Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SarcasmTheElf wrote:

So have there been any "record attempts" announced by this year's thru hikers? Seems like by this time every year there's someone looking for press.

None that ive heard. But record numbers at springer like 70 a day. There are 42 of us going nobo from HF on or about 5/3. Its crazy.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • It makes me glad I hiked the AT & PCT when I did. In 88 there were 6 of us starting the same day. To the best of my knowledge 2 of us made it. In 95 when I did my big LASH of the PCT we all reached a bottlejam at Kennedy Meadows with the high snow year. There were 40 something of us there. Now the hostel in Agua Dulce limits it to 50 people a night & 3 night maximum & often fill up! When I hiked I could pretty much tell who was in front of me by thier tracks. On day after a detour Michelle & I wre coming into town. I mentioned it looked like Andy was in front of us But her husband must have gottten new boots. Stride was right & made sense being with Andy. Sure enough when we ran into them at the next trail town Jeff was sporting a new pair of boots.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Crazy day today. I was driving my daughters old mustang convertible and lost control on the wet pavement and wrecked. The damage isn't too bad but I'll be sore tomorrow. I refuse to cancel my hiking plans though.

That pushed me to finally make the decision to buy a car and I'm now the owner of a Subaru Crosstrek. :D

Sorry to hear about your crash, and hope you aren't too sore and feel better!

How old was the Mustang?
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Crazy day today. I was driving my daughters old mustang convertible and lost control on the wet pavement and wrecked. The damage isn't too bad but I'll be sore tomorrow. I refuse to cancel my hiking plans though.

That pushed me to finally make the decision to buy a car and I'm now the owner of a Subaru Crosstrek. :D

How old was the Mustang?

18 yrs old.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

How old was the Mustang?

18 yrs old.

Why doesn't that seem "old" to me?? :huh:

My first car was a 65 Mustang. I killed it.
      RIAP
    • The diesel is as well. Very economical.
      I think another oddity is that the turbo is positioned underneath or at least very low compared to normal.
      For a long time we had the diesel Forester on the top of our next car list.
      For various reasons we are now looking at some type of bigger diesel 4WD but have to wait until we have sold our existing home after the move south so that we know our budget.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

The diesel is as well. Very economical.
      I think another oddity is that the turbo is positioned underneath or at least very low compared to normal.
      For a long time we had the diesel Forester on the top of our next car list.
      For various reasons we are now looking at some type of bigger diesel 4WD but have to wait until we have sold our existing home after the move south so that we know our budget.

We've got our first big diesel 4WD. I'm hooked. It's raw!
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Does she still love you?

Love my Crosstrek, Just slapped a few more stickers on her today. The back corner windows are filled up so I'm moving forward. No fancy plates tho. Maybe Michigan has NCST plates ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • grayblazer wrote:

Ozzy. Have you ever driven a mini Moke? They were restoring one on the car channel the other day. Looked kinda like the old VW Thing.

Wolf, don't take any stickers off. Your truck might fall apart.

I think everyone should have an American Flag sticker on their vehicle, even Ozzy.

Never owned a Moke but did briefly drive one in my youth. My sister in law also had a mini 850.
      I have a "HIKERTRASH" sticker on my car. Probably the only one in Western Australia. I have a spare for a future car.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Now you will be able to get to backwood trail points. I kinda dislike Subaros after I had to get pulled off the beach by on in a company S-10. Made it about 30' up the sand on acess road & dug in. The four wheel drive engagement link failed. Kida embarassing.

Subaru's all wheel drive just isn't up to driving on the beach. You need real four wheel drive.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Now you will be able to get to backwood trail points. I kinda dislike Subaros after I had to get pulled off the beach by on in a company S-10. Made it about 30' up the sand on acess road & dug in. The four wheel drive engagement link failed. Kida embarassing.

Subaru's all wheel drive just isn't up to driving on the beach. You need real four wheel drive.

Did you reduce the tires to 7PSI for driving on sand? That's what most surf fisherman do here at Bethany Beach.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Did you reduce the tires to 7PSI for driving on sand? That's what most surf fisherman do here at Bethany Beach.

On loose sand the differential needs to lock. All wheel drive doesn't make all four tires spin at the same speed. The slower moving wheel digs into the sand.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • CoachLou wrote:

Grinder wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm now the owner of a Subaru Crosstrek.

So does this mean you're a lesbian now? :P

Seriously though, I'm glad you're not banged up too badly.

No.....the ''Outback Sedan" or "Forester" are the LGBT vehicles

If a man owns one of those Crosstreks does he have to start wearing bras and panties and other ladies clothes?
    • Important Facts to Remember as You Grow Older

Number 10 - Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Number 9 - Life is sexually transmitted.

Number 8 - Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one
      can die.

Number 7 - Men have two emotions: hungry and horny, and they can't
      tell them apart. If you see a gleam in his eyes, make him a sandwich, you
      have a 50% chance of being right

. Number 6 - Give a person a fish and you
      feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't
      bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.

Number 5 - Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.

Number 4 All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to
      criticism.

Number 3 - In the 60's, people took acid to make the world
      weird. Now the world is weird, and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Number 2 - Life is like a jar of peppers. What you do today might burn
      your ass tomorrow.

Number 1 - Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I hope you did not cause a traffic jam. Can we call you "Car Wreck"?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I hope you have the luck with your Subaru that I've had with mine. 13 years and 323,000+ miles and it still runs good.
      I take it in for the 30,000 mile check ups and have them repair what they find wrong, which hasn't been anything out of the expected, for a car of it's age and mileage. I'm expecting to get a round trip to the moon and back before thinking about replacing it. ^^
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

No traffic jam this time. I'm a little disappointed in Knoxvillians though. There were several cars behind me who saw the accident but they didn't stop. Someone stopped eventually when they saw me climbing out of the passenger door. I was on an I-40 on ramp, hydroplaned, fishtailed, and ended up turning 90* and hit a concrete retaining wall. I'm sure the car will have to be salvaged. :(
    • I need to see what is the best way to put a receiver on for towing.
      i also need to find me some Yakima or Thule bars for the top.
      i really like the sport grill but I'm to cheap to change what is good already. Across the grill is the only chrome on the car. They should have just used tha black sport grill and been done with it.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

No traffic jam this time. I'm a little disappointed in Knoxvillians though. There were several cars behind me who saw the accident but they didn't stop. Someone stopped eventually when they saw me climbing out of the passenger door. I was on an I-40 on ramp, hydroplaned, fishtailed, and ended up turning 90* and hit a concrete retaining wall. I'm sure the car will have to be salvaged. :(
      wow, you are one lucky lady.
    • Dmax wrote:

I need to see what is the best way to put a receiver on for towing.
      i also need to find me some Yakima or Thule bars for the top.
      i really like the sport grill but I'm to cheap to change what is good already. Across the grill is the only chrome on the car. They should have just used tha black sport grill and been done with it.

I didn't get a hitch or bike rack so will have to start shopping around.