Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

where is dakota joes thread today?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• where is dakota joes thread today?

hikerboy wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

ima head on over to whiteblaze and see what the trolls are doing tonight. I think im going to swear by cotton hoodies, long johns, petticoats and wearing womens panties to prevent chaffing. :evil:

nobody goes there anymore.
    its too crowded

your wrong man, my haters still go there and those I banned from my page for using profanity or insulting people other than me, kids like that page and I will protect the children
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

DakotaJoe wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Just some unsolisted advise from someone who has done the AT & most of PCT. You will need money. What some early season hikers did when I was on AT was get to Erwin & get certified as rafting guides to stay cheap & earn some money. Plenty of time to finish NOBO hike & turn around for the yo yo. Just a hint to help.

I love to work, I can out dig three illegals with a shovel for half the pay, how do I do this?

Seriously, I would do this, is there a certain place they went or what? I would do this in a heart beat. If you have any info as to where to go I will go there and do it. I need tips like this where I can earn something cause I really aint trying to have anybody give me anything. We know what happened when Hikerboy gave me gear and the guy who was supposed to have it sent to my moms house had it sent to him and kept it. I don't want a handout, I want a hand up!
    "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006

Mountain-Mike wrote:

They just showed up early like you are on schedule to do & were lucky enough to have training on the job show up. You may want to call ahead & see if it's possible.

okay, I will sniff it out then. Thanks for the tip man, I appreciate it.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

You are so early with timing any hostel/town job won't really hurt your schedule.

Cause I have one whole year to go up and back, right? To make it legit. Id take any work I can get, id scrub crappers with my toothbrush from half of minimum wage. anything.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

My timing was more in reference to traveling window with weather. You have to get to Katahdin & back through the Whites before bad weather as far as I'm thinking to do a flip.

What kind of window is that exactly? What months?

Doing a triple flip is damn near impossible. Only 20% who start an AT thru finish & that is the easy one & you prepose a triple flip. Early time to head out on PCT or CDT is April. So you have over a year to get to Big K & back! Baxter shuts down in OCT. Best be done & back through the Whites by then to if you are smart.

I will help you anyway I can.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Doing a triple flip is damn near impossible. Only 20% who start an AT thru finish & that is the easy one & you prepose a triple flip. Early time to head out on PCT or CDT is April. So you have over a year to get to Big K & back! Baxter shuts down in OCT. Best be done & back through the Whites by then to if you are smart.

First things first. Gotta get to Neels Gap.
    No, I am not Uncle Si

Mountain-Mike wrote:

that is the long term goal, im focusing on one trail at a time. I appreciate all the info. I really do.

ChinMusic wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

I think im going to swear by cotton hoodies, long johns, petticoats and wearing womens panties to prevent chaffing. :evil:

Let us know how that anti-chaffing strategy works out.......

that was so a facetious statement to give the trolls something to eat. I went with puppies anyway :)

You are young & strong. A later season hike means lighter weight/faster hiking. Spend time to heal now, maybe along a trailside job. It's no so much the speed as longer hours in the day & less weight to carry. A job now can mean better gear/ligher weight & will last you longer! I am not an ultralight hiker, but I have never complained that my pack was to light. For now just focus on getting to Katahdin & if your goal is a yo-yo in time to get thru the Whites. From there you can take your time getting back & making some money.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

You are young & strong. A later season hike means lighter weight/faster hiking. Spend time to heal now, maybe along a trailside job. It's no so much the speed as longer hours in the day & less weight to carry. A job now can mean better gear/ligher weight & will last you longer! I am not an ultralight hiker, but I have never complained that my pack was to light. For now just focus on getting to Katahdin & if your goal is a yo-yo in time to get thru the Whites. From there you can take your time getting back & making some money.

is it common to find trailside jobs or are they few and far between. And do you tell the what you are trying to do, I mean hiking the trail? They should know the deal right? If they say no can I ask them to turn their head while I eat out of their garbage can?

On my AT hike I walked a bit with a couple that did a hike across the country, they wintered where they ended up. Started West coast, did a winter in Reno, NV. then near Atlanta next year, did the AT when I hiked with them. They split but guy finished the trek by biking back to start with another friend he met on AT. You can make dreams come tru. just have to be flexible & work at it.

And where is TeamDakotaJoe? They are supposed to be on here to relay messages to me through text. They have not even accepted my friend request. WTH?! --Ridin' Solo-- gif.008

Mountain-Mike wrote:

On my AT hike I walked a bit with a couple that did a hike across the country, they wintered where they ended up. Started West coast, did a winter in Reno, NV. then near Atlanta next year, did the AT when I hiked with them. They split but guy finished the trek by biking back to start with another friend he met on AT. You can make dreams come tru. just have to be flexible & work at it.

this is true. Flexible and versatile!

Mountain-Mike wrote:

DakotaJoe wrote:

And where is TeamDakotaJoe? They are supposed to be on here to relay messages to me through text. They have not even accepted my friend request. WTH?! --Ridin' Solo-- gif.008

Got me choking up wine on that one! Guess they figure you are here & took the night off. You don't need someone covering your back in here!

more like week off! I asked her to check once a day in case I needed to ask questions or have advice passed on while I was out there on the trail because I value the opinion and experienced hikers here. I cant access this site with my 2011 Pantech knock off of a blackberry. I guess just once a day was too much to ask for.

I would be careful judging outward appearances. Their intent is far more important. That cannot be seen as easily. From what I have seen they have been supportive. You want that attitude to remain. There may be unkown logical reasons why they are not online.
    Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

To be trueful I rayed your chances of sucess as nill when you started out. More so last year. I see a lot different this year! So much more so from talking with you tonight. Take your time & make some money. I'll go through my gear & see what can help you.

That is okay that you rated me as zero percent chance. I am a persistent little bugger with a heart full of determination. I made my mistakes and dealt with them as I jumped into a world I knew absolutely nothing about. I never stop trying no matter what happens to me and won't stop trying. I never tried to insult anyone or come across as a jerk, I can only use things like this when I'm around a computer, but I knew I needed the advice from you guys so I asked people just to help me out by relaying my questions and the answers and what not. It only takes ten minutes of a person's time to ensure my safety out there because as I demonstrated with Blood Mountain last year I will walk into situations I should not have and risk my life because I don't know any better but have that dedication and drive in my heart. So I needed a life line. I didn't think it was too much to ask to do that. Getting hurt only further helped my cause since I finally got to get on here and talk to you guys in a more sensible manner, which is personally. I do have a very flamboyant personality and love to laugh and I will be the first one to tell you that I sometimes do not take life as seriously as I should, but I always man up to my mistakes. I always take responsibility for my actions and do my best to rectify them, like writing on the shelters. I saw a bunch of graffiti on them and figured it was the norm so I did it too. I had no idea it was taboo. Why? I was led by nobody. I really regretted that action and vowed to clean it off and have along the way. Maybe I missed one or two signs or shelters while I was hustling in the rain, but how many people who have done that went back and cleaned it off or even said "Yeah, I did that, I will fix it."? I don't want to be another Rifle. I don't want to piss people off. I just want to do this. That is all I want, to prove to myself and others that no matter what stands before you, no matter the obstacle, people really can follow your dreams. I never personally asked anyone for anything other than information, which to me is the most powerful and helpful thing, but have had stuff donated to me by people that has helped me and for that I am really appreciative. I am thankful. I am humbled.

Hey Joe,
    Do you need a pair of gaitors? I'm cleaning out some closets here and found a pair that my husband maybe used a couple of times. They're Columbia brand, zip up to halfway up the calf, have snaps and strings that go under the boot. They're yours if you want them.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

An as far as a hand up. what sizes do you where for 2nd hand stuff this craxy group of misfits may have sitting around?

I am 5'9'' and 150lbs. I have a 34'' waist and wear either medium or large. I'm a little guy with a big heart.

TrainWreck wrote:

Hey Joe,
    Do you need a pair of gaitors? I'm cleaning out some closets here and found a pair that my husband maybe used a couple of times. They're Columbia brand, zip up to halfway up the calf, have snaps and strings that go under the boot. They're yours if you want them.

what are gaitors?

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Hey Joe,

what are gaitors?

mean, ugly, snipey critters that bite you when you least expect it

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Hey Joe,

what are gaitors?

I mean, I appreciate the offer, but Do I need them? I wear my rain pants all the time.

DakotaJoe wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Hey Joe,

what are gaitors?

I think that answers that question. He needs them. I will let TW describe them.
    Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.