Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinhoti Trail Cheaha to Pine Glen

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pinhoti Trail Cheaha to Pine Glen

I spent about six days on the Pinhoti Trail: 2 days between North Dugger Mountain Shelter and Maxwell gap, and 4 days between Cheaha State Park and the Pine Glen Recreation Area (campground). I wore North Face Ultra Fastpack shoes. The shoes gave me good traction on the narrow foot path winding along the side of hills / mountains. They do not breathe as well as my Montrail shoes did. The North Face shoes have a Vibram Lug sole under a layer of softer shock absorbing material. They seem easier on the soles of my feet than Merrell Moab Ventilators. I am hoping they are more durable than my Montrail shoes. I will know after 300 miles (about 250 to go).

I hiked with the trail angel who helped me in PA, NY, and CT. Our last day was the longest. We yellow blazed at least 7 of the 39 miles between Cheaha State Park and the Pine Glen Recreation Area. I stopped at an overlook to make ramen and hot chocolate.

This is the first time I was unable to rock hop across water where there was no bridge. I forded two small creeks. For the first one, I took off my shoes and socks and walked across barefoot. For the second, I removed socks and insoles, and crossed with shoes on. After crossing, I drained the shoes, and walked 2.5 miles with one pair of socks but no insoles in the shoes. The skin on my toes absorbed water and I lost part of a callous under the big toe, but I did not get blisters.

I cowboy camped beside a fire ring on Saturday, another first for me. I awoke to the sound of what I thought might be light rain, so I pulled my silnylon tarp over my sleeping bag.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • I saw a small lizard dart across my path and disappear behind a tree. I saw a squirrel run straight down the fall line across my path. It was sure in a hurry. Later I saw a squirrel run straight through a small creek. Maybe it was the same one.

I saw some nice waterfalls, although rather small. The most interesting vegetation to me is the long leaf pine. The pinecones are huge.

I recognized the hairy vine of poison ivy clinging to some firewood, and stopped my fellow hiker from burning it.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I think I stayed at the North Dugger Mountain, Oakey Mountain, and Lower Shoal shelters. I did not walk over to the Blue Mountain shelter.

All the shelters are in really nice shape. Heck, nobody uses them. Blue Mountain is probably the oldest of the shelters. Really neat design with an upper loft. Very warm up there when it's cold.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • My North Face shoes have a rounded heel. It is less likely to get wedged under a rock. Unlike other hiking shoes I have worn, the tongue is not sewn to the sides near the eyelets. Therefore, the tongue tends to recede into the shoe as I put my foot in. I have to pull the tongue up before tying my shoe. I get a noid, and I am not even ordering pizza.
    • I saw a hunter with a rifle and scope on the Pinhoti Trail between the road and Lower Shoal Shelter. I remember him saying something like "I am surprised you are out hiking on a gun deer season day."

The man I hiked with got a permit from the Shoal Creek Ranger Station. The ranger did not discourage us from hiking. We wore blaze orange on our heads. We walked along the roads instead of the trail as much as we could in the hunting area, but the shelter was at least a mile in from the road. We saw the hunter closer to the road than the shelter.

I saw no deer, and heard no shots. I heard some trains.
    • The AHTS AlaRuck is on Nov 14 and 15. I'll be camping at Cheaha on Nov 13 and 14. Thinking about hiking on the 13th after I get my campsite final payment done. I was thinking about hiking around an hour. Or maybe 5-10 miles. Don't know enough about the hikes there to decide.

I have the App for the park, but the only trails it shows on their map are bicycle trails.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.