Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

the Bible
      To TJ's point about reading to be cultured, when I heard the answer, I thought to myself, if that's true, it should be required reading, not as religion, but just to know what's in it, I bought a Bible and read it front to back, not what I was expecting, a little dry in the beginning (no pun intended) but got more interesting the more I read...it was a life changer for me.
      I've also read the Dead Sea Scrolls ( the ones that have been released) and The Book of Mormon. I have not read the Koran.
      You read the Grateful Dead Sea Scrolls? wow - Awesome.... Skip over the Koran... Pass Go, Collect $200 and land on Scientology.... :D :D :D :D :D 8o
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • jimmyjam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Actually I applaud the decision the Brits just made.
      They were able to look past the forecasts of financial doom and gloom and focus on things like sovereignty, independence, and freedom....I think. :S
      Politicians depend on fear mongering and ignorance to maintain power...the financial markets were supposed to collapse...two days later and the stock market in the USA is back where it was.
      The media (and others) like to make things out to be a crisis. For the others it can be seen as an opportunity.
      yup, mearly a market correction, and somebody's kids collage just got paid for, and someone's puttin' in a pool...while yet another might jump off a bridge.
      The stock market is kinda like playing poker. Only go in with what you can afford to lose and don't let your emotions drive your decisions- you've got to stay calm when everyone else is in a panic.
      The stock market is only like playing poker in the short term. In the long term it is a sound investment when done patiently and correctly.

I'm a big fan of putting money into vanguard index funds and then not paying attention to the markets play by play. If pays of extremely well over the decades.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Actually I applaud the decision the Brits just made.
      They were able to look past the forecasts of financial doom and gloom and focus on things like sovereignty, independence, and freedom....I think. :S
      Politicians depend on fear mongering and ignorance to maintain power...the financial markets were supposed to collapse...two days later and the stock market in the USA is back where it was.
      The media (and others) like to make things out to be a crisis. For the others it can be seen as an opportunity.
      yup, mearly a market correction, and somebody's kids collage just got paid for, and someone's puttin' in a pool...while yet another might jump off a bridge.
      The stock market is kinda like playing poker. Only go in with what you can afford to lose and don't let your emotions drive your decisions- you've got to stay calm when everyone else is in a panic.
      In the long term it is a sound investment when done patiently and correctly.

It has done well by me...........so far.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Call me lazy, call me stupid, whatever it takes, but can someone help me find the thread with an article about Lyme carditis? I saw it on here quite recently. Or was it TOS when I was over there looking to be a troll? (DAMN you people for that! :p ) I'd have sworn it was here.

Anyway, if anyone remembers the article, the Minnesota man who died of Lyme carditis was the husband of a dear friend of mine. We were chatting earlier about how she's doing, and I mentioned seeing the article shortly after she shared it on Facebook. I thought it was here but I can't find it. Maybe I AM stupid and/or lazy, or maybe I'm tired from getting up at 0300 to watch NASCAR. I don't know. I've found the article itself again, but Google is easy. I wanted to find the thread here to show her.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I just got a $56 credit to my Amazon account from Apple ebooks antitrust settlement. :thumbsup:
      I recently received a check for about $10.46 from Vibram due to the class action suit.

jimmyjam wrote:

I heard Ticketmaster just lost some megamillion lawsuit and has to make refunds to people who bought tickets all the way back to the 1990s I think.
      The kids were talking about it and by kids, I mean the 20 and 30 somethings on my Spartan message board and also my daughter who tweeted that there weren't any shows in Chicago that she could use her vouchers on.

max.patch wrote:

if you have a ticketmaster account your rewards are in your account in "active vouchers".

....... trust me; this is not going to be your opportunity to see taylor for free.
      WHAT?!?!? Not letting us see James Taylor??? That's criminal I tell ya.
    • Grinder wrote:

Call me lazy, call me stupid, whatever it takes, but can someone help me find the thread with an article about Lyme carditis? I saw it on here quite recently. Or was it TOS when I was over there looking to be a troll? (DAMN you people for that! :P ) I'd have sworn it was here.

Anyway, if anyone remembers the article, the Minnesota man who died of Lyme carditis was the husband of a dear friend of mine. We were chatting earlier about how she's doing, and I mentioned seeing the article shortly after she shared it on Facebook. I thought it was here but I can't find it. Maybe I AM stupid and/or lazy, or maybe I'm tired from getting up at 0300 to watch NASCAR. I don't know. I've found the article itself again, but Google is easy. I wanted to find the thread here to show her.
      Long sleeves and pants in the Whites for Lyme prevention?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Call me lazy, call me stupid, whatever it takes, but can someone help me find the thread with an article about Lyme carditis? I saw it on here quite recently. Or was it TOS when I was over there looking to be a troll? (DAMN you people for that! :P ) I'd have sworn it was here.

Not that one, but thanks for the look. It was a link to the story I posted/linked. I believe it was a different source (newspaper instead of TV station page) but it was the same story. It may very well have been on TOS. Maybe that's why I didn't respond at the time.

Edit: I found it on TOS. I apologize to everyone here for thinking it was here instead of that place.

TOS link with story
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

The post was edited 1 time, last by Grinder ().

• Grinder wrote:

I remember that article cause I had bouts of paracarditis, but like you can't remember where, though I inclined to say TOS...ill look for it as well.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Trebor wrote:

3 high-tech camping gadgets to help you face the wilderness
      foxnews.com/travel/2016/06/30/…help-face-wilderness.html
      When I go hiking and camping the last thing I want to be is high tech
      Some of us cant help it. Go ahead call me a gram weenie... Owls cant fly with heavy objects.

Rasty wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Ticks are not attracted to bright white objects... just putting it out there. Long sleeves and pants.

WanderingStovie wrote:

Whoever had the rope probably misunderstood the intent of a restraining order.
      Uh possibly the smartest thing and funny at the same time I have ever read here. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Drybones wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

My view on gaiters is to buy dirty girl ones. I do not worry about getting my feet wet. I use body glide liquefied powder for that issue. I use gaiters just to keep sticks and junk out of my trail runners. I cannot imagine an improvement on their product for what I use them for.
      Love my Dirty Girls...passed a group of older folks (city type) who were site seeing on one of the balds, stopped briefly to say hello, one of the ladies asked "what's that on your feet", I said "Dirty Girls, I never go to the woods without Dirty Girls", left them laughing.
      It's an old post but a good one...I found it when I searched for a Dirty Girls thread.

Anyway, have to share my new dirty girls. :)

Lost in the right direction.
    • I love dirty girls, I stopped to exchange pleasantries one Sunday afternoon on one of the balds with what appeared to be an older church group, one of the ladies asked me as I was departing what those were on my feet, I told her Dirty Girls and said I never go to the woods without Dirty Girls, her facial expression was priceless.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

i still don't think it's funny. How y'all can joke about something so terrible is beyond me.
      Someone did something bad that resulted in a restraining order, but did something terrible happen in the woods? Where's the proof?

We don't know whose blood it is, or how it got there. A single drop of blood could be the result of a very minor accident, or a nose bleed. Maybe someone killed a mosquito with the restraining order.

The rope could be for bear bagging, a clothesline, or a tarp.

I assume the condoms were still in their original packaging.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

i still don't think it's funny. How y'all can joke about something so terrible is beyond me.
      Someone did something bad that resulted in a restraining order, but did something terrible happen in the woods? Where's the proof?
      We don't know whose blood it is, or how it got there. A single drop of blood could be the result of a very minor accident, or a nose bleed. Maybe someone killed a mosquito with the restraining order.

come on, it's pretty obvious what the implication was of the scene.

Actually, from the first time that I read the post, I thought it was a hoax...a disgusting, in very poor taste, perverted hoax, and whoever set it up should be prosecuted because that shyte isn't funny.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Someone did something bad that resulted in a restraining order, but did something terrible happen in the woods? Where's the proof?We don't know whose blood it is, or how it got there. A single drop of blood could be the result of a very minor accident, or a nose bleed. Maybe someone killed a mosquito with the restraining order.

come on, it's pretty obvious what the implication was of the scene.
      Actually, from the first time that I read the post, I thought it was a hoax...a disgusting, in very poor taste, perverted hoax, and whoever set it up should be prosecuted because that shyte isn't funny.
      I didn't partake but, sick humor is what keeps people in high stress jobs mostly sane. Most nurses I know will shock you. Kinda surprised.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Someone did something bad that resulted in a restraining order, but did something terrible happen in the woods? Where's the proof?We don't know whose blood it is, or how it got there. A single drop of blood could be the result of a very minor accident, or a nose bleed. Maybe someone killed a mosquito with the restraining order.

come on, it's pretty obvious what the implication was of the scene.Actually, from the first time that I read the post, I thought it was a hoax...a disgusting, in very poor taste, perverted hoax, and whoever set it up should be prosecuted because that shyte isn't funny.
      I didn't partake but, sick humor is what keeps people in high stress jobs mostly sane. Most nurses I know will shock you. Kinda surprised.
      Ha ha, you're right about that. :D

I'm extremely sensitive about this subject. I'm sorry, I will make a better attempt to ignore it in the future.