge up what gear I could and took back off. I made it back there. This time there is nothing stopping from doing this trail. I may have gotten hurt on some ice, but the Lord works in some mysterious ways. It gave me a chance to learn, it gave me chance to shed the negative label that someone put over my head that was supposed to help me and ending up hurting me put upon me, and it helped connect with a community that misunderstood me. I am not perfect, never will be, but I am trying my hardest to be the best person I can be. If you read this amazingly long backstory post, Thank You. Words crafted in black in white may be meaningless to some, but to me they are all I have and a piece of my heart is hidden inside every single letter of every single word. So award for the longest post ever written in Hikerboy's Cyber Café goes to Dakota Joe. I am a writer, that is what I do, I might not be a hiker, not just yet, but by the time I finish this trail I will be able to say that I am one of you. gif.014

I wish you only the best in the future, DJ.

DakotaJoe wrote:

So I was sitting here thinking of some random ideas, well, because that is what I do best when I am injured, think of random ideas. I am wondering how I could hike for charity on a per mile basis sort of thing. I have seen other people do that last year and I am not really sure how that works. Does any of you know exactly how to do that and get involved on that sort of thing? Is tis a good idea or should I just throw back into the bargain bin for some one who has a little bit more time to plan and execute an idea of that caliber?

It isn't too hard to set, although I haven't done one yet. But I will be in the future. 100% of everything I raise will go straight to the GFPD (Global Foundation for Peroxsimal Disorders.) you can even go to their home page and get fundraising ideas. One thing to keep in mind is you usually need to run this through a non profit organization. A local church secretary might do it also. All you need to do is find out. .. It is also good to go through a cause so people can donate directly too. It helps for tax purposes and if a person donates enough they would need to go this route for their taxes.

you will run into people who are totally against this sort of thing being done on the AT. Some hate shelters, dogs, guns, etc..... Hyoh

I am hopefully going to Maryland this year to attend a 5k run/walk for gfpd. It takes alot to set something like this up. And the wife and I are checking to see if we are prepared to start something like this. Our 13 month old daughter passed away in April from Zellwegers and we are looking for a way to raise money to help find a cure.

Good luck on your choices. Even if its just getting the word out...

DeerHunter wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I wish you only the best in the future, DJ.
    Joe, lemme lay ya on to a little secret...your already one of us, all it takes is a willingness to achieve, I think you've done that...in spades. Really like what you wrote too...it's real, very articulate and honest. You are well on your way to becoming the person you want to be, all the best dude! :)

hikerboy wrote:

alright, here's a challenge. see if you can transform any one of those poems into a haiku.we have very short attention spans around here

Okay, heading out to the zen garden to combine my inner Chinese chi with my Japanese.....

dakota joe, its the challenges in life and how you face them that defines ones destiny.
    you;re on the right path.

The FINAL Analysis
    Written by Dr. Kent M. Keith

People are often unreasonable, illogical,
    and self-centered;
    Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, People may accuse you
    of selfish, ulterior motives;
    Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some
    false friends and some true enemies;
    Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
    people may cheat you;
    Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone
    could destroy overnight;
    Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
    they may be jealous;
    Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
    people will often forget tomorrow;
    Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
    and it may never be enough;
    Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the FINAL analysis,
    it is between you and God;
    It was never between you and them anyway

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/271599.Kent_M_Keith
    its all good

My pack only has three compartments and it is not too keen for organization. I did get rid of a lot of weight out of it though. Today is "Work on packing better" day!

DakotaJoe wrote:

My pack only has three compartments and it is not too keen for organization. I did get rid of a lot of weight out of it though. Today is "Work on packing better" day!

Experience is valuable. The key is to learn a little from every day/trip and continue to improve.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Morning everyone, how are we all doing today? Yesterday I loaded the pack up an tried to hike for a few hours. I got about 3 hours into my hike before the pain in the lower began to effect me and become a little less than tolerable. I have a North Face back that is probably old enough to be dubbed affectionately with the moniker of "Old School." It has three compartments to store your gear in and two places to lash things to the side of it. My body weight with clothing weighed in as 157.8 lbs and my pack with three days of food and two liters of water weighed in at 196.8 lbs. So that is 39lbs. Maybe my food rations of three days is a little on the light side. It is probably more like four days worth. I dropped the 4 lbs. of spag. noodles, 2 lbs. of rice, and 2 lbs. of elbow macaroni that I was carrying. I had got them from a food bank when we went to Calhoun and did not want them to go to waste an figured they would help me along the way. Weight and length of time it takes to cook them were the deciding factors in my decision to drop them. That is 8 lbs. of dad weight to me. So that means my pack was at least 47 lbs. not including what I ate the days I was already out there. I also dropped anything that I was carrying "Just in case." Goodbye flint striker, extra dry box, extra sleeve of batteries, extra matches, and extra clothing that I never even pulled out of the dry sacks. Another 3 lbs. of useless weight has been put into my extra's box here in Crossvile, Tn. I finally asked my mother if she would send things to me along the way. So okay, the whole point of me doing all this on my own was to not ask her for help financially because she has been doing it for the entire length of my life, but I want to do this on my own. She really does not have anything to spare, but all the stuff that I have here that may need to be sent to me while I am out there is a great benefit to me. Right? I have 4 extra pairs of boots. All of them came from Good Will, this is true, but they all fit. One is even a pair of Montrails. For any of you who have already completed a through hike, I ask you this: How long did it take until you had to replace your boots? I have heard one person say that Harper's Ferry is a great spot for a boot switch. Have you ever heard of "Florida Gators?" No, not the college football team or the animal, it is a saying in the underground utility field that refers to your feet. You see, In Florida we are right above sea level and can dig down to ground water with nothing but a shovel in some spots. Most of my career found me working in the Naples and Ft. Myers areas. When we dig, we dig deep. So water and dewatering is critical. Every workday of my career found me wearing those knee high polyvinylchloride boots. "Florida Gators" are the feet of pipe line workers in Florida that are used to going 12-16 hours a day with sandy water in their boots. Your feet get destroyed and build themselves back up to calloused "Gator Feet." I guess one thing I have going for me are my "Florida Gators." My feet are a little more resilient than some others may be. Seriously, and I know that this may sound disgusting and un-sanitary to some of you, but have you ever had to wade around in raw sewage for hours on end? I have. I was always the guy who had to make the first cut on a live sewer line before the sewage could be pumped out of it and the new line connected to the old line. When that would happen corn nuggets and other visually disturbing materials would fly out from behind the blade of the saw and splatter across your chest. Everyone would always be squeamish but the faster you move the better it is for the environment. You don't want to cut open a 16" sewer main and let the millions of gallons of nastiness seep into the ground. That is bad and also against O.S.H.A. guidelines and county law. So I'd get covered in the crap, literally, and then just go jump in a canal or wash off in fresh ground water. So being dirty and nasty is no bother to me. I am not all that sure why I relayed that story to you guys, maybe the filth factor, but It was the life I came from. I think it all came out because I keep having people I need to give it up and go get a real job. I have either served tables, worked construction, or worked for the state in the chain gang harder than most people would work for free, and it has not gotten me to the place where I want to be. It has not brought anything to me except struggle and heartbreak for nothing. For the last 15 years I have been a cowboy in that rodeo and this time I am doing something for me where the heartbreaks, struggles, problems, complications, and everything else in between all mean something monumentally great for me and maybe might inspire someone to do the same. Maybe I can take 5 million steps in the right direction? I know Hikerboy had said that you all have short attention spans, but these long written posts about what ever I think of are a part of me I just can not quit. Once I open the door the rays sunlight that come n and light up the room are phenomenal and they inspire me to do what I do best. Form words into sentences generated from deep within. My time with you guys in this forum is drawing shorter as each sun sets on the mountains that dot my horizon with beauty. This week will find me back on the trail. Well, on my way back to the trail that is. This probably will not be the last long winded post I write either. I must be going now, time to craft a well written essay contest piece on my hero. I am writing about Geoffery Chaucer. I know everyone is familiar with the Canterbury Tales, but do you know about The Parliament of Fouls and The Legend of Good Women?/i]

DakotaJoe wrote:

Morning everyone, how are we all doing today? Yesterday I loaded the pack up an tried to hike for a few hours. I got about 3 hours into my hike before the pain in the lower began to effect me and become a little less than tolerable. I have a North Face back that is probably old enough to be dubbed affectionately with the moniker of "Old School." It has three compartments to store your gear in and two places to lash things to the side of it. My body weight with clothing weighed in as 157.8 lbs and my pack with three days of food and two liters of water weighed in at 196.8 lbs. So that is 39lbs. Maybe my food rations of three days is a little on the light side. It is probably more like four days worth. I dropped the 4 lbs. of spag. noodles, 2 lbs. of rice, and 2 lbs. of elbow macaroni that I was carrying. I had got them from a food bank when we went to Calhoun and did not want them to go to waste an figured they would help me along the way. Weight and length of time it takes to cook them were the deciding factors in my decision to drop them. That is 8 lbs. of dad weight to me. So that means my pack was at least 47 lbs. not including what I ate the days I was already out there. I also dropped anything that I was carrying "Just in case." Goodbye flint striker, extra dry box, extra sleeve of batteries, extra matches, and extra clothing that I never even pulled out of the dry sacks. Another 3 lbs. of useless weight has been put into my extra's box here in Crossvile, Tn. I finally asked my mother if she would send things to me along the way. So okay, the whole point of me doing all this on my own was to not ask her for help financially because she has been doing it for the entire length of my life, but I want to do this on my own. She really does not have anything to spare, but all the stuff that I have here that may need to be sent to me while I am out there is a great benefit to me. Right? I have 4 extra pairs of boots. All of them came from Good Will, this is true, but they all fit. One is even a pair of Montrails. For any of you who have already completed a through hike, I ask you this: How long did it take until you had to replace your boots? I have heard one person say that Harper's Ferry is a great spot for a boot switch. Have you ever heard of "Florida Gators?" No, not the college football team or the animal, it is a saying in the underground utility field that refers to your feet. You see, In Florida we are right above sea level and can dig down to ground water with nothing but a shovel in some spots. Most of my career found me working in the Naples and Ft. Myers areas. When we dig, we dig deep. So water and dewatering is critical. Every workday of my career found me wearing those knee high polyvinylchloride boots. "Florida Gators" are the feet of pipe line workers in Florida that are used to going 12-16 hours a day with sandy water in their boots. Your feet get destroyed and build themselves back up to calloused "Gator Feet." I guess one thing I have going for me are my "Florida Gators." My feet are a little more resilient than some others may be. Seriously, and I know that this may sound disgusting and un-sanitary to some of you, but have you ever had to wade around in raw sewage for hours on end? I have. I was always the guy who had to make the first cut on a live sewer line before the sewage could be pumped out of it and the new line connected to the old line. When that would happen corn nuggets and other visually disturbing materials would fly out from behind the blade of the saw and splatter across your chest. Everyone would always be squeamish but the faster you move the better it is for the environment. You don't want to cut open a 16" sewer main and let the millions of gallons of nastiness seep into the ground. That is bad and also against O.S.H.A. guidelines and county law. So I'd get covered in the crap, literally, and then just go jump in a canal or wash off in fresh ground water. So being dirty and nasty is no bother to me. I am not all that sure why I relayed that story to you guys, maybe the filth factor, but It was the life I came from. I think it all came out because I keep having people I need to give it up and go get a real job. I have either served tables, worked construction, or worked for the state in the chain gang harder than most people would work for free, and it has not gotten me to the place where I want to be. It has not brought anything to me except struggle and heartbreak for nothing. For the last 15 years I have been a cowboy in that rodeo and this time I am doing something for me where the heartbreaks, struggles, problems, complications, and everything else in between all mean something monumentally great for me and maybe might inspire someone to do the same. Maybe I can take 5 million steps in the right direction? I know Hikerboy had said that you all have short attention spans, but these long written posts about what ever I think of are a part of me I just can not quit. Once I open the door the rays sunlight that come n and light up the room are phenomenal and they inspire me to do what I do best. Form words into sentences generated from deep within. My time with you guys in this forum is drawing shorter as each sun sets on the mountains that dot my horizon with beauty. This week will find me back on the trail. Well, on my way back to the trail that is. This probably will not be the last long winded post I write either. I must be going now, time to craft a well written essay contest piece on my hero. I am writing about Geoffery Chaucer. I know everyone is familiar with the Canterbury Tales, but do you know about The Parliament of Fouls and The Legend of Good Women?/i]
    well Joe, I don't know about Chancier, but I have swam with the Kernels...if you know what I mean. gif.003

rocksNsocks wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

well Joe, I don't know about Chancier, but I have swam with the Kernels...if you know what I mean. gif.003

That one is lost on me.

I say the following with the disclaimer that what you carry is your business. If it works for you, it is right. If it doesn't, you should seek for what will work for you.

There are those who like comfort at camp and those who like comfort on the trail and those who try to find balance. I am continuing to try to find that balance. It is much more fun to hike with a light pack. It is also fun to be warm and full.

The 1st place a person should seek to cut weight is with self. Every ounce that is shaved off the body is an ounce that is not carried by the legs and feet. I don't see body weight being an issue for you.

The 2nd area to look is in the big 3 (pack, tent, sleeping bag). For many, not much can be done here because of budget. I believe you already have your big 3. There is some weight savings that can be done though. I got rid of my packs brain and every attachment, divider, and strap that was not absolutely necessary. For some, this will mean a savings of a lb or more. With the other 2 I leave the stuff sacks home. I leave all stuff sacks home. Most use a 2 mm trash compactor bag as a liner for there pack. I stuff my sleeping bag in that liner bag 1st. I put in progressively harder and heavier objects in after that.

The 3rd area to look is clothes. A general rule is, if you can't wear it all at once, you are carrying too much. In other words, don't carry a wind breaker and a rain jacket. Don't carry a fleece and a thin down jacket. Carry the items you need for your area. Don't bring just in case clothing. Bring the clothing that will get you through the area and weather you will face.

Another area is cooking. You don't need a 3 lb setup. You don't need to be able to cook your food in 2 minutes. There are many options. Some are being discussed on this site now. A Kmart grease pot is a good place to start. It is cheap and light.

When it comes to food, I find about 1.4 lbs per day does me fine. It is all about calorie dense foods and getting enough protein. Notice I did not say calorie rich foods. Brazil nuts are much more calorie dense than peanuts. Woopie pies are calorie rich, but not calorie dense. Cheese is a good source of protein. I prefer Oatmeal, poptarts, gorp (macadamia nut, brazil nut, M&M mix), jerky, and Knorr's sides. I use Nuun as an electrolyte.

Lastly you have your smalls. This area is laden with opinion and options. Filters, 1st aid, repair kits, and on and on. This is an area you can save a couple lbs. It is a tinkering area. It is a fun area. It is a personal area.

Food for thought. There are likely better ways. I am still seeking.

BirdBrain wrote:

I say the following with the disclaimer that what you carry is your business. If it works for you, it is right. If it doesn't, you should seek for what will work for you.

There are those who like comfort at camp and those who like comfort on the trail and those who try to find balance. I am continuing to try to find that balance. It is much more fun to hike with a light pack. It is also fun to be warm and full.

The 1st place a person should seek to cut weight is with self. Every ounce that is shaved off the body is an ounce that is not carried by the legs and feet. I don't see body weight being an issue for you.

The 2nd area to look is in the big 3 (pack, tent, sleeping bag). For many, not much can be done here because of budget. I believe you already have your big 3. There is some weight savings that can be done though. I got rid of my packs brain and every attachment, divider, and strap that was not absolutely necessary. For some, this will mean a savings of a lb or more. With the other 2 I leave the stuff sacks home. Most use a 2 mm trash compactor bag as a liner for there pack. I stuff my sleeping bag in that liner bag 1st. I put in progressively harder and heavier objects in after that.

The 3rd area to look is clothes. A general rule is, if you can't wear it all at once, you are carrying too much. In other words, don't carry a wind breaker and a rain jacket. Don't carry a fleece and a thin down jacket. Carry the items you need for your area. Don't bring just in case clothing. Bring the clothing that will get you through the area and weather you will face.

Another are is cooking. You don't need a 3 lb setup. You don't need to be able to cook your food in 2 minutes. There are many options. Some are being discussed on this site now. A Kmart grease pot is a good place to start. It is cheap and light.

When it comes to food, I find about 1.4 lbs per day does me fine. It is all about calorie dense foods and getting enough protein. Notice I did not say calorie rich foods. Brazil nuts are much more calorie dense than peanuts. Woopie pies are calorie rich, but not calorie dense. Cheese is a good source of protein. I prefer Oatmeal, poptarts, gorp (macadamia nut, brazil nut, M&M mix), jerky, and Knorr's sides. I use Nuun as an electrolyte.

Lastly you have your smalls. This area is laden with opinion and options. Filters, 1st aid, repair kits, and on and on. This is an area you can save a couple lbs. It is a tinkering area. It is a fun area. It is a personal area.

Food for thought. There are likely better ways. I am still seeking.
    Thanks BB! I am digesting this as we speak!

For what it is worth. My pack weighed 41 lbs going into the 100 mile wilderness. That was with 10 days of food and 2 liters of water and carrying a heavy camera. I shaved off several more lbs off my base weight (everything carried minus food and water) in Monson. I am tinkering during the off season trying to save another lb or 2.

DakotaJoe wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

That one is lost on me.
    think Corn

BirdBrain wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

Hopefully my survival bracelet and survival necklace will get me through! 49.gif

You didn't tell me you were wearing those. You are all set.

Yeah man, gotta have them! I heard they were the quintessential item and make a very healthy fashion statement!
  • Re:where is dakota joes thread today?

Trebor wrote:

BirdBrain seems to be offering some sound advice. If I were you DJ I'd listen to it.

When are you set to head off to the trail?

I listen! I Listen! 49.gif I don't know, sometime next week. I broke a tent pole a while back and never did anything about it because there was supposed to be a new tent en route. I am waiting on the new tent pole to get here and then pick a day that the weather is good. Blood Mountain View, here I come! Also, I am not sure if Trainwreck sent the gaitors out yet, I should ask that question, then it is off to the trail again! I will keep you updated. My ride does not want to take me through the mountains again so it looks like I am going to be getting as close as I can and then hitching or walking the rest of the way in.