Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

where is dakota joes thread today?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• where is dakota joes thread today?

LoboSolo wrote:

we're gonna find out in a few days wont we?
    find out what exactly?[/quote]if this belongs in the humor section. let him rest up hes gonna need it. you know it as well as i do. it aint the florida trail.if he gets to noc, well then maybe he gets to the smokies. if he gets to the smokies, well then maybe he makes it to va, and so on. right now, he hasnt yet made it to springer, so like i said, we'll find out soon enough.
    its all good

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

funny, soon as his attitude changed his karma went up big time.
    i dont believe in coincidence

His heart grew two sizes! gif.015
    i still dont understand what that emoticon means but im lmao

Think of trail angels
    Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
    Dr. Seuss Cof123

I will take the "blame" at least in some part for Dakota Joe's delayed start. I've been texting him the last day or so warning him about the extreme cold temps that are forecasted for later this weekend and the first part of next week. Per the weatherman the overnight lows are to be around 0 degrees. With DJ's inexperience and limited gear I thought it was the right thing to do. With this delayed start it would put him at Mountain Crossings about the same time the extreme cold is arriving. Sorry, but I thought it was the right thing to do. Arent we here to help, teach and support?? The last thing I want to hear is that DJ or anyone else freezing to death....

LoboSolo- chill the F out. May I remind you that in the beginning of all this Dakota Joe stuff YOU were one of the few supporters of him, now you are one of the few against...... If DJ makes it to Damascus on foot I'll buy you and him both a beer.
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

May I remind you that in the beginning of all this Dakota Joe stuff YOU were one of the few supporters of him, now you are one of the few against...... .
    in the beginning of this dakota joe stuff i assumed he was an experienced LDH but he's just another person attempting a thru-hike. most fail. hopefully he won't. nowhere did i say i was "against" him

milkman wrote:

Any latest updates. Is this still on for tomorrow. Any ETD.
    according to his Facebook page he is scheduled to get to AFSP sometime today (Friday) and spend the night at the Max Epperson shelter. Tomorrow morning he will start the walk. I'll be hiking up there tomorrow. Hopefully I will bump into him so I can give him the solvent and scrubby as promised.
    RIAP

LoboSolo wrote:

Trebor wrote:

May I remind you that in the beginning of all this Dakota Joe stuff YOU were one of the few supporters of him, now you are one of the few against...... .
    in the beginning of this dakota joe stuff i assumed he was an experienced LDH but he's just another person attempting a thru-hike. most fail. hopefully he won't. nowhere did i say i was "against" him
    You know what happens when you assume......
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

milkman wrote:

Any latest updates. Is this still on for tomorrow. Any ETD.
    according to his Facebook page he is scheduled to get to AFSP sometime today (Friday) and spend the night at the Max Epperson shelter. Tomorrow morning he will start the walk. I'll be hiking up there tomorrow. Hopefully I will bump into him so I can give him the solvent and scrubby as promised.

Karma Point for that!

Trebor wrote:

I will take the "blame" at least in some part for Dakota Joe's delayed start. I've been texting him the last day or so warning him about the extreme cold temps that are forecasted for later this weekend and the first part of next week. Per the weatherman the overnight lows are to be around 0 degrees. With DJ's inexperience and limited gear I thought it was the right thing to do. With this delayed start it would put him at Mountain Crossings about the same time the extreme cold is arriving. Sorry, but I thought it was the right thing to do. Arent we here to help, teach and support?? The last thing I want to hear is that DJ or anyone else freezing to death....

LoboSolo- chill the F out. May I remind you that in the beginning of all this Dakota Joe stuff YOU were one of the few supporters of him, now you are one of the few against...... If DJ makes it to Damascus on foot I'll buy you and him both a beer.

No "blame" involved. I would have told him the same thing. It's going to be nasty there for the next few days. He's probably not the only one going to hold out for better weather during the early days of their thru attempt this year. No need to hold the guy to higher performance standards than any other person starting their hike.

TrainWreck wrote:

No "blame" involved. I would have told him the same thing. It's going to be nasty there for the next few days. He's probably not the only one going to hold out for better weather during the early days of their thru attempt this year. No need to hold the guy to higher performance standards than any other person starting their hike.

Heck, it might take him till Easter to get past Hiawassee. It's happened before. :ohmy:
    Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

hikerboy wrote:

gif.003 it has come to my attention that dickhead murdock has commandeered my tent and isnt forwarding it to dj. what the fuck is he gonna do with it? why wouldnt he give it to dj?

What?! Jerk!!
    Maybe because DJ dropped him from his team? as "payment" for past services?
    Hope he doesn't try to sell it on ebay or craigslist.
    So DJ now has no tent? I have a 3 season North Face Tadpole that DJ could use, but it weighs 6 lb. and is here with me, not in Georgia, where he needs it.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

gif.003 it has come to my attention that dickhead murdock has commandeered my tent and isnt forwarding it to dj. what the fuck is he gonna do with it? why wouldnt he give it to dj?

WTF is up with that? I thought he was a sponser & part of the team.

Murdock singlehandedly caused more bad PR for Dakota Joe than anything Joe himself could have done. I understand he was dropped from the team a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it's the same kind of mentality in a breakup where the ex keeps the dog and the sporting gear out of spite :(

Mountain-Mike wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

What a 46.gif for brains. DJ better watch his back. If this guys stoops this low now there's no tellin' how low he'll go.
    Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

TrainWreck wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Murdock singlehandedly caused more bad PR for Dakota Joe than anything Joe himself could have done. I understand he was dropped from the team a few weeks ago. I'm guessing it's the same kind of mentality in a breakup where the ex keeps the dog and the sporting gear out of spite :(
    TrainWreck guessed it. DJ still has a tent, its the same one he has been using since he left Florida. If I remember correctly its a Ozark Trail from Wal-Mart. When he was staying in Canton I gave him a large piece of Tyvek to use as a tarp over the tent because it was leaking. Sounds like he better shelter hop until he gets some of this drama figured out. Poor guy rides his bike 700 miles to get here, just to have some jag off screw with him...
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrainWreck guessed it. DJ still has a tent, its the same one he has been using since he left Florida. If I remember correctly its a Ozark Trail from Wal-Mart. When he was staying in Canton I gave him a large piece of Tyvek to use as a tarp over the tent because it was leaking. Sounds like he better shelter hop until he gets some of this drama figured out. Poor guy rides his bike 700 miles to get here, just to have some jag off screw with him...

Shoot, I'll pay for his first night's stay at Mountain Crossings if he doesn't freeze to death first.

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Was it addressed to Dakota Joe? Messing with mail is federal offense.

hikerboy wrote:

this is the address i sent my tent and other goodies to:
    The BigBullyEmpire
    729 Fairwind Drive
    Bel Air, Md, 21014

think karma
    nope.( and dakota joe isnt a legal name anyway)maybe dickwad will come to his senses and send the tent to him. 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif 46.gif
    its all good

Sorry I am only getting to respond about this issue now but with my flight getting delayed from the snow storm in Jersey I have only got back to Florida and recently spoke to Dakota Joe. So as we now know it is true that Murdock aka Johnny B.(John Schmitt) had received the tent and chose not to send it out to Dakota Joe. We do not know what his plans are to do with it because up until last night we all believed it was on its way to Tennessee. Also we don’t know why a longtime friend of Dakota Joe would go and do something like this to him. As we all know this is how you really find who your true friends are, by the actions they do! Dakota Joe was very thankful for the donation of what was being sent to him for his hike, but had no knowledge of the communication prior to it being sent to Murdock. He is very upset with everything that has happened with Murdock being part of the team with his postings on White Blaze, the issues he brought to the forum by misrepresenting Dakota Joe and now keeping gear that was generously donated to him for this hike. Murdock (John Schmitt) is officially no longer any part of Team Dakota Joe and has no access to The Adventures of Dakota Joe Facebook page or anywhere Team Dakota Joe posts anymore!! Dakota Joe is working with some contacts to see what can be done about getting everything that was sent to Murdock from him; since it was posted on WhiteBlaze there is paper trail that it was being sent for Dakota Joe. He doesn't even just want to get it back to use it for the hike it, its about having Murdock do what he said he would and be accountable for what he has done to his friend and taking things from Hikerboy. Dakota Joe wouldn't even mind if it just to got it back to the rightful owner Hikerboy.

#KeepTheDreamAlive
    Christina From Team Dakota Joe

Yes Murdock(John Schmitt) was a sponsor but we have yet to see anything he had promised to send out. He claimed it was being sent with the generous things Hikerboy sent for Dakota Joe. He was a friend of Dakota Joe for years and became a part of Team Dakota. As you can realize he is no longer any of that anymore.

*In case you are wondering who is on Team Dakota Joe, well here it is there is Dakota Joe himself, Brittany, and Christina (which is me)...that is it!

#KeepTheDreamAlive

TrainWreck wrote:

So what exactly does Dakota Joe need if the tent and other items Hikerboy donated are not going to be available?

As of right now I don't know what he exactly needs if he can't get the stuff back. But he said he will work with what he originally brought with him when he left Florida. I know he is doing everything he can to get the items back that Hikerboy donated. He is trying to get the tracking number from when Hikerboy sent the stuff to Murdock(John Schmitt) and he is getting in contact with Bob(his new friend the police officer from Georgia) to see what can be done with what went down. As I get any information I will relay it to everyone!

#KeepTheDreamAlive

So what is the plan, assuming the worst case scenario and DJ doesn't get the items any time soon? Is he going to start his hike anyway? It's supposed to be dangerously cold in north Georgia from Sunday through Tuesday. Look at the screen capture for Blairsville (near Neels Gap) There's a 24 hour period in there where the temps will remain between 12 and 15 degrees - that's high and low for the day :(

LoboSolo wrote:

so this person is planning to hike 12,000 + miles and doesn't have the proper gear to start with?

I don't know how many of us have gear that would be sufficient for the arctic blast temps they're predicting over the next few days. I certainly don't.
    He has the same basic gear he started with last year. Minus the Rambo knife. He says he has learned some lessons :) The old gear worked sufficiently for him to make it all the way to Hiawassee last year in the winter. The stuff HB sent was an upgrade to the basic items he already had (tent, sleeping bag, stove) and would have been more suitable for really severe weather.

I'm headed up to Springer this morning to do a day hike. Maybe Ill bump into DJ on the trail. If so I'll see what the whole story is and report back. Hopefully he has the funds for a day or two at MtnX to get him through the worst of it.
    RIAP

Trebor wrote:

I If so I'll see what the whole story is and report back. Hopefully he has the funds for a day or two at MtnX to get him through the worst of it.
    he may not make it there by monday if he's startin' today. it's 38 miles http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Amicalola+Falls+State+Park+GA+291:19:US

Joe was apparently a no-show today. I hiked from Three Forks to the Black Gap Shelter and back and never saw him. On the way home I stopped at the Visitors Center at AFSP and the girl inside said the no thru hikers registered today. I guess he is either trying to handle his gear situation or waiting out the bad weather.

As I promised a few months ago, I left a package at the Visitors Center with some Goo-Gone and a scrubby pad so he can clean up his mess from the first attempt...just as he promised to do
    RIAP