Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Deuteronomy 23:13 in the winter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Deuteronomy 23:13 in the winter

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i like to fling it at monkeys

Not many monkeys on the AT. Maybe try the Florida trail

As in flying monkeys. By the way where is the winged one. How come he hasn't dropped in?
      he said he was gonna start his own site...maybe it's up and runnin.

I didn't get an invite! 2.gif
      oh he loves me.

He called you a clown.

He did acknowledge our educational prowess, though
      hang on, I gotta go look those words up.

Translation: He collectively called us the clown college.

I still haven't recieved my diploma! I encolsed a stamped self addressed envelope with my box tops & everything. 52.gif 2.gif

Maybe smike got it.

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

another way to bury waste in the winter is to find a large rock you can pick up, do your business and replace.

Like bear bagging PCT method, isn't this referred to as PA style.
      Depends on what part of PA...near the Phila trail heads we just throw it at passing cars...SPLAT...problem gone.

But seriously, on a recent trip I just tucked it under a rock... now my dogs out there sniffin around

...and so it begins. Sleep deprivation has cause me to resurrect Poopy threads 46.gif
      stage two gets real messy, so as not to put y'all through my downward spiralic demise...I'll bow out, power down, and say g'day...cheersNsnears
    • Re:Re: Deuteronomy 23:13 in the winter

Rasty wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

300 on cruse ship head for the head...Norovirus??? I hope that's one 46.gif that doesn't come into port.

No one washes their hands anymore. I'm guessing that only half are washing hands while in public bathrooms.

Please.....I open public restroom doors with my feet! I can't touch a shopping cart unless the grocery store has wipes.....I rush into the bathroom to wash after I shake a customers hand! I sometimes wonder if I'm defeating my immune system being so anal.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

300 on cruse ship head for the head...Norovirus??? I hope that's one 46.gif that doesn't come into port.

No one washes their hands anymore. I'm guessing that only half are washing hands while in public bathrooms.

Please.....I open public restroom doors with my feet! I can't touch a shopping cart unless the grocery store has wipes.....I rush into the bathroom to wash after I shake a customers hand! I sometimes wonder if I'm defeating my immune system being so anal.
      i like the stores that put a waste basket right by the bathroom door, that way I can wash my hands and dry them, open door with used drying towel and pitch in can upon leaving...it should be a Law.

With all the 46.gif laws we pass in this country, that's just one I could get behind

rocksNsocks wrote:

i like the stores that put a waste basket right by the bathroom door, that way I can wash my hands and dry them, open door with used drying towel and pitch in can upon leaving...it should be a Law.

With all the 46.gif laws we pass in this country, that's just one I could get behind

One of the few things I do like about Walmart is the no door zig-zag entrance to the 46.gif er.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

One of the few things I do like about Walmart is the no door zig-zag entrance to the 46.gif er.

Our WallyWorld has doors on them. :(
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Just throw the paper on the floor behind you then after you open the door to leave.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Deuteronomy 23:13 in the winter

milkman wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Just throw the paper on the floor behind you then after you open the door to leave.

But that would be against LNT . Lol
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

milkman wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

But that would be against LNT . Lol
      yeah but it keep someone workin.

I also do the zig zag thing, but I follow close to someone openin the main door so I don't have to, and then throw a left foot door block stopper....don't try that at toll booths though, trust me on this....luckily those arms are made out of soft pine, and before cameras were a big thing.

jimmyjam wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

geez, might as well poop in the urinal.

Kevin-

In the winter around here- digging a hole makes a bigger and more unsightly mess. I usually use a snow smear- walk around the back side of a tree, do your deed right on the snow. Let it set up for a sec while you wash up with your snowball. Then scoop up your leavings by reaching a few inches under and picking up your snow cone and it's tootsie roll center.

Smash said snow cone tootsie roll first onto the bark of the tree, use your shoe to smear it in. It'll degrade plenty fast with the UV hitting it and the brown blends in to the tree much better than scattering a bunch of dirt trying to dig frozen soil.

Other than your tracks to the tree it's not as bad as it sounds. Your area probably has more hollows and downed trees to use, but flatlanders are hard pressed to find those sorta options.

Just Bill wrote:

Kevin-

In the winter around here- digging a hole makes a bigger and more unsightly mess. I usually use a snow smear- walk around the back side of a tree, do your deed right on the snow. Let it set up for a sec while you wash up with your snowball. Then scoop up your leavings by reaching a few inches under and picking up your snow cone and it's tootsie roll center.

Smash said snow cone tootsie roll first onto the bark of the tree, use your shoe to smear it in. It'll degrade plenty fast with the UV hitting it and the brown blends in to the tree much better than scattering a bunch of dirt trying to dig frozen soil.

Other than your tracks to the tree it's not as bad as it sounds. Your area probably has more hollows and downed trees to use, but flatlanders are hard pressed to find those sorta options.

The tree huggers are gonna hunt you down.
    • Re:Deuteronomy 23:13 in the winter

Just Bill wrote:

Kevin-

So basically you're making shit on a shingle?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Deuteronomy 23:13 in the winter

TrafficJam wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Kevin-

So basically you're making **** on a shingle?

Now that's funny.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

Just Bill wrote:

Kevin-

Certainly one way of keeping those annoying hammock hangers from camping around you :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:
    • Re:Re: Re:Deuteronomy 23:13 in the winter

TrafficJam wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Kevin-

So basically you're making shit on a shingle?

That is not SOS. I know SOS
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Just Bill wrote:

It's one thing taking a **** in the winter, it's another thing standing there making cream sauce for **** on a shingle.

That sorta thing gets you arrested at best, and frostbit at worst.

You people are immature.

Growing older is inevitable.
      Growing up is optional.

I LIKE your tip.

Just don't get a lot of snow around here.
      Might try it on beach sand on my hike next week.
      Let the tide wash it away...
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Just Bill wrote:

It's one thing taking a shit in the winter, it's another thing standing there making cream sauce for shit on a shingle.

You people are immature.

It's more bechamel then cream sauce.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Push out a stool and join the conversation?

I have used a plastic bag on two occasions. Once south of Hampton, TN due to rain, and once south of Pine Grove Furnace because it was dark, hilly, rocky, and near a creek.

I rarely go ultralight, but when I do I still carry toilet paper. On the rare occasion when I ran out, I used wet leaves. One guy I met on the AT told me he does not wipe, but was observed scratching down there.

Has anyone read the book "How to Shit in the Woods"?

Another interesting title: "The History of Farting".
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

stoviewander wrote:

Push out a stool and join the conversation?

I have used a plastic bag on two occasions. Once south of Hampton, TN due to rain, and once south of Pine Grove Furnace because it was dark, hilly, rocky, and near a creek.

I rarely go ultralight, but when I do I still carry toilet paper. On the rare occasion when I ran out, I used wet leaves. One guy I met on the AT told me he does not wipe, but was observed scratching down there.

Has anyone read the book "How to **** in the Woods"?

Another interesting title: "The History of Farting".

I read it. It had some scary "fail" stories in it.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

More thoughts that might be worth a 46.gif

I use whatever stick I can find to dig cat holes. At least one AT shelter in Tennessee had a shovel, which is really nice to have, since I do not carry a trowel on the AT. I like to lean my back against something solid, e.g. tree or boulder. Hanging over the edge of a fallen tree is good. Wedging my butt between two such logs is even better.

I have found softer ground at the base of a tree, but with many tangled tap roots. Make sure to look for yellow jacket activity before digging or dumping.

Has anyone filled an opaque plastic bag and hung a note saying "trail magic" :evil: ? Ridge runners and trail maintainers need not laugh.

The base of a blowdown is my favourite spot.
      Usually a hollow and you can get away with just scuffing some litter away and then back over it. Lots of tree roots to hang on to and rest the paper roll on.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Usually a hollow and you can get away with just scuffing some litter away and then back over it. Lots of tree roots to hang on to and rest the paper roll on.
      in what hotel did you find this spot?

I usually just lift the mattress up and leave one underneath. It is a good hiding spot
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I usually just lift the mattress up and leave one underneath. It is a good hiding spot
      you dont even need a shovel
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Eggzactly
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Or tp
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Rasty wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

It's one thing taking a **** in the winter, it's another thing standing there making cream sauce for **** on a shingle.

You people are immature.
      What do you call a bull chef making béchamel sauce?
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

You people are immature.
      What do you call a bull chef making béchamel sauce?
      A saucier?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123