Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Setting goals

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I kinda set goal for the day/week. Have my to do list I build living at the fort. Most it varies due to the weather. ie@ can we drag timber or is it to muddy & let them set for now. Is the wind low enough tht we can safely burn slash. Do I have enough fire wood cut for a cold snap? etc. Long range goal are in my mind & like hiking...one step at a time.
    • I like having a few goals, it gives me something to work for. I don't beat myself up if they're not obtained though. I believe goals need to be reasonable and a person needs to be honest about their strengths and weaknesses. If there's something I'm good at, it's knowing my strengths and weaknesses.

There is no room for ego when goal setting. I guess you could argue that it's ego that keeps us moving towards a goal when we'd rather quit. From what I've heard, this is probably true about thru hiking (?)

I wrote down my goals last year in my journal and just reread them...very funny. One of my goals was to become a better hiker...I accomplished that!

This year I want to hike 75 miles in one trip. I also want to do 10 sit ups without using my arms to propel me forward or anyone holding my feet :D . I think those are the only measurable goals that I have right now.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

in 2006 i started keeping an excel spreadsheet to track my hiking mileage. this year not only did i postpone a thru, but my total mileage for the year is going to be the 2nd lowest since i started. i'm going to get back on track next year.

Rasty wrote:

My mileage sucked this year. My mileage always sucks. Only four or five more years and I'm thinking about moving west and working seven month contracts at ski resorts. The rat race is just that, a rat race.

I wish I had kept a list from the very beginning.
    • I think the thing to do is set reasonable goals. Not "I will have six pack abs in a month" Just I will walk or work out more each day. As I grow older I find my goals exceed what my body can do. My mind tells me oh, I can move a few more logs. I should know (& often do) when to quit but, just a few more... I guess in the long run I will get stronger. Short term soreness suck though. But at least I get some instant gratification on what I have accomplished.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

im not very goal driven, although I teach goal setting at work.
      I just decide what I want to do and do it

I envy you.

i just look at life kinda like a long distance hike. if you do the things you need to do every day to be successful, then the future will take care of itself. i am an opportunist and somewhat impulsive. i am open to serendipity , knowing that lives change forever in the blink of an eye, whether by a chance meeting or a horrific tragedy. i no longer worry about things i can't control. i believe the trail always provides, and i believe life operates the same way. i am confident, knowing ive already had some major hurdles, tragedies, and challenges in my life, and through the help of friends and family, was able to overcome them. this comes with age. its a lot easier for me to look back and see how events in my past have made me the person i am today. i now look at challenges as oopportunities to learn, knowing full well that i'm probably wrong about almost everything i believe in.
      except love. im not wrong about that.i believe in love and forgiveness.
      whats my goal?
      just spreading the joy.
      every day.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I envy you.

i just look at life kinda like a long distance hike. if you do the things you need to do every day to be successful, then the future will take care of itself. i am an opportunist and somewhat impulsive. i am open to serendipity , knowing that lives change forever in the blink of an eye, whether by a chance meeting or a horrific tragedy. i no longer worry about things i can't control. i believe the trail always provides, and i believe life operates the same way. i am confident, knowing ive already had some major hurdles, tragedies, and challenges in my life, and through the help of friends and family, was able to overcome them. this comes with age. its a lot easier for me to look back and see how events in my past have made me the person i am today. i now look at challenges as oopportunities to learn, knowing full well that i'm probably wrong about almost everything i believe in.
      whats my goal?
      just spreading the joy.
      every day.

That's the 2nd time in a week that you've made me tear up. Thanks for sharing that.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I envy you.

whats my goal?
      just spreading the joy.
      every day.

That's the 2nd time in a week that you've made me tear up. Thanks for sharing that.

Ur such a girl... Girl... :thumbsup:
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • I only have 1 goal in mind, that is to spend more nights in my tent in 2015 than I did in 2014.
      I don't care if the tent is set up along a trail someplace or out in our backyard. I wouldn't even worry about using the tent but Kathy won't do any cowboy camping for 2 reasons. First is that she is a bug magnet and the tent keeps the bugs outside and away from her. The second reason is that the tent keeps our dog on the inside with us and under our control.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I only have 1 goal in mind, that is to spend more nights in my tent in 2015 than I did in 2014.
      I don't care if the tent is set up along a trail someplace or out in our backyard. I wouldn't even worry about using the tent but Kathy won't do any cowboy camping for 2 reasons. First is that she is a bug magnet and the tent keeps the bugs outside and away from her. The second reason is that the tent keeps our dog on the inside with us and under our control.

Thats totally understandable.

cowboy camping! I forgot that is one of my goals next year. I need to write it down.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I like having a few goals, it gives me something to work for. I don't beat myself up if they're not obtained though. I believe goals need to be reasonable and a person needs to be honest about their strengths and weaknesses. If there's something I'm good at, it's knowing my strengths and weaknesses.

There is no room for ego when goal setting. I guess you could argue that it's ego that keeps us moving towards a goal when we'd rather quit. From what I've heard, this is probably true about thru hiking (?)

I wrote down my goals last year in my journal and just reread them...very funny. One of my goals was to become a better hiker...I accomplished that!

This year I want to hike 75 miles in one trip. I also want to do 10 sit ups without using my arms to propel me forward or anyone holding my feet :D . I think those are the only measurable goals that I have right now.

Do the Foothills Trail, it's 76 miles...you won't regret it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I only have 1 goal in mind, that is to spend more nights in my tent in 2015 than I did in 2014.

cowboy camping! I forgot that is one of my goals next year. I need to write it down.

Write it down and put it on the refrigerator door with a magnet.
      Isn't that what everybody does with important papers? :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

If you can't remember it, it ain't worth doin.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

If you can't remember it, it ain't worth doin.

I have to write every thing down or Ill forget....I have bad ADD...So I told my Dr and he gave me medicine for it, but I kept forgetting to take it!!

(Just kidding.... But I do have ADD!)
      RIAP
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

finding a way to loose thirty pounds and sticking to it.- its not a new years thing - my hip is killing me.

The breakfast of champions works.

A gallon of black coffee and a pack of cigarettes.

i used to weigh 380

I used to carry a .380.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • LIhikers wrote:

This is special - Genghis Khan would be impressed. How do you cyber hike and spell Yurt? awesome - too cool 8)

(if I wasn't married I could pull this off if the leash wasn't so short....) wait what was bugging u?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: