Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

HEY ALL YOU JERK(y maker)S! Help out a noob?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• HEY ALL YOU JERK(y maker)S! Help out a noob?

So I've finally gotten around to doing something other than letting my dehydrator collect dust (it makes very nice, evenly dried dust, FYI). Today I dried out some bananas. I have a lot to learn.

I want to make jerky, and as usual I've done TOO MUCH looking around rather than finding something that sounded good and rolling with it. I see recipes and general how-to guides that insist you MUST use curing salt, others that make no mention. I see talk of freezing the meat for months before jerking it and other talk of jerking away shortly after procuring fresh meat.

Although I know there are likely to be a variety of opinions here, I know (more or less) you kids, and trust your opinions (less--err I mean more or less. Yeah...that's what I mean.). So, if you don't mind giving some pointers, tips, advice, rules, edjumicashun, thread drift, and at least a dash of that Cafe favorite, tomfoolery, I'd appreciate it a bunch.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • As you said, there will be all sorts of opinions and individual secrets, but its all pretty simple.

A few universal truths --

Get cuts without a lot of fat and significant marbling, especially if you're wanting shelf life beyond a couple weeks. The fat will go rancid.

Try to cut you meat to a uniform thickness. The strips of meat do not all have to be exactly the same, but close enough that all the jerky comes to be finished at the same time. I like 1/4 inch.

Chilling the meat in the freezer for an hour or two makes it easier to cut the meat.

Now as far as making jerky and recipes, remember that its a rather low heat (about 160º) along with moving air carrying away moisture, which dries and preserves the meat. Nothing else is required, however, all those marinades, rubs and seasonings that folks can be passionate about are as much about a flavor and texture than they are necessary for preservation. If you understand that, then there are infinite recipes and flavors you can play with.

As a starting point -- and I think everyone at one time or another started here --

Make a marinade with about 1/3 cup each of soy and Worcsetershire sause, a little brown sugar or honey and then black pepper, onion and garlic powder. You can even add liquide smoke. Then marinate the strips of meat to be dried for atleast 2 hours. Now remember this is just a starting point, tinker all you want. I like spicy and tend to add pepper sauces.

Place strips of meat on drying rack, about 3/4 inch apart to allow for sufficient air flow. If your dryer has temp control set to 160º. There are variables, but I find that my jerky is usually dried at about 6-8 hours. The finished jerky should be pliable. If dried too long its brittle and if not dried long enough it'll just feel like...well.. a piece of meat.

Hope this helps. Hopefully Wise Old Owl will be along as he has certainly tinkered quite abit with jerky.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Thanks, Tuckahoe!

Yeah, I'm not too worried about flavor/recipes specifically, as much as technique. I'll start out using recipes from others (or packaged stuff like I got the other day because it sounded good), and definitely mess around with flavors, even improvising my own, once I feel comfortable that I'm doing it all wrong.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Those freezing the meat for months before jerking it are truly masters of their domain.

[IMG:http://blogs-images.forbes.com/merrillbarr/files/2014/07/10seinfeld-cityroom-superJumbo.jpg]

:( 16 years... RIP.

There are now kids getting drivers licenses who never watched Sienfeld on a Thursday night. Elaine was hot!

Now back to jerky making!

• Hi Tuck please allow me to use your template post and just tweek it a little.....

Tuckahoe wrote:

As you said, there will be all sorts of opinions and individual secrets, but its all pretty simple.

A few universal truths --

Get cuts without a lot of fat and significant marbling, especially if you're wanting shelf life beyond a couple weeks. The fat will go rancid. UH NO.... The marbled sholder meat is king as it melts into the nearby muscle adding smooth flavor, acid prevents the rancid issues heavy Soy's or Worcestershire that is Low in sodium are king and a soak overnight.

Try to cut you meat to a uniform thickness. The strips of meat do not all have to be exactly the same, but close enough that all the jerky comes to be finished at the same time. I like 1/4 inch. I agree - I like using an electric knife or my Slicer (hate the clean up) but give this some thought... I had another chef recommend this MEAT MALLET and I am pounding my meat with every production (stop laughing) Not chewy and not soft, The hammer makes a huge difference.

Chilling the meat in the freezer for an hour or two makes it easier to cut the meat. I gave up on that - I use fresh, I am sure that idea works.

Now as far as making jerky and recipes, remember that its a rather low heat (about 160º) along with moving air carrying away moisture, which dries and preserves the meat. Nothing else is required, however, all those marinades, rubs and seasonings that folks can be passionate about are as much about a flavor and texture than they are necessary for preservation. If you understand that, then there are infinite recipes and flavors you can play with.

Yes I agree the Soy or Worcestershire one or the other uh never both at the same time. The best inexpensive machines are Nesco but there are a few things required... See end of post.

As a starting point -- and I think everyone at one time or another started here --

Make a marinade with about 1/3 cup each of soy and Worcestershire sause, a little brown sugar or honey and then black pepper, onion and garlic powder. You can even add liquid smoke. Then marinate the strips of meat to be dried for at least 2 hours.??? OVERNIGHT Now remember this is just a starting point, tinker all you want. I like spicy and tend to add pepper sauces.

Place strips of meat on drying rack, about 3/4 inch apart to allow for sufficient air flow. If your dryer has temp control set to 160º. There are variables, but I find that my jerky is usually dried at about 6-8 hours. The finished jerky should be pliable. If dried too long its brittle and if not dried long enough it'll just feel like...well.. a piece of meat.

Hope this helps. Hopefully Wise Old Owl will be along as he has certainly tinkered quite abit with jerky.

You really explained this very well, but the acids have to have time to work. They are so weak out of the bottle, I have soaked 2 days a few times.

I have a few preferences that will help everyone. Make sure you have a spray on unflavored Canola or Olive oil non stick to spray the trays. TED ALLEN proved in a taste test people cannot tell the difference between real smoke and Wrights Liquid Smoke. The others are convoluted. I keep an unflavored ultra hot sauce Pete's bottle and a Tabasco Chipotle as well as Chohula

thanks again Tuck loved your post!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

How come I don't see vinegar mentioned? I thought you had to use vinegar...or does soy work just as well?

There is no reason not to use vinegar and its use is going to inhibit bacterial growth. I would say that any lack of mentioning vinegar itself is simply based on tastes and preference. Vinegar is actually fairly common and a quick search for jerky recipes will actually show dozens if not hundreds based on vinegar. My preference is worcsetershire sause, of which vinegar is a key ingredient, so I may never directly mention vinegar, but it is still there as a major component.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

How come I don't see vinegar mentioned? I thought you had to use vinegar...or does soy work just as well?

Balsamic or apple cider works. You just need salt and acid. Soy provides both with a stronger flavor that enhances the beef flavor.

A honey balsamic and black pepper jerky might be nice.

I'm lazy cooking at home and have only made jerky a few times with the same soy based recipe. We can't make jerky in restaurants because we are not USDA inspected so it's not something we do.

Sausage is a different story.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I've used Apple cider vinegar and it was still bad...maybe soaked too long? All I could taste was vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar is strong at around 2.5% to 3.5% vinegar acid. Good balsamic is around 1% to 2% vinegar acid. Really good balsamic is around 1/2% vinegar acid and is drunk as a digestive.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TJ I use a lot of apple cider vinegar... I love the flavor it adds... Rasty beat me to it...

Here is another thought, Vinegar or bad wine was added to water to purify and cleanse - used by the Romans, and the soldiers and given to Christ on the cross, to clear the thirst.
    • This my help or it may not but here goes:
      I use London Broil steaks. They seem to have less fat are are inexpensive. Put the meat in the freezer for a hour. This seems to make slicing easier. Cut as many strips as possible to the same thickness, 1/4 inch or a little less. I use the Low Sodium Dales Meat Sauce. Put the jerky slices in a large bowl and saturate with the meat sauce. Use your hands to stir the meat around to make sure everything is good and covered. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put in the fridge over night. The next day lay out several paper towels on the counter. Lay out the strips and cover with more paper towels. The idea is to soak up the excess sauce. I use a smoker with hickory chips not a dehydrator but the results will be the same i imagine. I smoke mine for about 3 hours until they are dry but not dried out and brittle. This takes some experience and trial and error to figure out the timing and temperature. Ive never had any complaints.......
      Another recipe is to use equal amounts of worchichire (sp) sauce and soy sauce. I also add in several shakes of Texas Pete hot sauce and about two spoon fulls of black pepper. The preparation and cooking is the same as above.
      The fun part of making jerky is experimenting. Have fun
      RIAP
    • massaging it helps to break up the connective tissue. to much and it'll break like a broke dick dog.

Broke Dick Dog
      A very bad situation that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Or in this case the lowliest creature on earth. A broke-dick dog.
      Dutch: Hey Billy, give me a way out of this hole. Aerial says we are cut off.Billy: The only way outta here is that valley that leads to the east. But I wouldn't wish that on a Broke Dick Dog.

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Broke+Dick+Dog
    • I've used London broil sliced by my butcher at 0.25, with teriyaki, black pepper, and a bit of salt for the marinade to good effect.

The article on safely preparing home made jerky provided good info I'll incorporate.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • socks wrote:

massaging it helps to break up the connective tissue. to much and it'll break like a broke dick dog.

Broke Dick Dog
      A very bad situation that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. Or in this case the lowliest creature on earth. A broke-dick dog.
      Dutch: Hey Billy, give me a way out of this hole. Aerial says we are cut off.Billy: The only way outta here is that valley that leads to the east. But I wouldn't wish that on a Broke Dick Dog.

reminds me of the old joke.

[IMG:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z1dnfkQHQMc/TjrhqKedcAI/AAAAAAAAAFc/-qe3-1EAG-U/s1600/Lucky.jpg]
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

massaging it helps to break up the connective tissue. to much and it'll break like a broke dick dog.

Broke Dick Dog

reminds me of the old joke.

[IMG:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-z1dnfkQHQMc/TjrhqKedcAI/AAAAAAAAAFc/-qe3-1EAG-U/s1600/Lucky.jpg]

Does he have a kickstand?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • [IMG:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QFKQePVcL.jpg]

This meat pounder is larger than it looks, Slicing London Broil top round,- not chuck is best accomplished on a meat slicer at 1/4 and pounded on one side to make wide strips - this breaks the meat and tenderizes and it will absorb more flavors. If you don't have a slicer use a electric meat knife on a diagonal pound and soak overnight. Most of the guys prefer a chew - not a tough cut, this extra step is important for a softer chew. I also prefer a marbled top sholder that my butcher provides at 2 or 3 pounds. 3 pounds is the maximum amount on a Nesco.

About the heat or hot sauces- its one tablespoon per pound for medium, its two tablespoons for hot.
    • First batch is done. Seems to be done right, and it's tasty. I got lazy and used a seasoning I found in a store. I took some pics with my phone but I'll have to post them later.