Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Chick Peas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CLICK

Yesterday I watched one of the "Restaurant Impossible" with Robert Irvine for a Camp kitchen for kids going thru cancer surgeries. I was amazed how wonderful the change was for the kids the 10k donation to the future of the camp - etc...

One think stood out - Robert made a delicious camp food for the kids that get's past all the "food allergies" issue. He took a mixing bowl lots of Olive Oil and seasonings and tossed in Chick Peas. drenched in EVO spread on a cookie sheet 400° for 45 minutes - crunchy goodness...

I found the recipe above. Once cooked at home I bet it fits with weight and pack-ability.

Give it a shot - appears easy enough!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I used to get a similar product in England. Provided a great crunch with a bit of salt and was less expensive than roasted peanuts. Take care and watch the intake, chickpeas had an unfortunate end result with a couple of folks in the group.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

I used to get a similar product in England. Provided a great crunch with a bit of salt and was less expensive than roasted peanuts. Take care and watch the intake, chickpeas had an unfortunate end result with a couple of folks in the group.
      i'll never eat posthumus peas again. <X

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• rafe wrote:

I usually make a fresh batch of hummus every couple of weeks. Main ingredient is chick peas. Pretty simple recipe, easy to make if you have a food processor. Most of the work is cleaning up.
      I've tried to make it but it tastes like paste. I found that I needed a lot more olive oil to get the consistency right than I wanted. Will you post your recipe in the recipe section?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

rafe wrote:

I usually make a fresh batch of hummus every couple of weeks. Main ingredient is chick peas. Pretty simple recipe, easy to make if you have a food processor. Most of the work is cleaning up.
      I've tried to make it but it tastes like paste. I found that I needed a lot more olive oil to get the consistency right than I wanted. Will you post your recipe in the recipe section?

That format is too tough to follow. I never measure stuff out. So here's the general idea. I make a big batch because it's no more trouble than a little batch, and we eat a lot of the stuff, especially in summer.

Chick Peas (aka Garbanzos):
      Start with about 12 oz. dry chick peas, or two large (29 oz.) cans. Or maybe one large and one small can. (How much can your food processor hold?) If using canned garbanzos, just drain and rinse first. If dry: soak for 12-24 hrs. first, then boil for about an hour, then drain and rinse.

Tahini: about 1/3 or 1/2 of a 16 oz. jar. Mix it well -- it often separates out with the oil on top and the good stuff below.
      Lemon Juice: a cup or so, mostly to adjust consistency. Can use commercial (eg. ReaLemon) juice, you don't actually have to squeeze your own.
      Garlic: three or four large cloves, to taste. Chop it some before putting it in the food processor.
      Salt: a teaspoon or so, to taste
      Cumin: to taste
      Olive Oil: optional, maybe 1/4 cup max
      Olives: optional, pitted of course... maybe 1/2 cup or so

Throw it all in the food processor and let 'er rip. Add enough lemon juice to make a thick paste. The hardest part of this process is scooping the hummus out of the food processor and cleaning it all up afterwards.

In the fridge it lasts a couple of weeks.

Serving: to make it look really authentic, spread it out on a flat dish, make a depression in the center. Make a puddle of olive oil in the center. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with wedges of fresh pita bread.
    • rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rafe wrote:

That format is too tough to follow. I never measure stuff out. So here's the general idea. I make a big batch because it's no more trouble than a little batch, and we eat a lot of the stuff, especially in summer.

Start with about 12 oz. dry chick peas, or two large (29 oz.) cans. Or maybe one large and one small can. (How much can your food processor hold?) If using canned garbanzos, just drain and rinse first. If dry: soak for 12-24 hrs. first, then boil for about an hour, then drain and rinse.

Tahini: about 1/3 or 1/2 of a 16 oz. jar. Mix it well -- it often separates out with the oil on top and the good stuff below.
      Lemon Juice: a cup or so, mostly to adjust consistency. Can use commercial (eg. ReaLemon) juice, you don't actually have to squeeze your own.
      Garlic: three or four large cloves, to taste. Chop it some before putting it in the food processor.

Throw it all in the food processor and let 'er rip. Add enough lemon juice to make a thick paste. The hardest part of this process is scooping the hummus out of the food processor and cleaning it all up afterwards.

Serving: to make it look really authentic, spread it out on a flat dish, make a depression in the center. Make a puddle of olive oil in the center. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with wedges of fresh pita bread.
      sounds delicious, I'm trying it.
    • Can you get tahini down souf? I mean, sometimes it's tricky to find, even up here in MA. Might have to go to a hippy food store.

I just made a fresh batch, smaller than the usual batch. One 29 oz. can of garbanzos, 2/3 cup of tahini and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Add more lemon juice gradually till you get the consistency you want.
    • Rafe it looks like you cook like my wife. Great cook (probably too good, at point I had gained 70 pounds), but never precise. Not one for recipes really either, but always willing to tweak and try new things. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • rafe wrote:

Can you get tahini down souf? I mean, sometimes it's tricky to find, even up here in MA. Might have to go to a hippy food store.

I just made a fresh batch, smaller than the usual batch. One 29 oz. can of garbanzos, 2/3 cup of tahini and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Add more lemon juice gradually till you get the consistency you want.
      Yes, I can get it. We're not heathens down here. Okay, some of us are. :D
    • socks wrote:

Dried wasabi peas from trader joes are a staple for me. Watch out for your dental work though, every know and again I get a real hard one $$$
      Are you sure you're not crunching on a rock? I oft found small stones when buying raw chickpeas in the Turkish market stall I frequented.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

rafe wrote:

Adding lemon or lime juice to taste is the remedy.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rafe wrote:

Canned vs. dried chick peas:. Prefer dried. I soak, then cook in a crockpot adding salt as preferred.

Prior to processing, sauté garlic cloves using EVOO to enhance flavour along with all or some of the following diced yellow/white onion, jalapeno , chilies, and bell pepper. A drop or two of a dry white wine while sautéing provides additional flavour enhancement, Often I'll sauté the above, but whole (preferably large) cloves are easily oven roasted allowing for time management as well as wafting a wonderful aroma throughout the neighborhood.

EVOO is almost a must to achieve desired consistency.

Considering the crowd I feed, the end result does not last long...let along two weeks in the fridge.

Cleaning the food processor is a snap with a soapy hot H2O spin, rinse, and into the dish washer.

Enjoy.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

socks wrote:

Dried wasabi peas from trader joes are a staple for me. Watch out for your dental work though, every know and again I get a real hard one $$$
      Are you sure you're not crunching on a rock? I oft found small stones when buying raw chickpeas in the Turkish market stall I frequented.
      luckily no, but sometimes I wonder. I always seperate beans when working with them...nothing worse than biting into a nice smooth spoonful of retried beans only to find a stone.
    • When using dry chick peas do you peel off the skins? I had an Azeri friend over to cook for us and she was VERY insistent that I peal the skins off after cooking. When I suggested that this wasn't really necessary she gave me this "You've got to be kidding" look. Chick peas are a big deal in Azerbaijan so I learned not to question the Azeri cook.
    • rafe wrote:

Peel off the skins? You've got to be kidding. No. Never gave a moment's though to doing that. Never heard of it.
      Nargilya is going to hunt you down and give that look. BTW another great part of Azeri cooking I learned from her is the liberal use of Pomegranates. I always have some on hand, at least if they are in season. Her ne means Pomegranate (Nar in Turkish languages)