Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Basketball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Basketball Thread

CoachLou wrote:

Go Uconn

I was watching the UConn ladies during the MSU halftime and they were killing Duke. Yeah!

Yeah for several reasons. Because first and foremost, blank Duke. Second, sorta the same reason I hate Bama. Well maybe I really don't hate Bama but their coach can go jump in a lake . . . . and take the Duke women's coach with him.
    • Basketball Thread

Trillium wrote:

Osprey may be a great pack (that's what I use) but the North Florida Ospreys are seriously overmatched by the Spartans. MSU was up by 31 pts at the half. 49.gif

but north florida won the second half by a point so doesn't that mean the game is officially a tie? :)

north florida is in the same conference as kennesaw state, which is why i'm hoping we can keep it within 30 when we play indiana.
      2,000 miler
    • Basketball Thread

The girls can play, they are fun to watch. Geno, gets them to play 110% always. Plus the tradition....you don't go there unless you can play. The mens team, well they can be just okay or awesome. Calhoun retiring is good and bad, but the kid coaching now is an Alum of really good teams, so he brings tradition. Good luck to them also.

I do have a little bad taste about Uconn though, and it has to do with my son. he liked the main campus, he is a pretty good enough ice hockey player that he could have made a stab at the team, but, even with 1200 SATs, they would only take him at a satelite campus, almost 40 miles from the main campus, and the ice rink. Oh sure, he could transfer in his sophmore year, but my son needed focus.....and he didn't want to go to Torrington. Besides, he is only 5'8"and don't play hoop. :pinch:
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Basketball Thread

we go to the georgia high school championships every year so i've seen maya moore play on several occasions.

what a resume....3 time high school champion, 2 time college national champion, 2 time wnba champion, and professional championships in the euroleage and the china league. plus too many individual awards to even attempt to remember without looking them.

and she's all of 24 years old....
      2,000 miler
    • Basketball Thread

We take care of geriatric patients in our home and we were honored to have Dorothy Bunn. I'll have to look her up, but she holds/held the College Women's Basketball record of 100 points in a game. The coach took her out after 100 points so they wouldn't demoralize the other team.
    • We lost another good one in Flip Saunders. After playing with Kevin McHale and Mychal Thompson at U of Minnesota, he worked his way up through the CBA to be a solid coach and GM. He was working on rebuilding the Timberwolves when cancer took him.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

Royals-5
      Mets-3

KC-3 games in the series, Mets-1...ugh!
      one of the teams must have run the four corners offense. :)
      Is that baseball lingo for they effed uped? I didn't watch the whole game, was handing out the candy, but I kept hearing the wife after about the 7 inning yelling crap....CRAP!
      nah, i was just trying to be funny. you posted the score in the basketball thread...so i said one of the teams must have run the four corners which is a type of stall made famous by dean smith of north carolina.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

Royals-5
      Mets-3

Is that baseball lingo for they effed uped? I didn't watch the whole game, was handing out the candy, but I kept hearing the wife after about the 7 inning yelling crap....CRAP!
      nah, i was just trying to be funny. you posted the score in the basketball thread...so i said one of the teams must have run the four corners which is a type of stall made famous by dean smith of north carolina.
      Yep, thank goodness for the implementation of the shot clock.

I'm looking forward to seeing what impact the reduction from 35 to 30 seconds will have on the game.

Go GREEN!
    • max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

Royals-5
      Mets-3

aye, yeah, couldn't find the baseball thread I guess.
    • Trillium wrote:

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

Royals-5
      Mets-3

Yep, thank goodness for the implementation of the shot clock.
      I'm looking forward to seeing what impact the reduction from 35 to 30 seconds will have on the game.

Go GREEN!
      while i prefer fast break basketball, i don't like the rule change. there is a place for teams that want to play at a deliberate pace - such as wisconsin - and this will take something away from what they want to do.

personally, i've got feb 8 circled on my calendar. i want to see what the duke students come up with when louisville comes to town. strippers. whores. they've got a lot of material to work with and 3 whole months to figure this out.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Yep, thank goodness for the implementation of the shot clock.I'm looking forward to seeing what impact the reduction from 35 to 30 seconds will have on the game.

Go GREEN!
      while i prefer fast break basketball, i don't like the rule change. there is a place for teams that want to play at a deliberate pace - such as wisconsin - and this will take something away from what they want to do.
      personally, i've got feb 8 circled on my calendar. i want to see what the duke students come up with when louisville comes to town. strippers. whores. they've got a lot of material to work with and 3 whole months to figure this out.

Astro wrote:

I don't care what the students do as long as Duke wins.
      Can they both lose?

I don't care for either of the coaches.
    • max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

Royals-5
      Mets-3

I remember watching the game where Duke lead UNC 7-0 at the half, lol.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Astro wrote:

I can understand why no one would like Pitino, but could anyone have against Coach K?
      smarmy. hypocrite (has cheated but the NCAA protects favored programs; I'm talking about that kid from Alaska who had benefits from a booster prior to coming to Duke). total dick to William Avery when he was deciding to declare after soph season. can't stand that he has been canonized. defense is suspect. took leave of absence the year Duke was going to have a losing season so it wouldn't go against his record. etc. etc.
    • Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

I can understand why no one would like Pitino, but could anyone have against Coach K?
      smarmy. hypocrite (has cheated but the NCAA protects favored programs; I'm talking about that kid from Alaska who had benefits from a booster prior to coming to Duke). total dick to William Avery when he was deciding to declare after soph season. can't stand that he has been canonized. defense is suspect. took leave of absence the year Duke was going to have a losing season so it wouldn't go against his record. etc. etc.
      Not for sure about all of the details in some of the things you mention so I will let most of them be. But I do know Avery was not ready for the NBA and would definitely have benefited from more time in college (never mind a degree). When he needed back surgery I believe you may have cause and effect switched. Personally believe the reason for the poor season was due to the extreme pain he was in, and things just got worse when he actually left for the surgery he obviously needed.

Always admired him for taking the brilliance of his mentor the "best basketball coach" of my time (Bobby Knight) but eliminating the lack of self control (which eventually did Knight in). Unfortunately John Wooden was before my time.
    • i haven't liked coach k since 1990 when he did not like an article the school newspaper wrote about his team. he called the student reporters in and gave them a 10 minute profanity laced yelling and screaming outburst. one of the students had a tape recorder hidden in a bag and recorded the meeting. one thing to do that to journalists earning a paycheck, totally unacceptable to do that to students.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

i haven't liked coach k since 1990 when he did not like an article the school newspaper wrote about his team. he called the student reporters in and gave them a 10 minute profanity laced yelling and screaming outburst. one of the students had a tape recorder hidden in a bag and recorded the meeting. one thing to do that to journalists earning a paycheck, totally unacceptable to do that to students.
      Unfortunately there may be more Bobby Knight in him than I thought. :(

And things change with time too. The WI team actually reminded me more of the old Duke teams (TSAs - True Student Athletes) than the Duke team did this past year. Perhaps it is time for me to just write off college basketball along with the NBA, NFL, and college football and just stick with baseball.
    • Did once hit a half court shot in college in a challenge with our clubs athletic director for the right to go up and receive the All Sports trophy in chapel during the intramural program. Still have the trophy at my house (over 30 years later).

Other side benefit was a picture of me receiving it in the booklet they produced for the Men's intramural program the next year (every male student was given one).

As I tell my children, it is better to be has been than a never was. ;)
    • Astro wrote:

In college I once won a free meal at Wendy's. Needless to say half off tuition would have been worth a lot more. But then again it was just for a free throw instead of a half court shot.
      i have season tickets to kennesaw state basketball. every home game they give away a $10 mcdonalds gift card to the student that can make a free throw at one of the timeouts. if they miss the $10 gets carried over to the next game. last year the student missed every week until the last game. (and he banked it in...) he walked away with $150 in mcdonalds gift cards.

so far this year the students are 0 for 5.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

In college I once won a free meal at Wendy's. Needless to say half off tuition would have been worth a lot more. But then again it was just for a free throw instead of a half court shot.
      i have season tickets to kennesaw state basketball. every home game they give away a $10 mcdonalds gift card to the student that can make a free throw at one of the timeouts. if they miss the $10 gets carried over to the next game. last year the student missed every week until the last game. (and he banked it in...) he walked away with $150 in mcdonalds gift cards.
      so far this year the students are 0 for 5.
      More proof we just are not teaching the fundamentals like we should.

Or is that they just can not handle the pressure? :rolleyes: