Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Cumberland Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Went to a Cumberland Trail event tonight to learn about volunteer opportunities. It was more of a recognition event for past volunteers. It was crowded and difficult to talk to people but the food and beer was good.

A Boy Scout was raising money to build CT1, the first CT privy. I donated $2.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • I'm sure y'all have heard of the Cumberland Gap, a narrow passageway used by native Americans and settlers. The gap is the low point of the Cumberland mountains where TN, KY, and VA meet. It was a major route for early pioneers. It was also the scene of civil war skirmishes because of its strategic location.

Because of the ties to history, the Cumberland Trail has a folksy feel. Hiking it makes you feel closer to history and the early settlers...the same feeling I get with my folk crafts.

Several blue grass bands donate part of the proceeds from their recordings to the CTC.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

meat wrote:

I here tell there's a lunar eclipse tonight sometime around 7:00 sumthin

Kinda hazy/cloudy here
      The moon is gorgeous here.
      Can't see it...right before it was supposed to start the clouds came, enjoy! There's also a comet in the wee hours of the morning in the constellation Hercules, between his legs, though you'd need some binoculars or a small telescope. Look towards the East for a greenish fuzzy blob of light.
    • Hiked on the CT in Obed Wild and Scenic area. Saw deer, river otter, fish, and two fox (?) in the distance. Went swimming. Had fun.
      Images
      • IMG_6536.JPG

285.18 kB, 800×600, viewed 38 times
      • IMG_6540.JPG

112.98 kB, 450×600, viewed 40 times
      • IMG_6541.JPG

105.82 kB, 450×600, viewed 40 times
      • IMG_6549.JPG

321.45 kB, 800×600, viewed 42 times
      • IMG_6605.JPG

260.25 kB, 800×600, viewed 41 times

Stephan Pastis
    • A few more
      Images
      • IMG_6595.JPG

243.52 kB, 800×600, viewed 42 times
      • IMG_6550.JPG

343.35 kB, 800×600, viewed 43 times
      • IMG_6597.JPG

168 kB, 800×600, viewed 41 times
      • IMG_6593.JPG

278.84 kB, 800×600, viewed 43 times
      • IMG_6559.JPG

123.84 kB, 800×600, viewed 47 times
      • IMG_6561.JPG

127.81 kB, 800×600, viewed 44 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Did an overnighter on the CT in Frozen Head SP.

Started hiking around 6:40 pm and hiked 3ish miles to Bird Mountain CS. It was mostly climbing and was the hardest part of the trip. Arrived as the sun set and had to set up my tarp in the dark. It was perfect weather last night, mid-high 50's(?) and breezy.

Hiked about 10 miles today and got most of the CT in this section. Was back at my car, showered, dressed, new Frozen Head SP sticker purchased, and on the road to home by 2pm.

photos coming soon

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Did an overnighter on the CT in Frozen Head SP.

Started hiking around 6:40 pm and hiked 3ish miles to Bird Mountain CS. It was mostly climbing and was the hardest part of the trip. Arrived as the sun set and had to set up my tarp in the dark. It was perfect weather last night, mid-high 50's(?) and breezy.

Hiked about 10 miles today and got most of the CT in this section. Was back at my car, showered, dressed, new Frozen Head SP sticker purchased, and on the road to home by 2pm.

photos coming soon
      That should have put you home in time to bake some bread, knits some mittens and make pickles.
      Edit to add....practice violin fiddle.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

photos coming soon
      That should have put you home in time to bake some bread, knits some mittens and make pickles.Edit to add....practice violin fiddle.
      you got it. :thumbsup:

Stephan Pastis
    • A few photos
      Images
      • IMG_6656.JPG

243.82 kB, 800×600, viewed 40 times
      • IMG_6650.JPG

238.24 kB, 800×600, viewed 45 times
      • IMG_6648.JPG

81.25 kB, 450×600, viewed 42 times
      • IMG_6651.JPG

132.88 kB, 800×600, viewed 41 times
      • IMG_6669.JPG

341.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 45 times
      • IMG_6644.JPG

352.96 kB, 800×600, viewed 44 times

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

photos coming soon
      That should have put you home in time to bake some bread, knits some mittens and make pickles.Edit to add....practice violin fiddle.
      you got it. :thumbsup:
      If someone is goofing off it just wouldn't sound right to say they're violining around......fiddling around sounds so much better.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • For today's CT hike, I met Cspan from TOS. We had a great time and with two vehicles, were able to hike the 7.7 mile, Daddy's Creek section from end to end...about 8 miles by the time we got to the car.

This section is about an hour from Knoxville, near the Justin P. Wilson Cumberland Trail state park. The area is rural TN and driving in was interesting with lots of unleashed dogs running around. I carefully passed a man out walking with 6 dogs.

The day was gorgeous and sunny with starting temps in the 50's. The trail was easy to traverse and is a great running trail with only a few patches of rock. It was very peaceful walking next to the river and the riverside campsite was inviting.
      Images
      • IMG_6711.JPG

335.91 kB, 800×600, viewed 38 times
      • IMG_6707.JPG

256.28 kB, 800×600, viewed 37 times
      • IMG_6713.JPG

366.77 kB, 800×600, viewed 39 times
      • IMG_6714.JPG

333.74 kB, 800×600, viewed 38 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Dan76 wrote:

cumberlandtrail.org/maps-and-guides/overall-map/

And yet another trail on the bucket list.

TJ you should attempt to be the first forum member to acquire the 50 and subsequently 100 mile CT patches.
      I'm thinking about it. Hunting season starts soon so that will delay things.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

cumberlandtrail.org/maps-and-guides/overall-map/

And yet another trail on the bucket list.

TJ you should attempt to be the first forum member to acquire the 50 and subsequently 100 mile CT patches.
      I'm thinking about it. Hunting season starts soon so that will delay things.
      The color orange is your friend. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The theme of today's Cumberland Trail hike is...yer doin' it wrong. :)

Forgot the most important part of my trail guide.

Misinterpreted the instructions (the ones I left at home) and ended up only hiking 0.6 miles on the CT.

Stepped barefoot in dog shyte.

Fell in the creek and got soaked.

It was a fun day! I added life to my years, not years to my life.

All of these photos show white blazes and there was also a CT sign but apparently, it's not considered the CT!
      Images
      • IMG_6726.JPG

227.54 kB, 800×600, viewed 33 times
      • IMG_6747.JPG

396.63 kB, 800×600, viewed 32 times
      • IMG_6764.JPG

132.03 kB, 450×600, viewed 33 times
      • IMG_6758.JPG

353.75 kB, 800×600, viewed 29 times
      • IMG_6765.JPG

125.68 kB, 450×600, viewed 31 times

Stephan Pastis
    • A big-ass spider and cute turtle. I pretended to be tipi Walter and had a nice conversation with the critters.
      Images
      • IMG_6761.JPG

314.93 kB, 800×600, viewed 31 times
      • IMG_6762.JPG

311.09 kB, 800×600, viewed 33 times

Stephan Pastis
    • I'm a bit confused. The CT has a lot of missing pieces and has pieces added to it that aren't going to be the official trail but is considered the CT at this time (Pot Point, for example).

The hike I did the other day required hiking an access trail up to a junction of the CT. The access trail is blazed as the CT for about 1 mile, then no blazes, then blue blazes for 1/2 mile(?).

The confusion is that the trail at the junction of the official CT and the access trail is unfinished heading Southeast, you can only turn northeast on the CT. (Supposedly, 0.7 miles to the Southeast, the Emory Tract section, is finished but, wanting to explore, i could only traverse about 0.1 mi before having to turn around and hike the other direction).

So can I count the miles on the access trail as CT miles?

Stephan Pastis
    • Hiked Soddy Creek Gorge (North) section with cspan recently. It's a great section with beautiful water falls, deep pools, high bluffs, and serene, pine forests. The bluffs are becoming popular with climbers but we didn't see any.

The first 1-2 miles was rough. Blowdowns, brush, and faded and minimal blazing made the trail hard to follow. I appreciated the extra set of eyes and perception/intuition.

Sadly, there was a lot of trash and debris on the first section along the creek. It looked like a graveyard for old tires.

This hike is a little over 12 miles and parts are strenuous, mainly because of navigation and rocks but overall, it wasn't terribly difficult. It can be hiked with two other sections to make the longest contiguous section of the CT, 30ish miles, which would be an awesome hike.

Stephan Pastis