Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Basketball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• We got that here...the Rangers Baseball stadium was "20" years old. So they are getting a new one, indoor (actually a great idea when it is 101 here with a "feels like" temp of 111). Don't even ask about Jerry World (AT&T Stadium for the Cowboys) and then "The Ford", which is the Cowboys training place...and a "Destination" now also. One of the local sports casters was pointing out how much the school districts REALLY gave to Jerry for "we can use it for High School Football". It was a riot (and sad because it is true).
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• rhjanes wrote:

We got that here...the Rangers Baseball stadium was "20" years old. So they are getting a new one, indoor (actually a great idea when it is 101 here with a "fells like" temp of 111). Don't even ask about Jerry World (AT&T Stadium for the Cowboys) and then "The Ford", which is the Cowboys training place...and a "Destination" now also. One of the local sports casters was pointing out how much the school districts REALLY gave to Jerry for "we can use it for High School Football". It was a riot (and sad because it is true).
      Once riding the shuttle bus from parking to the Rangers stadium the driver was blaming W. for not putting a roof on the last one.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

What I find interesting is that high school basketball (and even Jr High) have 3 referees, but college baseball has only 2 umpires.
      i haven't been to a high school or college game since, well, i was a student -- but i bet that solitary base umpire works his butt off during a game.

the world series uses, i think, seven umpires. now that's one strong union! :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

What I find interesting is that high school basketball (and even Jr High) have 3 referees, but college baseball has only 2 umpires.
      i haven't been to a high school or college game since, well, i was a student -- but i bet that solitary base umpire works his butt off during a game.
      the world series uses, i think, seven umpires. now that's one strong union! :)
      Ah, just cardio. Still safer and eaiser than squatting behind the plate and taking foul balls off your body. :D
    • My son and a bunch of his Duke grad school classmates banded together to apply for student tickets. They knew that only a few would be successful, so they set up a 'ticket draft'. Everyone would get an equal quantity of tickets, but the people with successful applications would get first dibs in each round of the draft. My boy was one of the successful applicants, so he's going to the Duke - Indiana game this evening. He also picked the Duke - UNC game (imagine that).

Next year, he said he can score me pre-season tickets, so I'll have an opportunity to watch a game in the Cameron Indoor Stadium. Hard to believe this little bugger is an adult now...

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

He also picked the Duke - UNC game (imagine that).
      When my oldest son was a student at UNC, I got a call one day. "Hey Dad, do you have any idea what's going on up here that traffic is stupid? There are friggin' people everywhere!"

"Well, where at, kiddo? Where are you trying to go?"

**Kid rattles off name of place**

"Isn't that near the Dean Dome?"

"What's the Dean Dome?"

"The Dean Smith Center. It's where your school plays basketball."

"Oh, yeah it's right near there."

"Uhh, Josh, your school is playing Duke in basketball today."

"Oh, okay. F**k Duke."

He had NO clue that there was a game, much less with their biggest rival, but at LEAST knew he was supposed to hate Duke. I don't think I need to tell you the lad's not a sports fan.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Well, the boy enjoyed his first game in Cameron but was kinda surprised how tight the seats were arranged. He said it was a major effort to get his phone out of his pocket for pictures: stand up, turn sideways, keep elbows tucked, remove phone, sit down.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Well, the boy enjoyed his first game in Cameron but was kinda surprised how tight the seats were arranged. He said it was a major effort to get his phone out of his pocket for pictures: stand up, turn sideways, keep elbows tucked, remove phone, sit down.
      Well, the boy enjoyed his first game in Cameron but was kinda surprised how tight the seats were arranged. He said it was a major effort to get his phone out of his pocket for pictures: stand up, turn sideways, keep elbows tucked, remove phone, sit down.
      Tell him it wasn't originally designed for photo ops and selfies. Instead getting in as many fans as possible to watch the game. :)

Gee, and I thought the Big Hole smooshed people in so that they could get 110k+ in.

(the "Big House" in Ann Arbor for those unfamiliar)
    • i have season tickets for kennesaw state basketball (currently ranked by sagarin as #332 out of 353 D1 teams). arena capacity 4,600; average attendance around 600 and will swell to 1,000 once conference play starts. ya got all the room ya want...

on saturday the football team has a home game for round 2 of the FCS playoffs. scheduled for the exact same time as the basketball game. i may have the arena to myself. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Grinder wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

He also picked the Duke - UNC game (imagine that).
      When my oldest son was a student at UNC, I got a call one day. "Hey Dad, do you have any idea what's going on up here that traffic is stupid? There are friggin' people everywhere!"
      "Well, where at, kiddo? Where are you trying to go?"

**Kid rattles off name of place**

"Isn't that near the Dean Dome?"

"What's the Dean Dome?"

"The Dean Smith Center. It's where your school plays basketball."

"Oh, yeah it's right near there."

"Uhh, Josh, your school is playing Duke in basketball today."

"Oh, okay. F**k Duke."

He had NO clue that there was a game, much less with their biggest rival, but at LEAST knew he was supposed to hate Duke. I don't think I need to tell you the lad's not a sports fan.
      my step daughter is a junior at a UCONN satellite campus, I asked her what the mood on campus was after the girls got beat in the final 4? She had no idea, hadn’t heard anything about it..............WTF over
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Well, the boy enjoyed his first game in Cameron but was kinda surprised how tight the seats were arranged. He said it was a major effort to get his phone out of his pocket for pictures: stand up, turn sideways, keep elbows tucked, remove phone, sit down. Tell him it wasn't originally designed for photo ops and selfies. Instead getting in as many fans as possible to watch the game. :)
      Yes and no. Originally it was the biggest arena in the southeast, but now it's one of the smallest. Last I checked, capacity was 9,314, but that was before recent tweaks to the Crow's Nest (where the announcers sit). IIRC there used to be a ladder up to it from the last row of seats the upper level, but I've forgotten exactly how it is accessed after the most recent renovations. I think a few seats were lost in that process. The student section had (and probably still has) no particular seats - it's bleachers, so it can be a squeeze, thus the difficulty in getting out phone. Not sure what to say if the squeeze on your kid was in the upper level seats, which are discrete. Smaller people in 1930s?

Oh, here's a great quote from
      heraldsun.com/sports/article217272105.html

"... Cameron has lost about 30 seats due to the project. But the arena’s capacity remains at 9,314."

Apparently, they're counting on slimmer fans in the student section!

So yeah, original design was big. But now it's really quite small, and keeping it at a small capacity is definitely not intended to get in as many people as possible. There's a lot of sentiment against expansion; fans and alums like it full and loud. I suspect it makes for better TV that way too.
    • ok, i'm watching ga state vs louisiana at lafayette rajun cajuns game and the cajuns court is soo ugly -- it really needs to be refinished. so i google to find out why they let the court get in the condition it's in...and i found the answer.

now i understand...but before i saw the video all i saw was the apparent imperfections in the courts finish and not the big picture.

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

ok, i'm watching ga state vs louisiana at lafayette rajun cajuns game and the cajuns court is soo ugly -- it really needs to be refinished. so i google to find out why they let the court get in the condition it's in...and i found the answer.

now i understand...but before i saw the video all i saw was the apparent imperfections in the courts finish and not the big picture.

I wonder if they also feel it also gives them a home court advantage?
    • huge news about zion williamson of duke on PTI (pardon the interruption on ESPN).

this segment (which opened the show) lasts about 3 minutes and is followed by a discussion of the michigan state - duke game which is a shame it wasn't the national championship game next monday.

2,000 miler
    • Michigan State had 6 appearances in 2019 One Shining Moment!

Cash arriving at the stadium
      Matty's 180 bucket
      Tom & the guys celebrating/sort of dancing in the lockerroom
      Kenny's trey to beat the hated coach
      Cash, Matty & Aaron watching a shot from TT and hoping forlornly for a rebound
      Cash with his arm around Matty who had his head down and hair mussed at the end of the road for the Spartans

Very proud of my Spartans, they had a GREAT year, just fell short of fantastic.

max.patch wrote:

the game isn't over til they play the song...

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sports illustrated says michigan state is #1 in the upcoming 2019-2020 season.
      That should make a few people around here happy.
      meanwhile, kennesaw state (the school i have season tickets to) wrapped up a 6-26 season and fired the coach. final ncaa rankings had em ranked #343 out of 353 D1 basketball teams. on the bright side, ticket prices remain low and there is always room to spread out. reminds me of the braves when i first moved to atlanta. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

meanwhile, kennesaw state (the school i have season tickets to) wrapped up a 6-26 season and fired the coach. final ncaa rankings had em ranked #343 out of 353 D1 basketball teams. on the bright side, ticket prices remain low and there is always room to spread out. reminds me of the braves when i first moved to atlanta. :)
      Except probably no Ted and Jane sightings. :D
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

6 days on the job and our new coach is mentioned today during the baskeball corruption trial...

KSU is to make a statement tomorrow. if i was the athletic director i'd give him the opportunity to resign before i suspended him. and if proven he'd be history. that ain't gonna happen, though.

"The NCAA’s latest scandal, which revolves around paying prospects and has touched many players currently in the NBA, reached the Boston Celtics on Thursday: Rookie Robert Williams reportedly received $11,000 in cash from former Texas A&M coach Amir Abdur-Rahim.

The cash, according to CBS Sports’ Matt Norlander, was stuffed into a pair of shoes that were purchased at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas."
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The main poll that really matters is the one that comes out day after the National Championship game. The last time we were ranked number 1 after that was April 4, 2000. I was there for that game and it was magnificent!

Not sure how many times since then that we've been ranked preseason #1 but I definitely know we were in 2005 because my sis got married in Vegas in October 2005 so I went to one of the sports books and put down a 20 spot. I would have gotten more enjoyment if I had just watched that bill being flushed down the crapper or possibly used it as tinder to light a fire that we then roasted marshmallows for somemores since they lost in the first round, the freaking first round, to freaking George Mason.

You just never know. weird (as Rachel Maddow says word that rhymes with spit) can happen to derail a very good team. Our team will not be GREAT; very good yes, but not GREAT. We have arguably the best PG, Cassius Winston. Hopefully Josh Langford can come back from his foot injury, whatever it was, and have a GREAT year. Aaron Henry looks like he could be very, very good. Xavier Tillman also is becoming a very very good big man. But Matt McQuaid and Kenny Goins are graduating and Nick Ward has declared and said he is not coming back. Question will be who can take over the other big man position. We have one very good recruit coming in, a 4*, Rocket Watts, who is a combo guard. Two others, a SF and a PF, one is a 3* and the other a 4*; haven't gotten to know which is which yet. Part of the weird stuff is the draw you get in The Dance and another very big factor are injuries and we had much more than our share this year. Many say "if not for the injuries, we would have been Natl Champs this year" but you never know so I'm not saying that but we definitely would have had a better chance if Josh had been healthy for The Dance and if Nick and Kyle had been at full strength.

Actually, I kind of think we were preseason #1 in 2015 as well and again we crapped out in the first round against Middle Tennessee State so NO, I don't want to be preseason #1. Spartans do better when we are underdogs.

As far as the weekly polls go, just as long as we're ahead of "the other team" (the one my 3 siblings went to), I'll be happy. ;)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

As the resident Spartan, I won't complain. It certainly helps that their superstar skipped the draft. But MSU has traditionally "underachieved" early in the season. Instead they tend to peak at tournament time. They don't load up their early schedule with soft opponents to get an impessove W-L record, which benefits them in the long run.