Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How could a woman just vanish?the gerry largay mystery

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't know if this is true but when I started researching the BMT, I read that there was a section in GA near a base and the soldiers sometimes trained in the woods near the trail. That really unnerved me, thinking there might be soldiers hidden in the woods and me never knowing they were there.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • a short drive down an excellent forest service road at cooper gap will take you to camp merrill. the soldiers, at least in my experience, pretty much ignore the hikers.

they can put down a chopper on top of hawk mountain (if you know where to look you can see an unmarked path that you can hike to the summit). on the bmt a couple miles or so past long creek falls there is also a "bald" which is kept clear for the same purpose.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I don't know if this is true but when I started researching the BMT, I read that there was a section in GA near a base and the soldiers sometimes trained in the woods near the trail. That really unnerved me, thinking there might be soldiers hidden in the woods and me never knowing they were there.
      Look at this potential scenario through the eyes of the folks in training. If you can't spot them, they are learning and implementing necessary skills.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • A number of years ago my wife and I were camped at West Mountain shelter, in New York, one winter night.
      We heard artillery( I think) and automatic fire for several hours. I don't know if it was coming from West Point or Camp Smith, which is right across the Hudson River from there. It certainly was "interesting" and we didn't get much sleep.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I don't know if this is true but when I started researching the BMT, I read that there was a section in GA near a base and the soldiers sometimes trained in the woods near the trail. That really unnerved me, thinking there might be soldiers hidden in the woods and me never knowing they were there.
      What you don't know wont hurt you.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Personally I feel safer knowing there are American soldiers in the woods.

When I hiked the A.T. in Georgia, we were lulled to sleep by the sound of suppressive fire from M-249's a couple of nights in a row and each time I slept peacefully until morning. My buddy did spot one soldier hiding in the area of Hawk mountain shelter, he ran away fast when he realized that he'd revealed his cover to a couple of hikers.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • This is Camp Merrill from a Marine Helo. The far notch is High Tower Gap, Ga. Those soldiers are army Ranger Officers Training in the Georgia Mountains. In November '76' after I took this photo, I was driving a truck around and pulled up on some white blazes. I stopped, got out and walked NOBO for about a half mile. turned around, got back in my truck and went to chow! Praha4 from the Blaze was there at the same time by chance!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

When I hiked the A.T. in Georgia, we were lulled to sleep by the sound of suppressive fire from M-249's a couple of nights in a row and each time I slept peacefully until morning. My buddy did spot one soldier hiding in the area of Hawk mountain shelter, he ran away fast when he realized that he'd revealed his cover to a couple of hikers.
      On the Neusiok trail you get to hear A-6's doing landing practice or some kind of heavy machine gun practice at dawn. It's a nice thing to go to sleep to.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm ok if I can see them or hear them.
    • The vast majority of my hiking is the Georgia section of the AT and BMT. I'm yet to come across any soldiers. However I have found a lot of spent rounds (blanks) on the trail and have seen the water buffalos parked on the FS roads.

Maybe Max will send me a PM with the info on the location of the side trail he mentioned... 8o
      RIAP
    • A few years ago I dropped my son off at Springer. I decided to take the long way out without a map. On one of those dirt roads I found a jeep with two soldiers standing outside looking at a map. So I stopped and asked for directions. They laughed and stated they weren't exactly sure where they were. I peeked at their map and headed on. I'm not sure if they ever figured out where they needed to go...
    • Dmax wrote:

A few years ago I dropped my son off at Springer. I decided to take the long way out without a map. On one of those dirt roads I found a jeep with two soldiers standing outside looking at a map. So I stopped and asked for directions. They laughed and stated they weren't exactly sure where they were. I peeked at their map and headed on. I'm not sure if they ever figured out where they needed to go...
      They're probably still out there.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I prefer not to speculate about real life tragedies in a public forum. Her family and friends can easily stumble across what is written here if they were to do a google search.
      THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

The thread over at TOS made me want to scream - Gerry Largay is not a story for the purpose of entertaining peoplle. She was a daughter, a wife, a mother, and she had friends.

In addition, everyone seems to forget she made her way all the way to Maine - that does not happen if one is clueless and can't figure out how to stay on a trail. The whole "wandering off" and acting like a nitwit who had never spent a day in the woods...well, I just don't buy it.

Her hiking buddy (I apologize - I can't think of her name off the top of my head) said she was methodical and said she had routines she would not deviate from. Gerry was also a nurse - Nurses (the good ones...and it sounds like she was one of the good ones) do not vary their routines. They are very much in tune with what is going on and do know how to deal with emergency situations. They are calm and methodical and get it figured out before anyone else is the wiser.

She was not an airhead who just wandered off in a daydream and was captured by aliens, or soldiers (I imagine she would have made them see reason if she encountered any). Something bad happened and I don't think it was by her choice.

I do wish there were answers so that those who love her can find some closure and peace.

Thank you for letting me vent - I have needed to say these things all along. Sooo tired of people acting like she was someone who didn't know what she was doing out there. Yes, accidents happen to even the most knowledgeable. But, too many people talk about her like she was just getting her feet wet with hiking and had no clue.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I prefer not to speculate about real life tragedies in a public forum. Her family and friends can easily stumble across what is written here if they were to do a google search.
      THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!
      The thread over at TOS made me want to scream - Gerry Largay is not a story for the purpose of entertaining peoplle. She was a daughter, a wife, a mother, and she had friends.

In addition, everyone seems to forget she made her way all the way to Maine - that does not happen if one is clueless and can't figure out how to stay on a trail. The whole "wandering off" and acting like a nitwit who had never spent a day in the woods...well, I just don't buy it.

Her hiking buddy (I apologize - I can't think of her name off the top of my head) said she was methodical and said she had routines she would not deviate from. Gerry was also a nurse - Nurses (the good ones...and it sounds like she was one of the good ones) do not vary their routines. They are very much in tune with what is going on and do know how to deal with emergency situations. They are calm and methodical and get it figured out before anyone else is the wiser.

She was not an airhead who just wandered off in a daydream and was captured by aliens, or soldiers (I imagine she would have made them see reason if she encountered any). Something bad happened and I don't think it was by her choice.

I do wish there were answers so that those who love her can find some closure and peace.

Thank you for letting me vent - I have needed to say these things all along. Sooo tired of people acting like she was someone who didn't know what she was doing out there. Yes, accidents happen to even the most knowledgeable. But, too many people talk about her like she was just getting her feet wet with hiking and had no clue.
      Now that I no longer contribute @ TOS......I can no longer block threads
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • One of the things I love about this site is that I can say what I am thinking... I would love to respond to the Inchworm thread over at TOS, but if I respond today, my words would most likely just incite someone over there who is just looking to stir the pot.

The sad thing is that my words have nothing to do with that person, but because they want to take it that way, there is nothing I can do/say. It is better to just sit in silence.

I want to commend BirdBrain for his awesome post this morning - He hit it on the head and said what many are feeling. I was off to Baxter not long after Inchworm went missing and was in the 100 Mile Wilderness for a time after that. I never met Inchworm, but my thoughts are filled with Inchworm this time of year and when I visit head to the woods. Maybe it is simply that both of them will forever be connected with Maine, and an area I love to roam.

Parkside stuck with me, too. I think he is someone I would have loved to have met on the trail, or in life. He sounds like he was an amazing young man. I think it was because he was so young and he touched so many lives on and off the trail. I think it also hit home because he was simply taking a swim at the end of a long day of hiking, something I often enjoy doing. I have been certified in advanced water rescue and safety, but even that didn't drive the lesson home like Parkside's death. I do have him and his mom (for sharing her words during her time of grief) to thank for being more aware of my surroundings when I stop to take my swim at the end of the day. I know I will think of him when I am at Pierce Pond in a few weeks.

For the many reasons, these two stick out in my mind and most likely always will.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?