Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Basketball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

I guess these things come in threes.

So far this week their has been a brawl in a mens basketball game that started in the handshake line and everyone got involved (the band kept playing until there song was finished :) ) and a brawl that started during a college womens basketball game.

Here's last nights news. The report says that this years basketball games between Spalding (one of the teams involved) and Griffin were played without spectators. What they didn't say is that it was becasue a 17 year old shot and killed a 14 year old after their football game.

Sign of the times?

Kicking both these teams out of the tourney was the right thing to do.

On a related note, I can't stand all the chirping that goes on from players and coaches directed to the refs when they make a call that they don't like.

I have to admit the worst fans I remember were during a time when snow caved in one of the gyms we had for youth basketball. So they started scheduling games at the other gyms earlier in the morning starting at 7am on Saturday morning. The parents were not happy to get up that early and some were ridiculous on how they they treated the refs. I still remember one yelling you must have missed that call due to the glare from the other refs bald head. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

I've always wondered why refs insert themselves to try and stop altercations. I think it would be better to stand back and take notes. If both benches clear, you eject everyone, both teams forfeit.
      Because it is best to quickly address conflict and move forward. Your scenario could have teams fofeiting multiple games and a lot of lost revenue.

As Barney Fife said, you need to nip it in the bud. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I've always wondered why refs insert themselves to try and stop altercations. I think it would be better to stand back and take notes. If both benches clear, you eject everyone, both teams forfeit.
      Because it is best to quickly address conflict and move forward. Your scenario could have teams fofeiting multiple games and a lot of lost revenue.
      Seems to me that if teams forfeited multiple games and the program lost money -- that would eventually cause the negative behavior to change.
      2,000 miler