Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

List of cookware you take on a hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• UL:
      MLD 475ml Ti cup w/handles
      Ruta Lucora Carbon Fibre lid
      STS Short aluminum spoon
      Smokeater908 Rollover Stove
      DIY Aluminum wind screen
      Just enough to boil water for any of my FBC meals... Use it even in the winter, the secret is to keep the alchy warm... Under 3.5oz...
      All the other times:
      BPL 1.3 litre cup w/Frying pan lid
      Zelph Venom Stove w/Custom DIY Ti simmer sleeve(yes TJ it REALLY does work
      :P ...)
      BPL Long Handle Ti spoon w/Z-Packs 'Biner
      STS Spatula...
      Never weighed it, don't care...

1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Snow Peak, Spork
      and Hybrid Spatula 1.5 oz.

This works for FBC because the handle for the spatula fits on the spork, making it a long-handled spork. The handle removed from the spatula, the spatula becomes a scraper.

I have the mesh bag for garlic, for my pan scrubber.
    • I am trying to fully imbrace the Freezer bag thing, which has worked great so far, and will be made better still with the dehydrator!

700 nested into the 900 Snow peak pots (700 to drink my coffee)
      cozy
      ti spoon.............which needs to be replaced w/longhandle
      Pocket Rocket

The rocket is awesome. as we all know......but the Snow Peak burner will sit on top of the 700 inside the 900....and is supposed to be a very serviceable unit.

Also, BB and I found that glad makes a 'pint size' freezer bag, which is all you need.

I also need to replace a windscreen that I've had since my 'Peak 1', and it does not really fit.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

I am trying to fully imbrace the Freezer bag thing, which has worked great so far, and will be made better still with the dehydrator!

cozy
      Pocket Rocket

The rocket is awesome. as we all know......but the Snow Peak burner will sit on top of the 700 inside the 900....and is supposed to be a very serviceable unit.

Also, BB and I found that glad makes a 'pint size' freezer bag, which is all you need.

I also need to replace a windscreen that I've had since my 'Peak 1', and it does not really fit.

You forgot something :whistling: .

Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I am trying to fully imbrace the Freezer bag thing, which has worked great so far, and will be made better still with the dehydrator!

cozy
      Pocket Rocket

• CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

cozy
      Pocket Rocket

Add to those............
      Images
      • untitled 25.png

99.96 kB, 259×194, viewed 408 times
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Grinder wrote:

Pot, mug, spork, French press ( rei.com/product/708069/snow-peak-titanium-french-press-3-cup ).

Does the manual grinder count as cookware or can I leave it off the list?

We can leave it off the list of shared gear when we hike together! Fresh ground!!! & I thought I was a coffee snob because I either do cowboy coffee correctly or bring my french press mug!
    • I had small brainstorm while tinkering in the garage with my hiking stuff today. I use a single serving soup bowl with it's plastic top for my coffee cup/bowl. The problem is that the plastic lid always gets cracked after a few outings. So I thought I would make one out of aluminum flashing. Then it occurred to me that my cup lid could also serve as my ground shield for my cat can stove. The cup top kinda looks like a giant bottle cap, but it works and now my cook kit is .3oz lighter.
      Images
      • Coffee Cup.jpg

39.9 kB, 512×384, viewed 359 times
      • Cook Kit.jpg

47.94 kB, 512×384, viewed 356 times
      • Packed Up.jpg

52.21 kB, 512×384, viewed 384 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • CoachLou wrote:

cozy
      Pocket Rocket

Man!!! 15 second search
    • Cook gear crosses into multipurpose items. My list, more or less, including the multipurpose stuff:

Penny Stove 2.0, modified to add a primer and a simmer ring. Also, a homemade steamer basket and support ring from dollar-store cookie-sheet foil. If I'm not using the steamer basket, it gets placed under the stove as a ground protector/heat reflector.
      Homemade pot stand bent from aluminium rod stock.
      Homemade windscreen cut from a dollar-store cookie sheet.
      Grease Pot from XYZ-Mart
      Cup/bowl with lid from a GSI Dualist cookset. Nests nicely in the Grease Pot.
      Lexan spork (they were in a bin at the Revere Ware outlet store in Harriman, and I picked up a few).
      Freezer bag cozy - homemade from Reflectix insulation and foil flue tape.
      Melitta #2 pour-over coffee filter. This is a luxury item. But I insist on decent coffee, even on the trail.
      Foil muffin cups if I intend to steam-bake something. (I also have silicone ones that are reusable but Too Heavy, so I seldom bring them.)
      Piece of an onion bag as a pot scrubber, if I'm planning on cooking something that can't be done FBC.
      Little bottle of Dr Bronners soap (multipurpose. Anything I'm washing gets washed with this.)
      Little squeeze bottle of EVOO.
      Bottled water bottle (ranging from 8 oz to half-litre depending on trip duration) of denatured alcohol. I use blue bottles for this purpose, since none of my other bottles are blue. All are marked FUEL on the caps and have a red band painted around them.
      1-litre widemouth Nalgene with a Reflectix cozy, to serve as a thermos, bed warmer, coffee pot, water bottle, etc. I know Nalgenes are heavy, but I want one bottle that will stand up to boiling water and other random abuse.
      10-litre Sea to Summit bucket sometimes gets used for dishwater. Also for washing clothing and washing me, and for carrying water from a distant source for treating in camp, and I like having a half-bucket of water to hand if there's a campfire - or even just against the possibility of an accident with the stove.
      Bic lighter. And a firesteel. In deep cold, to prime the stove, I sometimes have to resort to throwing a spark from the firesteel into a bit of alcohol-impregnated TP.
      Tinder box. I seldom have a campfire, but have been in situations where I've needed one. I use an Altoids tin full of cotton balls and Vaseline. If I do have a fire, I'll likely scrape a few coals under my pot stand so as not to need to use the stove fuel.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • My kit is pretty basic - Pocket Rocket stove with a 750ml ti pot. Have a few different utensils to chose from depending on whats on the menu. However, its usually freezer bag or Mountain House type stuff.

For day hikes I typically use a homemade alcohol stove in stead of the pocket rocket. If someone else happens to be there and comments on the stove Ill usually give it to them. Got a bunch in the garage I made for just that purpose.
      RIAP
    • 1. Stoves
      Solo hike, usually an alcohol stove - normally my titanium Evernew stove set but looking forward to using BB's eCHS stove. Have used his side burner one which is great with the 1.3l Evernew pot but flame is to wide with narrower pots.
      Hiking with partner - MSR Pocket Rocket.
      2. Pots
      Short solo hikes sometimes just my $1 thrift shop single wall steel mug with lid. Holds about 500ml.
      Longer solo hikes - 1.3l Evernew titanium pot. Often with mug as a backup.
      Where fires are permitted - Stainless steel "billy" which can be placed on, or hung over, a fire. Usually keep water boiling in it all night for use by all at campsite.
      Hiking with partner - same as longer solo hikes.
      3. Miscellaneous
      Half an old dishcloth - used for cleanup and as oven mitt for picking up hot items.
      Long handled spoon (have alloy and titanium ones - save money alloy is as good).
      Sometimes carry very small, light and cheap tongs. Usually when I have foil for cooking sausages on a campfire hotplate.
      Pot, mug and billy all have reflectix cozy.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Cook gear crosses into multipurpose items. My list, more or less, including the multipurpose stuff:

Penny Stove 2.0, modified to add a primer and a simmer ring. Also, a homemade steamer basket and support ring from dollar-store cookie-sheet foil. If I'm not using the steamer basket, it gets placed under the stove as a ground protector/heat reflector.
      Homemade pot stand bent from aluminium rod stock.
      Homemade windscreen cut from a dollar-store cookie sheet.
      Grease Pot from XYZ-Mart
      Cup/bowl with lid from a GSI Dualist cookset. Nests nicely in the Grease Pot.
      Lexan spork (they were in a bin at the Revere Ware outlet store in Harriman, and I picked up a few).
      Freezer bag cozy - homemade from Reflectix insulation and foil flue tape.
      Melitta #2 pour-over coffee filter. This is a luxury item. But I insist on decent coffee, even on the trail.
      Foil muffin cups if I intend to steam-bake something. (I also have silicone ones that are reusable but Too Heavy, so I seldom bring them.)
      Piece of an onion bag as a pot scrubber, if I'm planning on cooking something that can't be done FBC.
      Little bottle of Dr Bronners soap (multipurpose. Anything I'm washing gets washed with this.)
      Little squeeze bottle of EVOO.
      Bottled water bottle (ranging from 8 oz to half-litre depending on trip duration) of denatured alcohol. I use blue bottles for this purpose, since none of my other bottles are blue. All are marked FUEL on the caps and have a red band painted around them.
      1-litre widemouth Nalgene with a Reflectix cozy, to serve as a thermos, bed warmer, coffee pot, water bottle, etc. I know Nalgenes are heavy, but I want one bottle that will stand up to boiling water and other random abuse.
      10-litre Sea to Summit bucket sometimes gets used for dishwater. Also for washing clothing and washing me, and for carrying water from a distant source for treating in camp, and I like having a half-bucket of water to hand if there's a campfire - or even just against the possibility of an accident with the stove.
      Bic lighter. And a firesteel. In deep cold, to prime the stove, I sometimes have to resort to throwing a spark from the firesteel into a bit of alcohol-impregnated TP.
      Tinder box. I seldom have a campfire, but have been in situations where I've needed one. I use an Altoids tin full of cotton balls and Vaseline. If I do have a fire, I'll likely scrape a few coals under my pot stand so as not to need to use the stove fuel.

UH as a group we are coming to your house next Monday to help you.... Yea its a Hiker intervention.... ;(
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: