Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

i enjoy going to our local minor league hockey team games. have no interest in televised games, though.

went to a minor league game in toledo, ohio years ago. the coach disagreed with the referees over a call, and he threw every hockey stick that was behind the bench on the ice. took him more than one trip to do so. i thot that was kinda cool. :) so did the fans. the refs not so much.
      2,000 miler

OzJacko wrote:

I used to golf.
      Handicap was 12.

LW if TOS is "just an internet site" why do they feel it necessary to put the following on my logon?

You have been banned for the following reason:
      TOS #13
      Date the ban will be lifted:Never

I have not been on the site since February and was previously banned until 25th May.
      I can only assume the ban was extended for my comments in here.
      By the way, I had paid for silver membership.

What is "TOS"?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

max.patch wrote:

like shoeless joe jackson, pete rose, warren doyle, and ozjacko, i am also banned for life.

my crime? i started a thread with a simple question (paraphrasing since i can't log in and search): i haven't been to millinocket since my thru. i'm returning sometime this summer. do the real hikers still hang out at the appalachian trail cafe?

that was it . no more and no less. some people answered the question honestly and seriously. others -- as i knew they would -- played around with it.

at the trial i was given a 3 month sentence. after 3 months my family gathered at the prison gate ready to take me home and rejoin society. but the warden met them at the gate and told them to leave without me. my sentence had been changed to life.

Its a rare thing to see an entire thread be soft deleted Maxpatch and it has. I was surprised yesterday that I still had access to the private cafe that I set up on my name. Yet nobody has been in there since the end of last year. I think Teacher and Snacktime was the last to access it. Had no trouble finding the other threads you started,

MP
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

TrafficJam wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My sister drives a Zamboni...she's one bad*** woman.

Does that make her an Ice Queen or the lead of Disney's "Frozen"? :blush:

If you haven't seen Frozen the sister wasn't allowed to touch the other.

Nope, haven't seen it.

awe you misssed out... great movie for young and old alike....
    • Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

What is "TOS"?

"TOS" stands for "terms of service" under which members of Whiteblaze must follow. Because so many members are given warnings, suspensions, and bannings for "TOS violations" many people here also use "TOS" as a synonym for Whiteblaze.

In this context it's

The Other Site
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

What is "TOS"?

"TOS" stands for "terms of service" under which members of Whiteblaze must follow. Because so many members are given warnings, suspensions, and bannings for "TOS violations" many people here also use "TOS" as a synonym for Whiteblaze.

In this context it's

The Other Site

I was a walking TOS violation
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Drybones wrote:

What is "TOS"?

In this context it's

The Other Site

I was a walking TOS violation

only on #13 and thats respectable.

Very slow tonight. I've been researching software and came upon something you might like.

https://www.woltlab.com/?s=8da3d6f58dddef2fe015083cea8194dd1cdb36d9

It's almost perfect for what we are looking for.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I've said before: I'd like That Other Site to be our sister site. I can understand that freewheeling socializing is too much work for the moderators. I can understand one place being for serious discussion of how to hike the Appalachian Trail and the other being a spot for A-T hikers to get together and have fun. Really, moderating the two takes a different set of skills.

I'm mildly surprised I've not been thrown off either site. (Except briefly, for disagreeing with the scaled one on a factual point. He let me in again when he realized I was right.) I figure that sooner or later I'll be kicked out of one or the other, because of how the battle lines appear to have been drawn. I know that I've hiked with people who've been thrown off one, and also hiked with users of That Other Site who've been told they're not welcome here. (And who are much too nice to complain about it in either place.)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

Rasty wrote:

Very slow tonight. I've been researching software and came upon something you might like.

https://www.woltlab.com/?s=8da3d6f58dddef2fe015083cea8194dd1cdb36d9

It's almost perfect for what we are looking for.

Uh well first look was interesting- but I am not disappointed with this software. Clearly I don't know the details.

Allow me to share this

TrafficJam wrote:

The latest rug. It was supposed to be for a friend but I'm not happy with it. You can see where I had to start a new bobbin of yarn. :(

Very nice. I like it. The imperfection makes it look homemade. I was reading a book (The World is a Carpet) by a woman who spent 9 months living in a Turkmen village in a very remote corner of Afghanistan. The village has a strong tradition of carpet weaving. The pile is made with hand knotted wool threads. There can be over a million knots in one carpet (I have a small runner in my front hallway - it only has 400,000 knots). The carpets have intricate designs based on traditional geometric motifs, but done with creative input by the weaver. In the book, the author explains that the value of the carpet is enhanced by imperfections in weaving, as this indicates it is hand made by a single craftsman (craftswoman actually as only the women weave) over a long period of time - it take one person the better part of a year to weave one carpet, which she sells for a only few hundred dollars profit. In addition, there is a tradition to put one obvious mistake in the pattern as an act of humility and demonstration that only God is perfect.

odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

The latest rug. It was supposed to be for a friend but I'm not happy with it. You can see where I had to start a new bobbin of yarn. :(

Very nice. I like it. The imperfection makes it look homemade. I was reading a book (The World is a Carpet) by a woman who spent 9 months living in a Turkmen village in a very remote corner of Afghanistan. The village has a strong tradition of carpet weaving. The pile is made with hand knotted wool threads. There can be over a million knots in one carpet (I have a small runner in my front hallway - it only has 400,000 knots). The carpets have intricate designs based on traditional geometric motifs, but done with creative input by the weaver. In the book, the author explains that the value of the carpet is enhanced by imperfections in weaving, as this indicates it is hand made by a single craftsman (craftswoman actually as only the women weave) over a long period of time - it take one person the better part of a year to weave one carpet, which she sells for a only few hundred dollars profit. In addition, there is a tradition to put one obvious mistake in the pattern as an act of humility and demonstration that only God is perfect.

What is most amazing is those women and others, like the Navajo, use very primitive looms and equipment to weave beautiful works of art.

The tradition to deliberately put in a mistake was also practiced in the US. Unfortunately, I have always struggled with the belief that anything less than perfect is unworthy.
      Lost in the right direction.

AnotherKevin wrote:

I've said before: I'd like That Other Site to be our sister site. I can understand that freewheeling socializing is too much work for the moderators. I can understand one place being for serious discussion of how to hike the Appalachian Trail and the other being a spot for A-T hikers to get together and have fun. Really, moderating the two takes a different set of skills.

I'm mildly surprised I've not been thrown off either site. (Except briefly, for disagreeing with the scaled one on a factual point. He let me in again when he realized I was right.) I figure that sooner or later I'll be kicked out of one or the other, because of how the battle lines appear to have been drawn. I know that I've hiked with people who've been thrown off one, and also hiked with users of That Other Site who've been told they're not welcome here. (And who are much too nice to complain about it in either place.)
      no one has ever been told they're not welcome here there are no battle lines.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

100% agree
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

What is most amazing is those women and others, like the Navajo, use very primitive looms and equipment to weave beautiful works of art.

The tradition to deliberately put in a mistake was also practiced in the US. Unfortunately, I have always struggled with the belief that anything less than perfect is unworthy.

Hey...I take that personal!
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hey...I take that personal!

Only as it relates to myself, DB, no one else. :lol:

AnotherKevin wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

At the very least, there was a horrible miscommunication. It left me with quite a bad taste in my mouth.
      when this site first opened we went through quite a few growing pains during that. Some people decided the site wasn't for them since then we had decided to establish some boundaries and the site today is much different than when we first opened it no one has ever been told that they're not welcome here
      its all good

AnotherKevin wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

At the very least, there was a horrible miscommunication. It left me with quite a bad taste in my mouth.

If that bad taste comes from my views, it should be noted that I speak for no one but me. I certainly am not a spokesman for this site. I just have strong opinions about how people react (or don't react) to people being banned or disciplined elsewhere. At the very least, I would think that my sentiments would be understood. If someone sucker punched someone on the street, I would react out of the same emotion. It would not even have to be a friend for me to react. I certainly would not smile and say that is their choice. It should be clear that we have the freedom to do and think as we please. It appears the issue is mine. I just have a problem with people like OZ being banned for things done here. If I was there, I would be speaking up... and likely being banned. But hey... that is just me and the way I react to how other people are treated. You are all free to choose your own path. I speak what I believe to be right. I have a big mouth. I really should just scramble the password to this site too, copy and paste and move on.

Done...................
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

If that bad taste comes from my views, it should be noted that I speak for no one but me. I certainly am not a spokesman for this site. I just have strong opinions about how people react (or don't react) to people being banned or disciplined elsewhere. At the very least, I would think that my sentiments would be understood. If someone sucker punched someone on the street, I would react out of the same emotion. It would not even have to be a friend for me to react. I certainly would not smile and say that is their choice. It should be clear that we have the freedom to do and think as we please. It appears the issue is mine. I just have a problem with people like OZ being banned for things done here. If I was there, I would be speaking up... and likely being banned. But hey... that is just me and the way I react to how other people are treated. You are all free to choose your own path. I speak what I believe to be right. I have a big mouth. I really should just scramble the password to this site too, copy and paste and move on.

Done...................

I understand how you feel, BB. Now, I will tell you how I feel. You are arguing against comments I made about being free to choose more than one site. Your conclusions about my character are way off the mark and I'm now an official member of the butt hurt club.

You two are so abusive. I'm drawing some battle lines right now ...

Traffic Jam-&^%$#&***^%$#@!!#%$^*(())_)_))*^&%$@#****(^*T^*UOU*^*()*(%^^&^&&^%^$$%%#

____________________________________________________________________________________

Bird Brain-%%^#$^#^@%&*_)+(_+(_*)%&%#$^^&FTY* B_(+}()_(I_(**)^%%$&H+<_()+_P)(*)&*&^

50 paces turn and fire