Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

Storm wrote:

Just uploaded a bunch of photos from my camera. Have more on my phone but don't know when I will get them into the computer. Either I got smarter hiking or it got easier to upload photos. Had no problem with it this time.

Nice photos Storm! Darn, it looks like you are having a blast. Now I hate you.
      Just kidding. Wish I was out there.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

ATM,
      You should post your Florida Dunes picture on the Sandy Blazes thread.

I'll see if I can dig it up and post it later on tonite. I'm blowing and raking Magnolia leaves right now. Very pretty trees but a pain in the ass to take care of. Depending on how the wind blows I gotta rake 2 - 3 times a week or the leaves will smother the grass. But, I'll put that pic up.

Just mow the leaves. That's what I do.
    • Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

Storm wrote:

Just uploaded a bunch of photos from my camera. Have more on my phone but don't know when I will get them into the computer. Either I got smarter hiking or it got easier to upload photos. Had no problem with it this time.

You must be smarter. I surely didn't fix anything around here.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Storm wrote:

Nice photos. Where is the zip line?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Storm wrote:

I say lets go with hiking makes you smarter.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

odd man out wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

ATM,

I'll see if I can dig it up and post it later on tonite. I'm blowing and raking Magnolia leaves right now. Very pretty trees but a pain in the ass to take care of. Depending on how the wind blows I gotta rake 2 - 3 times a week or the leaves will smother the grass. But, I'll put that pic up.

Takes care of fertilizing the yard at the same time.
      All the ULers out there ought to appreciate multipurpose approach there.

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

ATM,

Where I live, bagging, raking, burning leaves and grass clippings is like a religion. So the Turf Grass Research Institute at MSU did a research project. They compared plots where leaves and clippings are raked vs plots where they are mulched. After many years it is clear that plots with mulched leaves and clippings are better. I tell this to people all the time and they refuse to believe me since they have been told their whole life they have to rake/bag/burn leaves and clippings or it kills the grass.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/smart_gardeners_mulch_fallen_leaves_into_lawn_to_save_money
      http://www.turf.msu.edu/managing-yard-waste-to-preserve-water-quality

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

ATM,

Where I live, bagging, raking, burning leaves and grass clippings is like a religion. So the Turf Grass Research Institute at MSU did a research project. They compared plots where leaves and clippings are raked vs plots where they are mulched. After many years it is clear that plots with mulched leaves and clippings are better. I tell this to people all the time and they refuse to believe me since they have been told their whole life they have to rake/bag/burn leaves and clippings or it kills the grass.

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/smart_gardeners_mulch_fallen_leaves_into_lawn_to_save_money

Golf courses don't collect clippings.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

ATM,

Golf courses don't collect clippings.

If it is good enough for the golf courses, it should probably be good enough for the rest of us.

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

ATM,

I haven't raked leaves or clippings in years and years. Mulching mower is the way to go and cut the grass often enough that you don't get long clippings that build up thatch.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

For those that do have leaves and nocturnal mice in backyards that is the source of deer ticks - they cannot survive in sunny grass. I found in a recent class that deer ticks need blood meals in order to get from larva to adult and mice provide the meal....
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

I used to golf.
      Handicap was 12.

LW if TOS is "just an internet site" why do they feel it necessary to put the following on my logon?

You have been banned for the following reason:
      TOS #13
      Date the ban will be lifted:Never

I have not been on the site since February and was previously banned until 25th May.
      I can only assume the ban was extended for my comments in here.
      By the way, I had paid for silver membership.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

I used to golf.
      Handicap was 12.

LW if TOS is "just an internet site" why do they feel it necessary to put the following on my logon?

TOS #13

I have not been on the site since February and was previously banned until 25th May.

Welcome to the club! :)
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I used to golf.
      Handicap was 12.

TOS #13

Does this mean we play off scratch in this club?
      49.gif
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I used to golf.
      Handicap was 12.

TOS #13

Does this mean we play off scratch in this club?
      49.gif

OK
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

[quote

Nice photos. Where is the zip line?[/quote
      That zip line swing thing was crossing a stream to get to the "Captains".
      He lets hikers camp in his back yard. Had the fridge full of cold sodas. There was a clothesline to dry your stuff. Water was available at an outside line. Everything was free and he didn't even ask for donations but was left a few anyway. He wasn't even home the night I camped there. Left a sign on the door that said "Gone Fishing, enjoy the pop."

OzJacko wrote:

I used to golf.
      Handicap was 12.

TOS #13

Sort of a right of passage... like getting the Order of the Arrow (highest in Boy Scouts)
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

i bet astro already knew this, but i saw something last night which really annoyed me.

the braves - red sox baseball game was on espn and was also on the braves network, so i was flipping back and forth to get both perspectives. turner field has 2 advertising billboard that are visible to the tv viewer when the batter is at the plate.

the billboard on the left side of the screen for some reason was not turned on last nite; it was a solid green. when watching the braves network feed this is what you saw. however, when watching the espn feed they superimposed espn upcoming shows on this screen.

so when espn broadcast the game, they actually broadcast something that was not part of the game. thats just wrong.
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

i bet astro already knew this, but i saw something last night which really annoyed me.

the braves - red sox baseball game was on espn and was also on the braves network, so i was flipping back and forth to get both perspectives. turner field has 2 advertising billboard that are visible to the tv viewer when the batter is at the plate.

the billboard on the left side of the screen for some reason was not turned on last nite; it was a solid green. when watching the braves network feed this is what you saw. however, when watching the espn feed they superimposed espn upcoming shows on this screen.

so when espn broadcast the game, they actually broadcast something that was not part of the game. thats just wrong.

Wouldn't be an issue if baseball wasn't so batshyte boring and you could watch the game instead.
      gif.014

OzJacko wrote:

I used to golf.
      Handicap was 12.

TOS #13

It is this kind of story makes me wonder about a great many things. The 2 most pertinent being why this does not evoke a different mindset in the friends of the abused and if I belong on any social site. I lost a quality friend because I spoke my mind before. I would rather stop wondering about the 1st pertantent wondering, but I believe that will only happen if I answer the 2nd wondering. For my part OZ, I am mad as hell at your treatment. I do not go through life just saying "oh well at least it wasn't me." I don't understand people that do. I would rather not think about it. Which is why I believe I have my answer to my 2nd wondering. I don't belong on social media. I am not a hooray for me and to hell with you type person and I have a big mouth.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

like shoeless joe jackson, pete rose, warren doyle, and ozjacko, i am also banned for life.

my crime? i started a thread with a simple question (paraphrasing since i can't log in and search): i haven't been to millinocket since my thru. i'm returning sometime this summer. do the real hikers still hang out at the appalachian trail cafe?

that was it . no more and no less. some people answered the question honestly and seriously. others -- as i knew they would -- played around with it.

at the trial i was given a 3 month sentence. after 3 months my family gathered at the prison gate ready to take me home and rejoin society. but the warden met them at the gate and told them to leave without me. my sentence had been changed to life.
      2,000 miler

OzJacko wrote:

Wouldn't be an issue if baseball wasn't so batshyte boring and you could watch the game instead.
      gif.014

the real athletes have left baseball for football and basketball. here's self proclaimed real athlete 50 cent throwing out the first pitch at a mets game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpkIuKiuE4k
      2,000 miler

max.patch wrote:

I agree. I grew up when the fences were green (except maybe Wrigley when the ivy was dead). That was when professionals were happy just to be paid something for playing the game they loved. Now there is way too much emphasis on the money, from player salaries, way over priced food and tickets, to advertising, etc..

Still it is sorta like women, you put up with it, because it is still the best sport in the world (at least IMHO).

OzJacko wrote:

max.patch wrote:

gif.014

Most interesting and strategic sport there is. Just need to get to understand it more and all of the details. Having coached baseball, soccer, basketball, and volleyball, with the other three combined I have never second guessed myself anywhere near as much. And maybe that is what it is, I approach it more from a coaches perspective and all the different variables you have control over. Abundance of relevant statistics and strategy.

Storm wrote:

[quote

Nice photos. Where is the zip line?[/quote
      That zip line swing thing was crossing a stream to get to the "Captains".
      He lets hikers camp in his back yard. Had the fridge full of cold sodas. There was a clothesline to dry your stuff. Water was available at an outside line. Everything was free and he didn't even ask for donations but was left a few anyway. He wasn't even home the night I camped there. Left a sign on the door that said "Gone Fishing, enjoy the pop."

When I went by there in October I must have been to focused on my feet on something, because I missed the zip line to the Captains.

max.patch wrote:

like shoeless joe jackson, pete rose, warren doyle, and ozjacko, i am also banned for life.

my crime? i started a thread with a simple question (paraphrasing since i can't log in and search): i haven't been to millinocket since my thru. i'm returning sometime this summer. do the real hikers still hang out at the appalachian trail cafe?

that was it . no more and no less. some people answered the question honestly and seriously. others -- as i knew they would -- played around with it.

at the trial i was given a 3 month sentence. after 3 months my family gathered at the prison gate ready to take me home and rejoin society. but the warden met them at the gate and told them to leave without me. my sentence had been changed to life.

Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe deserved it. You, Oz, Warren Doyle, and Buck Weaver DO NOT!