Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Basketball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

UCONN woman graduated 3 bench players. 3 All American freshman have replaced them
      Some rebuild, and some just reload. And then UCONN women are in a whole another world. :rolleyes:
      There are husky women that never lost a college game in their careers. And if somebody says women's college is no good......... they never saw UCONN dismantle the next best
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

UCONN woman graduated 3 bench players. 3 All American freshman have replaced them
      Some rebuild, and some just reload. And then UCONN women are in a whole another world. :rolleyes:
      There are husky women that never lost a college game in their careers. And if somebody says women's college is no good......... they never saw UCONN dismantle the next best
      Be interesting to see how they would fare against some Men's NAIA and NCAA Division 3 teams. The men would be more "athletic", but women's basketball is so much more fundamental.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Heard a statistic today...the average black is graduating high school and going off to college with an eighth grade education.
      not surprised that chief and scarey bear have joined forces.
      for giggles and grins i took drybones quote and ran it thru google...the 3rd hit is from tavis smiley -- a black author and talk show host -- from the liberal PBS website -- just to see what i would see:

" On average, African American twelfth-grade students read at the same level as white
      eighth-grade students"

seems to me there is some basis in what drybones has passed along.

you could probably replace the phrase "average black" with "students from low income families" and reach the same conclusion.

i have no interest in joining y'alls debate. besides -- what does any of this have to do with basketball -- the greatest sport ever invented?
      can we debate the merits of the greatest sport ever invented? I disagree
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • max.patch wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

I wonder how many people will opt out of Monday night football tonight, preferring the World Series.
      Go Astro’s!
      check that calendar again, meat.
      not an issue. TV isn't gonna let MLB schedule a game against MNF -- it's all about the $. football is king in this country (not in my house).
      Well that cinches it, I’ve been abducted by alien’s...and I’m little sore too. :D
    • Trillium wrote:

Midnight Madness at Michigan State is next Friday at 8:30pm. I'll be there with bells on!!!
      I didn't make it to Midnight Madness. The day after I posted the above, my daughter called and asked me to come to dogsit Dakota while her husband went to Colorado to shoot a wedding and she was working and had a ton of afterwork appointments. So, while Miles and the gang were entertaining a full house, I was taking care of the sweetest most precious Beagle ever.

Dakota has been ailing for awhile but during the past month and a half, she has been going downhill on a steep slope. I returned home last Sunday because I was going on a trip to Mackinac Island on Monday. On Wednesday while I was learning geocaching on the Island, I received a call and text telling me to call as soon as I received them. I knew what this meant and had tears starting to form in the corners of my eyes. When I reached my daughter, she said that Dakota had taken a turn for the worst, I will spare the details, so they were carrying her for a last time in the park (Dakota could no longer walk or even stand).

Rest in peace sweet precious Lady
    • Trillium wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Midnight Madness at Michigan State is next Friday at 8:30pm. I'll be there with bells on!!!
      I didn't make it to Midnight Madness. The day after I posted the above, my daughter called and asked me to come to dogsit Dakota while her husband went to Colorado to shoot a wedding and she was working and had a ton of afterwork appointments. So, while Miles and the gang were entertaining a full house, I was taking care of the sweetest most precious Beagle ever.
      Dakota has been ailing for awhile but during the past month and a half, she has been going downhill on a steep slope. I returned home last Sunday because I was going on a trip to Mackinac Island on Monday. On Wednesday while I was learning geocaching on the Island, I received a call and text telling me to call as soon as I received them. I knew what this meant and had tears starting to form in the corners of my eyes. When I reached my daughter, she said that Dakota had taken a turn for the worst, I will spare the details, so they were carrying her for a last time in the park (Dakota could no longer walk or even stand).

Rest in peace sweet precious Lady
      So sorry to hear that, never easy, its a member of the family. So sad, our pup had no energy she was completely whipped out and was just splayed out, I hear ya Tillium.
    • My son got good news in September - an early decision acceptance to Duke for grad school. Now we have the North Carolina Trifecta in our house:

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Family/Brettas-UD-Graduation/i-qTGpCFb/0/14ab37c3/M/20171030_170105-M.jpg]

Should be fun come next March.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

UCONN women opened with a 25 point thumping of #10 Stanford.......The new streak is 1-0
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Jake Ace wrote:

“Thoughts on trail clinic“ thread has the potential to be a goodn’
      Seems a bit odd to me, like I think I got monkey butt, do you concur? or let’s play doctor, your tent or mine!
      Hope his malpractice insurance is payed up.
      Just got to ask how you got from basketball to that? ?(
      I know we thread drift all the time, but that is more like thread teleporting. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Seems a bit odd to me, like I think I got monkey butt, do you concur? or let’s play doctor, your tent or mine!
      Just got to ask how you got from basketball to that? ?( I know we thread drift all the time, but that is more like thread teleporting. :)
      Whoops! I’ve no idea... :D this is not my beautiful wife, this not my beautiful house.
    • Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Just got to ask how you got from basketball to that? ?( I know we thread drift all the time, but that is more like thread teleporting. :)
      Ace to Scottie...beam me up!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • they just finished a $193 million renovation of philips arena where the atlanta hawks play.

the taxpayers bent over and took in the rear to the tune of $143 million. the hawks were nice enough to kick in $50 million.

the arena will now be called state farm arena as the insurance company paid $200 million for the naming rights.

wanna guess who gets the $200 million?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

they just finished a $193 million renovation of philips arena where the atlanta hawks play.

the taxpayers bent over and took in the rear to the tune of $143 million. the hawks were nice enough to kick in $50 million.

the arena will now be called state farm arena as the insurance company paid $200 million for the naming rights.

I think all of the Atlanta teams have been taking lessons from the Braves organization on how to get the local tax payers to pay for your stadium/arena. When I took my son to game the last season at Ted Turner Field he was like "what is wrong with place that they need to build a new one?". And while I was at that game a fan pointed out how they were building a new football stadium too.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

they just finished a $193 million renovation of philips arena where the atlanta hawks play.

I think all of the Atlanta teams have been taking lessons from the Braves organization on how to get the local tax payers to pay for your stadium/arena. When I took my son to game the last season at Ted Turner Field he was like "what is wrong with place that they need to build a new one?". And while I was at that game a fan pointed out how they were building a new football stadium too.
      there wasn't anything wrong with the 25 year old georgia dome except that the luxury suites were too high up and the current trend is to have them closer to the action. so the taxpayers gave arthur blank (net worth over $4 billion) $750 million so the falcons could have a new place to play.

the link you posted a couple years ago about how the braves took advantage of the people of pearl, mississippi was sickening.
      2,000 miler