Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

its all good

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• “Love isn’t all we need, love is all there is”- Morgan Matson

"So it probably sounds too good to be true, way oversimplified or like
      some cliche inspirational quote you see that doesn’t really mean
      anything nor does it make sense, but love is all there is. In fact, it
      would be safe to say that all “problems” or perceived problems in the
      world stem from the belief that we are not already perfect, that we are
      not love.

I think most people can agree upon the fact that we come into the
      world completely perfect. Babies are without any stains or imperfections
      on their being. I was a baby. You were a baby. So what happened? When
      did we transform from this perfect little being, a pure manifestation of
      love into less than perfect?

“Love is the only reality and not a mere sentiment. It is the
      ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation”- Rabindranath Tagore

At some point we all started to buy into a belief system. This belief
      system most likely was based on things your parents believed, what your
      culture taught you, what religion you were a part of or combination of
      these plus many other things. Any belief system is based in comparisons…
      “It is good to be this way, and bad to be that way”, “this is a sin,
      this is not a sin”, or “this is acceptable and this is unacceptable.”

We are forced to judge ourselves against the belief system. There are
      parts of us that fit into the belief system perfectly, and then there
      are parts that don’t fit. Maybe we think we’re too tall, too short, too
      big, too small, too smart, too stupid, too rich, or too poor.

It doesn’t really matter what it is but at a certain point something
      that we see in ourselves doesn’t measure up to the standards put forth
      by the belief system. The belief system or systems become our “rule
      book” by what we measure ourselves by.

We think, “Society says that this look is the right one, so that’s
      what I must strive to be,” or we may say “My religion says this behavior
      is acceptable, and this behavior is not. So since I don’t always act in
      an ‘acceptable’ way, I must be bad.”

Over time the belief systems become ingrained in our psyche. We
      measure how good, worthy, or bad and unworthy we are against it. We
      become so attached to the belief system that we think that is who we
      are. In actuality nothing has happened. We were still perfect, we were
      still love, but we started to believe we weren’t.

The belief of who we thought we were or were not became our sense of
      self, and the illusion was rampant. Everyone we met was suffering from
      it… everyone we met was operating from the standpoint that they weren’t
      good enough, or they were too good, they weren’t rich enough, or they
      were too rich, they weren’t smart enough, and so on and so forth.

No one was realizing that perfection had never really left us, that
      we only believed it had based on a fraudulent “rule book” that didn’t
      actually exist. Since our fragile little sense of self was resonating in
      the fear of not being good enough, instead of the love that we actually
      are, we started perceiving the world in the only way we could… which
      was the same way we perceived ourselves, not good enough.

Since we didn’t believe we were perfect, the world we saw mirrored
      back to us the belief. However, our egos found it way more comfortable
      to point at everyone else’s “flaws” and “problems” instead of looking at
      our own. So we judged, and we criticized. And we were sure we were
      right and they were wrong.

As more time passed we went farther and farther away from the love
      and perfection that we actually were and became more and more attached
      to the belief systems based in illusion. We started to believe money,
      power and more material possessions would make us happy.

Our political leaders convinced us we needed more power, more weapons
      and more defense. So there were wars, people were killed on both sides
      and with each ending war another one soon started.

Year after year, decade after decade, the belief that we weren’t
      already love and already perfect manifested at us not recognizing the
      love in everyone around us based on the belief system we felt was the
      “right” one, which soon turned in turn manifested at us judging each
      other, and fighting with each other on small and larger scales. So where
      does it all end? How do we escape from the tangled web we’ve woven over
      the years and come back to our own perfection and love?

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate
      cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

The only thing left to do is come back to what we’ve been this whole
      time, love and perfection. It starts with awareness and complete
      questioning of our own thoughts and behavior. When we become aware of
      the parts of ourselves that believe that we are not enough we can
      question them.

What we will find is that every belief that we have that we are not
      good enough or measuring up is based on a belief system that is not even
      real nor is it set in stone anywhere. It’s all an illusion. Even the
      thought that you have that says that you aren’t good should be loved.

Unraveling the illusion of imperfection will take time. You most likely
      won’t be able to just say, “Ok, now I believe I’m perfect” and that’s
      it, everything changes. These are beliefs that have been forced in your
      conscious and subconscious mind over and over and over. Just like we
      can’t fight for peace, we can’t hate ourselves into loving ourselves.

We can’t resonate with the perfection inside of us until we accept
      and love every single aspect of ourselves, if we are judging people, ok,
      love the thought of judgment. If we hate a group of people, love that
      thought so much that eventually it just goes away. Love is a form of
      surrender, when we surrender to the ego illusions they can’t keep
      fighting with us.

One by one, we will start to see that we are love, and since we only
      will recognize the love in ourselves, we will start to only see the love
      in others, EVEN if they are different than us. If each one of us starts
      resonating in our own perfection, we will subconsciously give other
      people we meet the permission to resonate in their own love. This is how
      the world will change."

Love: How to Return Back to What We Already are

Nikki Sapp
      its all good
    • That's awesome, HB. However, I disagree with the premise that we must love and accept ourselves before we can love and accept others.

Several years ago, I was questioning my beliefs and was thinking about the basis of morality. Much of what we believe about morality comes from religious teaching. I wondered if we didn't have religion, how would we know right from wrong? I came across some research by Frans De Waal, a primatologist who believes that primates have an "innate capacity for empathy". I like this quote, "The possibility that empathy resides in parts of the brain so ancient that we share them with rats should give pause to anyone comparing politicians with those poor, underestimated creatures..."
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• A.T.Lt wrote:

Its all good...
      I don't need the fear of god or eternal damnation to be a good person! I just like to think every one is deep down inside good !

I'd like to think that too but history proves that's wrong. There are two things that keep a society from becoming "Lord of the Flies", fear of man and/or fear of God. Fear of concequences is the only thing that keeps us in check. Take those two things away and look for increased crime...look how this nation has changed over the past 20 years, as our "justice" system has become more focused on providing a better life style for inmates and we're in the process of removing every aspect of God from our society crime has increase and will continue to increase. "Because of the increase in violence the love of most will grow cold".
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Its all good...
      I don't need the fear of god or eternal damnation to be a good person! I just like to think every one is deep down inside good !

I'd like to think that too but history proves that's wrong. There are two things that keep a society from becoming "Lord of the Flies", fear of man and/or fear of God. Fear of concequences is the only thing that keeps us in check. Take those two things away and look for increased crime...look how this nation has changed over the past 20 years, as our "justice" system has become more focused on providing a better life style for inmates and we're in the process of removing every aspect of God from our society crime has increase and will continue to increase. "Because of the increase in violence the love of most will grow cold".

When I read HB's post about love, I understand that if people showed true love toward one another, there would be no need for a justice system. We have a justice system because people have belief systems and ways of life that are the antithesis to love. People believe so strongly in the rightness of their beliefs that they start wars and murder people.

The Lord of the Flies is a work of fiction. I prefer to believe in research-based evidence that indicates we have an inborn sense of right and wrong.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Its all good...

When I read HB's post about love, I understand that if people showed true love toward one another, there would be no need for a justice system. We have a justice system because people have belief systems and ways of life that are the antithesis to love. People believe so strongly in the rightness of their beliefs that they start wars and murder people.

The Lord of the Flies is a work of fiction. I prefer to believe in research-based evidence that indicates we have an inborn sense of right and wrong.

We do have an inborn sense of right and wrong. Right is often more work and many people are lazy which overrules ethics.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Bosnia, Ukraine, Syria, Yemen, Egypt, Libya, etc.

War hasn't changed much in the last 100 years.

Regular civilized life has gone down hill a bit. This cycles up and down.

our major cities are much much safer than when I was a kid.nyc in the 70s was not a fun city all the time.
      the difference today is we are more exposed to instant news, so the perception is things are worse now.
      love conquers fear.
      its all good
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Its all good...

Thats my point, we have an inborn sense of right or wrong. Organized religions are adept at fear mongering and mind control! :) To the point that it comes down to who's religion is right and who's is wrong.. I like to live life and accept everyones beliefs, who's to say who is right or wrong? Not me.. not anyone..This is why i don't discuss politics or religion...Because even my statement here is bound to get some of you all fired up and angry.... Hmmm!!!

Its all good! :) Now who's hiking next weekend??
      RIAP
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Bosnia, Ukraine, Syria, Yemen, Egypt, Libya, etc.

our major cities are much much safer than when I was a kid.nyc in the 70s was not a fun city all the time.
      the difference today is we are more exposed to instant news, so the perception is things are worse now.
      love conquers fear.

Certain parts of these major cities are safer then they were before. NYC as a whole is safer. The violence had drifted to smaller cities that were very safe twenty years ago. While the murder rate had gone down the random assaults have gone up. Statistics are weird.

In my town as long as you avoid certain parts of town there is essentially no violence.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

love conquers fear.

Certain parts of these major cities are safer then they were before. NYC as a whole is safer. The violence had drifted to smaller cities that were very safe twenty years ago. While the murder rate had gone down the random assaults have gone up. Statistics are weird.

In my town as long as you avoid certain parts of town there is essentially no violence.

I miss sometimes the old Times Square....Its like Disney World now, a tourist mecca! But growing up in NY and working there for 20 years I have seen a complete turn around in the mid town/times square part of NY and certain parts of the outer boros... There are still those neighborhoods that are still violent and have lots of crime....An example, a certain precinct I was assigned to in the Bronx had 102 homicides in 1990..and in 2013 ended the year with only 9...Dont let that fool you though, its still one of the most dangerous square miles in the city.
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Its all good...

Thats my point, we have an inborn sense of right or wrong. Organized religions are adept at fear mongering and mind control! :) To the point that it comes down to who's religion is right and who's is wrong.. I like to live life and accept everyones beliefs, who's to say who is right or wrong? Not me.. not anyone..This is why i don't discuss politics or religion...Because even my statement here is bound to get some of you all fired up and angry.... Hmmm!!!

Its all good! :) Now who's hiking next weekend??

That's how I try to live my life also. :)
    • One of the things that I love about hiking and hikers is that it strips us down to our fundamentals (figuratively speaking), and we see the real person underneath. We aren't hidden behind the expensive make-up, shiny hair, our professions, or our beliefs. We're just the same; dirty, smelly, and lovin' life. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

One of the things that I love about hiking and hikers is that it strips us down to our fundamentals (figuratively speaking), and we see the real person underneath. We aren't hidden behind the expensive make-up, shiny hair, our professions, or our beliefs. We're just the same; dirty, smelly, and lovin' life. :)

Some are smellier then others
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

One of the things that I love about hiking and hikers is that it strips us down to our fundamentals (figuratively speaking), and we see the real person underneath. We aren't hidden behind the expensive make-up, shiny hair, our professions, or our beliefs. We're just the same; dirty, smelly, and lovin' life. :)

Speak for yourself!!!! I don't smell!!!
      RIAP
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Where is the party about hiding the body of those that won't listen?

i must have missed that aprt.
      do you know the story of st francis?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_of_Assisi

biography.com/people/st-franci…21152679#death-and-legacy

This?

Lighten Up Francis:
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Found it very interesting the named places in relation to a sunny side (yang) or shady side (yin) of a hill and valley system...that's a great piece of info to a traveler, and not something easily picked up on unless your from there, and immersed in that culture. Neato!
    • OzJacko wrote:

I'm afraid I found it cute but it didn't do anything for me.
      Sad to say I am stuck with my simplistic beliefs.
      I let Richard Dawkins answer my theological questions.

the video takes some libral interpretations of quantum mechanics, as well as some faulty logic.
      its just a flawed,yet compelling argument.
      those who believe dont need scientific proof. those who dont are going to hell anyway. :)
      its all good