Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• clark howard, the consumer finance guy, celebrates valentines day thusly:

2 weeks before valentines day he buys his wife roses before the prices go up. 1 week before valentines day he takes his wife out to eat before the prices go up. he buys his wife a valentines day card every year at the dollar store for 50 cents. his wife gives him the same card she bought him on their first valentines day. he reads it and gives it back to her. she gives the same card to him next year and the next year and the next year....
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

clark howard, the consumer finance guy, celebrates valentines day thusly:

2 weeks before valentines day he buys his wife roses before the prices go up. 1 week before valentines day he takes his wife out to eat before the prices go up. he buys his wife a valentines day card every year at the dollar store for 50 cents. his wife gives him the same card she bought him on their first valentines day. he reads it and gives it back to her. she gives the same card to him next year and the next year and the next year....
      Now that is my kinda guy (and spouse). :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Hi, those with a significant other, or interested in pursuing one, please don't forget what this Sunday is.

;)
      yeah, a scam thot up by the florists, chocolatiers, restaurantiers, and greeting card companies to remove money from our wallets and into their till. but i'm wise to their ways.
      St. Valentine didn't eat chocolate or give his lover flowers...but he did get his head chopped off. Just sayin'. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • another creation by jester, who i'm sure most eveyone here knows at least by reputation. funny guy; one of the few hikers who can string a few sentences together coherently.

for those of you into cards...print it out and give it your significant other.

[IMG:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DMTsIVym8Hw/Uv5gggEbBAI/AAAAAAAAARk/Aiq4Id0nXcI/s1600/Valentines+Foot+Final.jpg]
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Hi, those with a significant other, or interested in pursuing one, please don't forget what this Sunday is.

;)
      yeah, a scam thot up by the florists, chocolatiers, restaurantiers, and greeting card companies to remove money from our wallets and into their till. but i'm wise to their ways.
      St. Valentine didn't eat chocolate or give his lover flowers...but he did get his head chopped off. Just sayin'. :)
      There's a zoo or aquarium that's trying to find a mate for a large, aggressive octopus. Alas, the project is sort of on hold because they're concerned about cannibalism. This octopus has apparently eaten several of its own kind already.
    • rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

;)
      There's a zoo or aquarium that's trying to find a mate for a large, aggressive octopus. Alas, the project is sort of on hold because they're concerned about cannibalism. This octopus has apparently eaten several of its own kind already.
      I know of a blonde in NC that would be perfect for it. :evil:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

;)
      Wouldn't it be easier to get 2 new octopii?
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • trillium should be by shortly to report that michigan states denzel valentine scored 30 points and passed out 13 assists in the spartans win today. it was truly valentines day in lansing today.

oh..in case you were wondering..last year on valentines day mr. valentine scored 17 points and made a game winning 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat ohio state.
      2,000 miler
    • OzJacko wrote:

rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

;)
      Wouldn't it be easier to get 2 new octopii?:)
      Octopuses.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • OzJacko wrote:

My next trip to the USA, I want to go here...
      ;)
      Try & avoid first full week of August. It gets a little noisy & very crowded. Here's a link to a map I'm working on for points of intrests for friends going to Sturgis Bike Week. Lots of great place to visit around there. Just note a lot of the campgrounds listed are Bike Week only. Still plenty of others than listed here, included many state ones that are closed for the Rally.

google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zSl….k4X2P1oRDJLM&usp=sharing
    • max.patch wrote:

trillium should be by shortly to report that michigan states denzel valentine scored 30 points and passed out 13 assists in the spartans win today. it was truly valentines day in lansing today.

oh..in case you were wondering..last year on valentines day mr. valentine scored 17 points and made a game winning 3 pointer at the buzzer to beat ohio state.
      Pretty wonderful game. The son-in-law dropped off the cutie in my avatar yesterday morning and she slept on my lap most of the game so I had to cheer with my arms and not with my voice. But the Spartans have been somewhat frustrating this year, I'm sure Tom Izzo is grayer since we lost 3 Big Ten games by 1 point. We have no chance for a Big Ten title this year and I'm not sure if we'll get the double bye for the Big Ten Tournament. Just so long as January, February, Izzo takes place, I'll be a happy camper.
    • Trillium wrote:

max.patch wrote:

trillium should be by shortly to report that michigan states denzel valentine scored 30 points and passed out 13 assists in the spartans win today. it was truly valentines day in lansing today.

Pretty wonderful game. The son-in-law dropped off the cutie in my avatar yesterday morning and she slept on my lap most of the game so I had to cheer with my arms and not with my voice. But the Spartans have been somewhat frustrating this year, I'm sure Tom Izzo is grayer since we lost 3 Big Ten games by 1 point. We have no chance for a Big Ten title this year and I'm not sure if we'll get the double bye for the Big Ten Tournament. Just so long as January, February, Izzo takes place, I'll be a happy camper.
      i watched the purdue game last week; that one was worth a gray hair or two or ten.
      2,000 miler
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

rafe wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

;)
      Wouldn't it be easier to get 2 new octopii?:)
      Octopuses.
      Octomom?
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That started out OK but then it went over the top.
      I don't like it.
      Yeah, she deserved better.
      Although I do appreciate the following.

If you love something, let it go.
      If it comes back to you, it is yours forever.
      If it does not, you take your gun and shoot it.
      Or - this one's for twistwrist:

If you love something, let it go.
      If it doesn't come back, it wasn't meant to be.
      If it does come back, you highsided it.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • max.patch wrote:

yet another reason not to smoke.
      Serious it is very funny and I have to say not so funny. Max from the heart, I wish you had not posted this. I know I would have possibly done the same. I am an avid "gee you should not smoke" due to my dad who is currently struggling and surviving bladder cancer, but to say cats get it - well I want to see real studies & science.

Just sharing... trying very hard not being at all judgmental.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • OK let me share a very short story about how to stay married.... for the guys.... Wonderful Females... put the owl on Ignore. Here is the short version... She picked up this waiter/bartender some 28 years ago... at a restaurant....Oh "me"

Valentine's day I bent the ear at the same damn place and asked for a upscale menu from a "friend" chef....

We had a stuffed Crab meat South African Lobster with a wonderful sauce. Her favorite drink a Blue Kamikaze with dirty rocks on the side. Its a Concentrated BOLS Liquor in place of the main ingredient. I ordered for her the "Luna" which are sliced mozzarella doubled breaded and pan fried with a marina sauce for an appetizer. For me it was steak tips with Cajun seasoning.... There is my wish,,,, If I was a chef the wife and I would something else ... I will come back to this...

Later as she apparently had room.... She ordered a Chocolate Crape Susette stuffed with Strawberries & pure vanilla Ice cream.

Serious this bill including my drinks and hers, topped $60 and kudo's yet for another year....

all I can say is "Winning"

Oh and FYI - This is no swanky place....
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

max.patch wrote:

yet another reason not to smoke.
      Serious it is very funny and I have to say not so funny. Max from the heart, I wish you had not posted this. I know I would have possibly done the same. I am an avid "gee you should not smoke" due to my dad who is currently struggling and surviving bladder cancer, but to say cats get it - well I want to see real studies & science.
      Just sharing... trying very hard not being at all judgmental.
      We share 90% of our DNA with cats.
      I would be stunned if they couldn't get lung cancer. Given their smaller bodies I would expect it to be more devastating.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • lol, who in the world writes to dear abby these days? its been close to 20 years since i've had any ticket "mailed" to me.

DEAR ABBY: When purchasing concert tickets online for others, when should you expect reimbursement? I say the charge hits your credit card immediately, and so should the payment you've advanced for that person. My husband thinks it should be when the tickets are mailed to you -- which can take two to four weeks -- and you either bring the tickets to your friends or they pick them up. What do you think? -- CAUTIOUS FRIEND IN LOUISIANA

DEAR CAUTIOUS FRIEND: Your mistake was in not discussing payment arrangements before you bought the tickets. Unless immediate repayment was agreed upon at the time they were ordered, I agree with your husband that reimbursement when the tickets are delivered is appropriate.

edit to add: oops...in the interest of keeping my 100% accuracy rate intact, i just remembered that my basketball season tickets are actual pieces of cardboard that come to me in the mail. and i'm glad they do, since it saves me from printing out some 30 odd pieces of paper ever year. but the days of having tickets mailed for individual sporting events, concerts, and the theater ended some 20 years ago.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• what are we gonna do about these rogue cops?

ABOVE AND BEYOND: Cobb Police Officer T.A. Atwood rolled up on a stranded motorist and her two young children on West Sandtown Drive down the road from Hillgrove High School on February 12, a Friday. The woman said she didn’t have anyone to call and was experiencing financial hardship.

Determining one of the car belts was ruined, Atwood got on his computer and found a local auto parts store that had the belt in stock. He then went to the store, purchased the belt with his own money, stopped by his house to get the right tools, and returned to put the new belt on the engine, allowing the woman to continue on her way.

“When compared to my time as an officer responding to calls for police services, police work is much more complex today,” Cobb Police Chief John Houser tells Around Town. “With the complexity of the job, it is easy to make a mistake. The good things we do far outweigh mistakes that are made. This is just one example of the positive way our officers serve the citizens of Cobb County every day.” See a video of the encounter at mdjonline.com.

(i think the video is part of the free content portion of the paper.):

mdjonline.com/pages/mm_page_vidtest?widget=push&id=27094915

Read more: The Marietta Daily Journal - Cupid s aide defends commish
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, who in the world writes to dear abby these days? its been close to 20 years since i've had any ticket "mailed" to me.

DEAR ABBY: When purchasing concert tickets online for others, when should you expect reimbursement? I say the charge hits your credit card immediately, and so should the payment you've advanced for that person. My husband thinks it should be when the tickets are mailed to you -- which can take two to four weeks -- and you either bring the tickets to your friends or they pick them up. What do you think? -- CAUTIOUS FRIEND IN LOUISIANA

DEAR CAUTIOUS FRIEND: Your mistake was in not discussing payment arrangements before you bought the tickets. Unless immediate repayment was agreed upon at the time they were ordered, I agree with your husband that reimbursement when the tickets are delivered is appropriate.

edit to add: oops...in the interest of keeping my 100% accuracy rate intact, i just remembered that my basketball season tickets are actual pieces of cardboard that come to me in the mail. and i'm glad they do, since it saves me from printing out some 30 odd pieces of paper ever year. but the days of having tickets mailed for individual sporting events, concerts, and the theater ended some 20 years ago.
      It's Dear Amy now. I must admit, the only section of the paper I read consistently is Dear Amy, my families' "astrograph", and the comics. I'm not a kook, I read the astrographs for a good laugh. :D

I like the Word Jumble too. I do this thing where I quickly glance at each word then look away and try to guess the word.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

lol, who in the world writes to dear abby these days? its been close to 20 years since i've had any ticket "mailed" to me.

It's Dear Amy now. I must admit, the only section of the paper I read consistently is Dear Amy, my families' "astrograph", and the comics. I'm not a kook, I read the astrographs for a good laugh. :D
      I like the Word Jumble too. I do this thing where I quickly glance at each word then look away and try to guess the word.
      How old did you say you was?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.