Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thanks guys. I knew they were high energy and very protective and widely used by armed forces and police, but most dogs do what they're trained to do. The male doberman I have was extremely dominant when he was a small pup, the wife was afraid of him, the instructors at K-9 training questioned if he was right for her, after training (the wife that is), the boy became almost too gentle and loving, thought about changing his name from Ruger to Cupcake, he's made buddies with every man, woman, child, and dog he's met on the trail, could not ask for a better temperament....maybe I'll stay with dobermans.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • They shoulda had 2 crowns and let them both win. Sorry Steve, You f*****d up.

My dog Blaze is the best dog for hiking. Chocolate Lab with Red-nosed pit mix. Will fight off any other dog including chows and with that neck of hers and her muscles she will pull you out of any gap on the AT using a regular neck leash.

The post was edited 1 time, last by grayblazer ().

• OzJacko wrote:

Just watching Doomsday preppers on TV.
      Guy explaining that he has a 10 year supply of TP. I'm trying to work out where he would store 10 years of sh#t.
      ;)

Well, my opinion of preppers is they don''t think of the small things. Or that people coming out from the cities. in their millions, will look for underground bunkers and dig the people in there out. Sure, thousands will die, then the preppers will run out of ammo. Then their food will go to someone else.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I doubt & hope the world as we know it doesn't come to an end soon. But a little prepping doesn't hurt. No telling when a natural disaster will hit & what it will do. As campers we are a bit more prepared than most. Most, if not all of us could maintain a decent lifestyle without power for a while.

Many city folks are clueless as what to do if a disaster were to hit. How long would their food last without refregeration? How much water storage do they have? Are they ready to go a few weeks without resupply? Look what happened after Katrina. What if Sandy had been worse?

You don't have to have 10 years of tp on hand, but it makes sense to be prepared. Have enough supplies to hold out for a few weeks. Water storage can be a few repurposed garbage cans. At leaset you would be able to flush your toilet.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I doubt & hope the world as we know it doesn't come to an end soon. But a little prepping doesn't hurt. No telling when a natural disaster will hit & what it will do. As campers we are a bit more prepared than most. Most, if not all of us could maintain a decent lifestyle without power for a while.

Many city folks are clueless as what to do if a disaster were to hit. How long would their food last without refregeration? How much water storage do they have? Are they ready to go a few weeks without resupply? Look what happened after Katrina. What if Sandy had been worse?

You don't have to have 10 years of tp on hand, but it makes sense to be prepared. Have enough supplies to hold out for a few weeks. Water storage can be a few repurposed garbage cans. At leaset you would be able to flush your toilet.
      When power went out at our house we thought it was like camping, cooked on a wood stove or fire place (kerosene heater once) and had a good time, did feel sorry for the wife when I was away from home with work and an ice storm had power off over a week and she had sick kids to deal with...swimming pool was handy for toilet water...sometimes you just gotta suck it up and do what you have to do.
    • I'm not a prepper but am somewhat prepared, mentioned to a buddy I was camping with a week or so back that I had 9300 rounds of 22 cal, said he had 20,000. ! was paying $8.95 for a box of 550 two years ago, now it's $27 and goes up every time you buy it, I see it as an investment....at least the grandkids will have ammo for a while, I'll continue to buy more as they have it in stock....which isn't often.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I doubt & hope the world as we know it doesn't come to an end soon. But a little prepping doesn't hurt. No telling when a natural disaster will hit & what it will do. As campers we are a bit more prepared than most. Most, if not all of us could maintain a decent lifestyle without power for a while.

TP would be like money
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TP would be like money
      Anything for practical use becomes money, things we take for granted all of a sudden have great value.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

The other night I was quickly thumbing through a bathroom book called (I think) Living Off the Grid. I was very amused that in the cooking chapter, the author's advice is to use a microwave.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Not just after Katrina,but other hurricanes as well, there were people fighting over water and ice down on the coast.

I would typically buy 4-6 cases of bottled water for hurricane season in March or April. Around 20 or so pounds of food that doesn't require cooking. Had around 6 flashlights. Battery powered radio.

One year, my parents and I went without electricity for 2 weeks. The other hurricanes it was 7-10 days.

Then I got selected to be on the ride out team and was told the three 4 foot long suitcases, with rollers, was too much gear. My reply was, 'How many huricanes have you been through ?'. I would rather have too much food and water, than run out.
      --

The post was edited 1 time, last by JimBlue: typo ().

• One job, a coworker was saying something about not believing such a thing could happen in a million years.

I asked her what ? And she told us her family's house is a mile inland. When they came back from Katrina, they drove up in their driveway. The first floor windows were all out, and the front door had a propeller sticking out of it.

There was a 35 foot cabin cruiser in the door and stairs. Just a few inches of it still sticking out of the house, along with the prop. The insurance adjuster almost had a stroke.

I think they did get coverage, but not enough. They had to go to court as the insurance comapny tried to claim 'act of God' as that is a way in which policies for coverge don't get paid.

Paraphrasing.

Another odd thing... the Historical Preservation socities down there wouldn't authorize permits to rebuild as the houses were on historical registers. The home owners pointed out repeatedly, 'what house ? There is only a slab!'

The homeowners had to go to Federal court. The judge informed the historical groups, 'What houses to be restored ! There is nothing to restore ! You will stop bothering these people and let them build new homes'.

Took 3-4 years, but the home owners finally got to build their homes back.
      --
    • OzJacko wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

What happened. Somewhere in the last 2 or 3 hours the look (fonts etc) of the place changed.
      I don't like it!
      Okay I changed to Blue Temptation in my settings and the fonts etc look better. But what happened to the Dashboard? Front Page sounds like ...kinda rong.;)
      I keep mine on simple blue but the font is still a little small. On a good note, I'm not having issues anymore with editing and back spacing on my iPhone. gif.014.gif

Speaking of getting old...I need to limit my online time and give my hands a rest. They've been stiff and sore which interferes with their multiuse function.

Display Spoiler
      ...like knitting ;)
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Just got a link from my hiking friend in Germany.
      There's a mad German flying in to here next week to hike the Bibbulmun.
      Getting his contact details to try to help.
      I'm sure that he won't change his plans but I will do my best to make sure he doesn't die.
      January and February are very dangerous months to hike the Bib.
      He is likely to sweat to death or frizzle in a wildfire if he's not careful.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Just got a link from my hiking friend in Germany.
      There's a mad German flying in to here next week to hike the Bibbulmun.
      Getting his contact details to try to help.
      I'm sure that he won't change his plans but I will do my best to make sure he doesn't die.
      January and February are very dangerous months to hike the Bib.
      He is likely to sweat to death or frizzle in a wildfire if he's not careful.
      I've made a rule fer myself not to chase after thru-hikers and only provide with an offer of companionship, or help if asked. To do more one has to ask themselves why.