Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trailplace 1997-2014 ???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't see a need for another general hiking website.
      Unless it would be unique in some way, why bother?
      Now if it was going to be a backdoor to some kind of money making scheme that could be a good reason I suppose.
      Even if it supported some kind of organization that could be used as a tax write-off it might be worth while.
      As Trailplace is right now there isn't even a "dedicated" community there.
    • When I was looking for hiking groups in my area, I found Alabama Hiking Trails Society.

I created an account on their forum, no one there since 2014, and they were wondering where everyone else had gone. On a hunch, I checked Facebook, there they were. So I made a post in their forum pointing to their FB page.

I hate Facebook so I don't have an account there.

As for fixing things on someone else's site, it would depend. Have any of you who have accounts there posted a link in those forums pointing to here ?
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Which got me to thinking, how many people are on this site? There are 280 members listed, but only 175 have actually posted. And of those, only a small fraction are "regulars". The top 8 posters account for 50% of the posts. The top 20 posters account for 82% of the posts. The top 28 posters account for 90% of the posts. The top half account for 99.81% of the posts.
    • odd man out wrote:

Which got me to thinking, how many people are on this site? There are 280 members listed, but only 175 have actually posted. And of those, only a small fraction are "regulars". The top 8 posters account for 50% of the posts. The top 20 posters account for 82% of the posts. The top 28 posters account for 90% of the posts. The top half account for 99.81% of the posts.

This is probably normal for most forums.
      You would get similar percentageson TOS and the Camino forum page I belong to.
      You will also notice among the high poster group it splits into two groups. The "permanents" that never go away and the "transients" who are highly active while active in that particular forums activity. Then when they have "done" with their activity (e.g. finished their AT hike), they move on to another forum/activity.
      This site, while having an informative side, was born from a core of members who essentially wanted a chat forum, having had their existing one taken from them, and therefore has a core of members who mostly shoot the breeze.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • On forums I used to Admin, I would run a built in "prune" statement. "If Posts count = 0 and last active older than 365 days................delete". Get rid of all those who sign up and forget they did after they sleep. I took over admin at one forum, ran the query and over half the "people" vanished. Most of the Forum software, has such built in statements. Just takes running it.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • OzJacko wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Which got me to thinking, how many people are on this site? There are 280 members listed, but only 175 have actually posted. And of those, only a small fraction are "regulars". The top 8 posters account for 50% of the posts. The top 20 posters account for 82% of the posts. The top 28 posters account for 90% of the posts. The top half account for 99.81% of the posts.

This is probably normal for most forums.You would get similar percentageson TOS and the Camino forum page I belong to.
      You will also notice among the high poster group it splits into two groups. The "permanents" that never go away and the "transients" who are highly active while active in that particular forums activity. Then when they have "done" with their activity (e.g. finished their AT hike), they move on to another forum/activity.
      This site, while having an informative side, was born from a core of members who essentially wanted a chat forum, having had their existing one taken from them, and therefore has a core of members who mostly shoot the breeze.
      Does shooting the breeze cause a wind chill factor? :rolleyes:
    • LIhikers wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

odd man out wrote:

This is probably normal for most forums.You would get similar percentageson TOS and the Camino forum page I belong to.You will also notice among the high poster group it splits into two groups. The "permanents" that never go away and the "transients" who are highly active while active in that particular forums activity. Then when they have "done" with their activity (e.g. finished their AT hike), they move on to another forum/activity.
      Does shooting the breeze cause a wind chill factor? :rolleyes:
      No but poor aim can cause a pain in the arse.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • rhjanes wrote:

On forums I used to Admin, I would run a built in "prune" statement. "If Posts count = 0 and last active older than 365 days................delete". Get rid of all those who sign up and forget they did after they sleep. I took over admin at one forum, ran the query and over half the "people" vanished. Most of the Forum software, has such built in statements. Just takes running it.
      We have it here also. We have a few lurkers that login but don't post so I've held off.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

On forums I used to Admin, I would run a built in "prune" statement. "If Posts count = 0 and last active older than 365 days................delete". Get rid of all those who sign up and forget they did after they sleep. I took over admin at one forum, ran the query and over half the "people" vanished. Most of the Forum software, has such built in statements. Just takes running it.
      We have it here also. We have a few lurkers that login but don't post so I've held off.
      Good, while I rather they participate, I am glad at least they might be learning (or least enjoying) from what we are doing here.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Yeah, but note that it is an AND condition. "Post Count = 0 AND not logged on for a year" that doesn't "delete" the lurkers, as they still logon.

And, I don't know how many users are on here. Mostly what I saw was stuff like...well....WB......25000 "users"....but if they'd run the query, it would be 11000!!!!
    • rhjanes wrote:

Yeah, but note that it is an AND condition. "Post Count = 0 AND not logged on for a year" that doesn't "delete" the lurkers, as they still logon.

And, I don't know how many users are on here. Mostly what I saw was stuff like...well....WB......25000 "users"....but if they'd run the query, it would be 11000!!!!
      I can prune those that have never posted and not logged in in the last 12 months. We would cut about 60% of the "users".
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Yeah, but note that it is an AND condition. "Post Count = 0 AND not logged on for a year" that doesn't "delete" the lurkers, as they still logon.

I can prune those that have never posted and not logged in in the last 12 months. We would cut about 60% of the "users".
      I guess perhaps I just an optimist and assume they might come back. If it is not costing us anything, why make them recreate their login if they do. Also it may give us a perception of more credibility.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I always found it interesting when on TOS you'd see a first post from someone who had been lurkin' for 8 years, and then says "this is my first post, thought I'd finally ask a question"...cool.

In addition, some come for the entertainment, I do, and the comradely with like minded people who've a love of things out of doors. It was said to me early on all the questions have been asked & answered and for the most part I think that's true, at least as far as what and how.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• Rasty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

You would probably delete a couple in my family if you did that.
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Good, while I rather they participate, I am glad at least they might be learning (or least enjoying) from what we are doing here.
      On the other hand, they may not be enjoying it. Maybe we are like a car wreck. You just can help but looking ;)
    • OzJacko wrote:

odd man out wrote:

This is probably normal for most forums.You would get similar percentages on TOS and the Camino forum page I belong to.
      Just in case you were wondering:

• LIhikers wrote:

I would guess so.
      It was a good place when I first joined it years ago, when Wingfoot ran it.
      Not anything like the café, but very focused and informative.
      I learned much from the TP forum, not about multi-day hiking and extended camping, but AT particulars. I regret not printing many of the posts regarding details, but who knew the wealth of knowledge would disappear?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I would guess so.
      It was a good place when I first joined it years ago, when Wingfoot ran it.
      Not anything like the café, but very focused and informative.
      I learned much from the TP forum, not about multi-day hiking and extended camping, but AT particulars. I regret not printing many of the posts regarding details, but who knew the wealth of knowledge would disappear?
      Yeah. Sad really. Wingfoot had some issues, but a wealth of information. I've been on "Drum Building" forums and about 4 of those have had the same thing happen. Splits over how it is run, one place dies, or both. People "move on", etc.
    • Yep - I tried to load the page to see if there was anything to moderate and got the Go Daddy Expiration screen.

If the site gets renewed, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know as all new members have their posts placed in 'purgatory' until they are reviewed and approved. And since I'm the only one with moderation powers that still visits the site, I'm the only one who can approve them. Not that it kept me too busy the past couple of years. :D
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Yep - I tried to load the page to see if there was anything to moderate and got the Go Daddy Expiration screen.

If the site gets renewed, I'd appreciate if someone would let me know as all new members have their posts placed in 'purgatory' until they are reviewed and approved. And since I'm the only one with moderation powers that still visits the site, I'm the only one who can approve them. Not that it kept me too busy the past couple of years. :D
      congrats on getting 26 weeks of unemployment bennies!
      2,000 miler