Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Forgotton Cooking Skills- open fire ... Steak and Potatos.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Forgotton Cooking Skills- open fire ... Steak and Potatos.

Ahh - January - time to bone up on trail cooking dreams while waiting for that thaw.... Its raining cats and Irish wolfhounds today... saw a post from Oz - Jacko about using money to get a steak at a restaurant - because its hard to get it inside the Ti - pot... got me thinking...

When was the last time you had dirty steak? Yea - you pass a grocery just off the trail grab a small steak out of the cooler and make sure it doesn't say Chuck. Nothing wrong with a T-Bone... its like having a handle on Dinner. Slide it next to the water bladder inside the sleeve. Its good to have cold stream water, and don't worry you are not going to die. Grab a few potato's and tin foil. Hike out of town..

You get to the shelter or the clearing.. I don't want to get into all the dementia of that sign over there... (No open fire)

Clear away the leaves make sure your rocks are dry and build that circle, never use slate or wet rocks find a oval one or a flat surface. If you can find one tall one use that as a back rest, to draw the smoke away from you.

Wood - well this is something of an acquired skill, I watched many a boy fall flat on this - you are walking under trees looking for half inch thick long branches. Don't come back with logs. There is no need for a axe - or saw, just a good knife. When breaking it up start with twiggy ends and make that into a pile in the middle and as you get to the other end its every 8 to 12 inches. Go ahead and get it started and gather some more half inch stick about 1 cubic foot. If the wood is wet - you remove the bark with the knife. -- now its not wet.

Well now we have our neanderthal cook set going time to prepare those potatos. cut a large x on one side and break out some butter pats from Mcdonalds if you have them. put a little water in there too. Salt & pepper -wrap in tin foil shiny side in...
      set aside... nothing to do for a while.... you are waiting for the flames to die.... no kidding, people still think flame broiled - no you cook on the rock and coals...You can nestle the potatoes on the side provided you turn them so often. If you are a patient cus you want coals. then you place them right in there all snuggled up, rotating every once in a while....

Theres one flat rock warming up right? Thats the hearth stone...move it to the middle. Leave a tall one at the back... why? Any smoke at this point will be elective towards this if it is high enough... on a windless day if you are standing next to a fire the smoke will follow you. Let the rock do the work

Cut the meat into 4 oz sizes so its easier to spork it. Stick the meat on the stone - you should hear a sizzle, no sizzle? not hot enough....add more stick if you want.

Take you thumb and push down on the meat... if its soft it sinks in. (not done yet) if its medium pressure you are almost there. if you burn your thumb or it doensn't sink it at all - too much. Time to eat add some more stick or let it go out.

If you are having an issue fishing the potato out - take a stick and whittle a small spear poke and remove.

please make sure its cold out when leaving...my trick is stir water into the fire pit then, pull it all apart, there is not much left - you would miss it if you walked by. So long as there are not hot coals - pulling it apart - works every time.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WOO, I've been searching for a pic of one of my favorites ....."Jamboree Stew"....all I could find was this.

hickcountry.com/top-lists/18-s…tin-foil-camping-recipes/

I have another of my own for Trout....which is flavored with a packet of 'Good Seasons' Eyetalian dressing.

....but doesn't everyones kit have a folded up piece of tin foil......'just in case'........ :whistling:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • i have the grill attachment for my zip stove; i've cooked meat a couple times on it on backpacking trips but, for me, its too much hassle. i'd rather eat typical hiker crap in the woods and splurge on the way home.

actually, having soppressata in the woods is better than a steak because it's a treat that i rarely have at home. whenever i buy it it disappears. i have no self control.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• Timely thread as I am at work doing a little cooking too...

A loaf of bread on the right made from wheat, and rye with oats as well. On the right "A Turkish Dish of Meat" from Robert May's Accomplished Housewife published in the 1650s. Beef, broth, onions, butter and rice, seasoned with salt and whole peppercorns and baked. Would be perfect for the dehydrator too.
      Images
      • photo-2.JPG

156.47 kB, 800×598, viewed 450 times
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Drybones wrote:

I have a deer tenderloin marinating for tonight but i believe I'll use the gas grill, although, I do love to cook on/in a camp fire.

Deanna & I was just watching Walter Staib prepare Venison and he took pure fat back from a butcher froze it sliced it into thin strips and used a larding kneedle it insert the lard into the skin - (it melts in) then coated the meat with EVO. Then put fresh herbs on the top and shoved the whole pot into the oven. (PBS)

[IMG:http://historiccamdencounty.com/ccnews133_01_big.jpg]
    • TrafficJam wrote:

This summer I plan on learning how to catch, clean, and cook fish. That's going to be interesting.

You can do that now... search on YOU TUBE.

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

The pair of fish look like forearms cut off a zombie, but I was watching "The Walking Dead."

I thought so too, and I don't watch the Walking Dead.

I do - every morning I watch the walking dead when friends come to work without coffee. :D
    • Scottish? version with Hammock Campers - doesn't appear to be a trail... They appear to be trekking

Its a little long - but they talk about their aspirations, no apparent rock but it worked. They used some pine and I am on the fence about that too. I love the home made tools.

• WiseOldOwl wrote:

OK here is a similar video to what I am talking about. DO NOT USE SLATE - use a stone w few breaks in it.

Cooking on rocks can be dangerous. Was bow hunting one day and came out to cook lunch, bacon and eggs cooked on a flat rock. Bacon was almost done when the rock exploded and sent the bacon into the tree tops. Fortunately I was sitting on the ground and the rocks (and bacon) went over my head.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Last year one of the guys I hike with brought steaks for everyone. He explained how to cook on a rock, which I had learned many years ago. When he was done explaining the how to part I started the questions, like:
      do you carry your rock with you from home or do you find a good one to pick up during the day? He looked puzzled till I explained that every rock around a shelter or campsite might have just been on top of someone's business. Not very sanitary...
      We all made hotdog type sticks and cooked our steaks to perfection!
    • The best, by far, ribs I've ever had, I cooked on a cheap smoker and have no idea why they tasted so good, but I believe it was the ashes, the fire was over heating and I had to continually spray the fire with a mister which caused ashes to fly up and land on the meat. One of the best steaks I've had wad cooked in a cast iron frying pan over an open camp fire, again, I believe it was the ashes that landed on the meat.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

The best, by far, ribs I've ever had, I cooked on a cheap smoker and have no idea why they tasted so good, but I believe it was the ashes, the fire was over heating and I had to continually spray the fire with a mister which caused ashes to fly up and land on the meat. One of the best steaks I've had wad cooked in a cast iron frying pan over an open camp fire, again, I believe it was the ashes that landed on the meat.

Probably the heat. The best steaks are cooked at 800 to 1000 degrees. That kind of great doesn't come out of a propane bbq grill or your stove.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Dmax wrote:

Last year one of the guys I hike with brought steaks for everyone. He explained how to cook on a rock, which I had learned many years ago. When he was done explaining the how to part I started the questions, like:
      do you carry your rock with you from home or do you find a good one to pick up during the day? He looked puzzled till I explained that every rock around a shelter or campsite might have just been on top of someone's business. Not very sanitary...
      We all made hotdog type sticks and cooked our steaks to perfection!

After years of Backpacking and camping we take a lot of what we do as not special, just mundane. Try to explain dirty steak to a Boy Scout - priceless.
    • All three of my sons loved the Hobo/Foil Pack dinners in Boy Scouts. Dig a pit (unless you already had one) and fill in hot charcoal. Boys would already have diced up potatoes, carrots, and onions. Take some of each of those with hamburger and pour on seasonings wrapped in aluminum fool. Cook for like 10 minutes on the coals, and then flip it over for another 10. Come to think of it was my favorite scout meal too. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I loved the scout camp outs when I was a kid. We camped every month of the year when I lived in Ne. The best was the turkey under ground we did every thanksgiving. We also did beans under ground which comes out great! .. My favorite for on a fire is foil. No more cooking on ash or rocks for me if I can help it. But we did do plenty of it when I was younger, in the scouts.
    • Astro wrote:

All three of my sons loved the Hobo/Foil Pack dinners in Boy Scouts. Dig a pit (unless you already had one) and fill in hot charcoal. Boys would already have diced up potatoes, carrots, and onions. Take some of each of those with hamburger and pour on seasonings wrapped in aluminum fool. Cook for like 10 minutes on the coals, and then flip it over for another 10. Come to think of it was my favorite scout meal too. :)

Oh god, I hated those hobo meals. It wasnt that there is anything wrong with them per say, but that we were a bunch of preteens who just could not grasp cooking in the first place never mind cooking in a nice bed of coals. Always ended up with charred uncooked potatoes and carrots and burnt raw burger. I would hear others talk about hobo meals in hushed tones as though it were the second coming and wonder what crack they were smoking :( . Now I know better.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Astro wrote:

All three of my sons loved the Hobo/Foil Pack dinners in Boy Scouts. Dig a pit (unless you already had one) and fill in hot charcoal. Boys would already have diced up potatoes, carrots, and onions. Take some of each of those with hamburger and pour on seasonings wrapped in aluminum fool. Cook for like 10 minutes on the coals, and then flip it over for another 10. Come to think of it was my favorite scout meal too. :)

Oh god, I hated those hobo meals. It wasnt that there is anything wrong with them per say, but that we were a bunch of preteens who just could not grasp cooking in the first place never mind cooking in a nice bed of coals. Always ended up with charred uncooked potatoes and carrots and burnt raw burger. I would hear others talk about hobo meals in hushed tones as though it were the second coming and wonder what crack they were smoking :( . Now I know better.

You must of have been doing it all wrong. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • This guy has the right idea, I found it a bit odd - I would have used ramps or onion grass on the inside of the foil. Perhaps no foil at all - and the wood fire would have been going at the bottom while cleaning the fish... not a fan of the upside down pit... the straws of lemon pepper was great. I was thinking a green switch grate and stick the fish on top.