Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

HEY ALL YOU JERK(y maker)S! Help out a noob?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Okay, here are the photos. I think the ones without flash came out better than with flash. The jerky looks darker WITH flash.

As for flavor, while it tastes good, I need to do a better job of spreading out the seasoning. I put it all in a bowl, did a little layering of seasoning/meat/seasoning, then shook it up and mixed by hand. Still not even. Some don't have much flavor (seasoning flavor that is--the meat's tasty already), others have...uhh...extra.

All in all, not too shabby for my first time out of the gate, if I do say so myself.
      Images
      • 1.jpg

155.88 kB, 800×450, viewed 300 times
      • 2.jpg

130.12 kB, 800×450, viewed 312 times
      • 3.jpg

69.71 kB, 800×450, viewed 305 times
      • 4.jpg

57.72 kB, 800×450, viewed 306 times
      • 5.jpg

61.69 kB, 800×450, viewed 319 times
      • 6.jpg

80.11 kB, 800×450, viewed 308 times
      • 7.jpg

117.44 kB, 800×450, viewed 322 times
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Okay, here are the photos. I think the ones without flash came out better than with flash. The jerky looks darker WITH flash.

As for flavor, while it tastes good, I need to do a better job of spreading out the seasoning. I put it all in a bowl, did a little layering of seasoning/meat/seasoning, then shook it up and mixed by hand. Still not even. Some don't have much flavor (seasoning flavor that is--the meat's tasty already), others have...uhh...extra.

All in all, not too shabby for my first time out of the gate, if I do say so myself.

Don't be afraid to handle your meat more! Just make sure your wash your hands first.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • The only problem with that, WOO, is it's less for me. :P

I let a couple friends try some and they liked it. I got some feedback. I have a few more folks who'll get to taste it.

Definitely needs MORE flavor, and more evenly spread flavor. As to the more, the package said 24 hours, I only did overnight. All told it probably sat 13 hours in the seasoning. So that's one thing I already know. But hey, I wouldn't fit in here if I wasn't doing it all wrong, right?
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

The cafe amazes me... In one thread we wail about the phallic appearance of a playdo tool all the while discussing the tasty appearance of one's jerking :)

I have been good and kept my mouth shut. You don't how hard it's been. :)

After a while it won't be so hard.

Just suck on it a little bit. :P
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Tuckahoe wrote:

The cafe amazes me... In one thread we wail about the phallic appearance of a playdo tool all the while discussing the tasty appearance of one's jerking :)

I have been good and kept my mouth shut. You don't how hard it's been. :)

After a while it won't be so hard.

Just suck on it a little bit. :P

Stimulating conversation, but I'm tip toeing away before I get in big trouble. ;)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I'm fiddling with the jerky today.

I splurged and bought a beautiful, grass fed, top round from the local butcher's. I don't have a finished product yet but this is the marinade that I made (thanks Tuckahoe, I think I'll like this one).

1/3 cup Soy sauce
      1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
      2 tsp honey
      1/2 tsp black pepper
      1/2 tsp onion powder
      1/2 tsp garlic powder
      6-7 shakes of Tapatio hot sauce
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• I went with 160 for the whole time and it worked great. I started out planning 160 for the first hour then lowering it (after seeing mention of lower temp use here), but after doing some more reading and seeing nearly everything mention higher (150+) temps, I ran with that. My dehydrator said 160 also.

I may try going with a lower temp next time but I already didn't know what the hell I was doing so I didn't want to add in something I didn't see much support for.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I read that the USDA recommends heating the meat to 160* prior to dehydrating and then dehydrating at 130*-140*. It's already in the dehydrator so I may keep it on 160* for a while then lower the temp.

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The jerky is in the dehydrator but I'm unsure about temp. Tuckahoe suggested 160*...I'm afraid that will cook the meat. Any other suggestions?

Meat needs 160 degrees to lessen the time in the danger zone for bacteria. The USDA recommendation if valid.

Yup, this.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm fiddling with the jerky today.

I splurged and bought a beautiful, grass fed, top round from the local butcher's. I don't have a finished product yet but this is the marinade that I made (thanks Tuckahoe, I think I'll like this one).

1/3 cup Soy sauce
      2 tsp honey
      1/2 tsp black pepper
      1/2 tsp onion powder
      1/2 tsp garlic powder

How much meat was this for? A pound, two, three?
    • Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm fiddling with the jerky today.

1/3 cup Soy sauce
      2 tsp honey
      1/2 tsp black pepper
      1/2 tsp onion powder
      1/2 tsp garlic powder

How much meat was this for? A pound, two, three?

I have never ever been the sort if cook that worried about measurements; I have always gone along the line if that looks good, or that's about right. But with those portions it's good for about 2lbs +/-
    • That was my ballpark guess and where I planned to start. Not that I need to make more jerky since I haven't finished off or given away all of the last batch, but as much fun as I had, I'm probably going to jump on it again soon.
    • TJ, I understand the need for the meat to be less hot - Just wanted to share 2 ideas. the meat at 1 pound is 1 Tablespoon of a simple hot sauce and will stay mild in the soak.

Soy and Worcestershire serve the same job.. acid. They prevent molding, I dropped one (Worcestershire) as I am working with Americans and that flavor is not a constant favorite.. and subbed Apple Cider Vinegar. A huge favorite. Then over time changed the ratio to more sauce and less cider.

Slow it down 4 hours at 140 with a shut off timer then you have one more hour to make adjustments.

Sounds like you are off to a great start - I hope you like playing around with it as much as I do.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I hope you washed your hands afterwards.....

That is why we have tongs

Reminds me of this:

A man entered a restaurant and sat at the only open table. As he sat down, he knocked the spoon off the table with his elbow. A nearby waiter reached into his shirt pocket, pulled out a clean spoon, and set it on the table. The diner was impressed. "Do all the waiters here carry spoons in their pockets?"The waiter replied, "Yes. Ever since an Efficiency Expert visited our restaurant... He determined that 17.8% of our diners knock the spoon off the table. By carrying clean spoons with us, we save trips to the kitchen."The diner ate his meal. As he was paying the waiter, he commented, "Forgive the intrusion, but do you know that you have a string hanging from your fly?"The waiter replied, "Yes, we all do. Seems that the same Efficiency Expert determined that we spend to much time washing our hands after using the men's room. So, the other end of that string is tied to my penis. When I need to go, I simply pull the string, do my thing, and then return to work. Having never touched myself, there really is no need to wash my hands. Saves a lot of time.""Wait a minute," said the diner, "how do you get your penis back in your pants?""Well, I don't know about the other guys, but I use the spoon."
    • TrafficJam wrote:

It was 3/4 lb for the first batch. It covered the meat and I periodically gave it a good shake.

I generally don't measure either but thought it might be helpful to keep notes for future batches.

Once I ran short on marinade ingredients. Rather than water it down to cover all the meat, I put it in a ziplock bag and worked all the air out, then sealed it...was able to cover the entire piece this way, with plenty of marinade to spare.