Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

I've really got nothing interesting to add to the conversation, so I'm just typing long enough to say "Hi"! It's great to see this site growing. Every time I make the time to stop by there are new names. (At least new to me anyway.)
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

Ewok11 wrote:

I've really got nothing interesting to add to the conversation, so I'm just typing long enough to say "Hi"! It's great to see this site growing. Every time I make the time to stop by there are new names. (At least new to me anyway.)

Stop by more often. Don't worry about having nothing interesting to say. It's never stopped any of us before.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

max.patch wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

puttin' solar panels on shelters to charge cell phones is a stupid friggin' idea if this is what you're referrin' to

its beyond stupid.

Does this have something to do with a discussion on TOS? If so, that was is what is stupid. Let that freaking site go already. Or at least fight over there instead. Perhaps I am the one being stupid now. Would not be the first or last time.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

puttin' solar panels on shelters to charge cell phones is a stupid friggin' idea if this is what you're referrin' to

its beyond stupid.

Does this have something to do with a discussion on TOS? If so, that was is what is stupid. Let that freaking site go already. Or at least fight over there instead. Perhaps I am the one being stupid now. Would not be the first or last time.

There was a thread about adding solar panels to shelter roofs to recharge cell phones.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

Stop by more often. Don't worry about having nothing interesting to say. It's never stopped any of us before.

I try to stop by every week; I just don't always comment. I started feeling kind of stalkerish, so I thought maybe I should say something. :blink:

Life has just been hectic recently and I haven't had time for real life or cyber hiking or much of anything else for that matter.

Now that I've finished whining, I will add that it's been a solidly nice weekend. I got to spend four full days with my husband (and we're both still alive), got to grill out twice, finally broke out the bicycle and put in a few miles around the neighborhood and enjoyed having some leisure time to just do nothing.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones, is that a jar of peanut butter stuck on your dogs head? It reminds me of an episode of Doctor Who (the BBC version).

It is, the boy does love his peanut butter, his treat every night at bed time.

My wife and I used to raise puppies for The Guide Dog Foundation For The Blind.
      One of the dogs we raised was so smart that there wasn't a crate or cage that she couldn't get out of. Before we knew that, we left her in the crate one day when we had to go out, and of course she let herself out. That would have been OK, but, she went into the kitchen and ate clean an almost full 5 pound tub of peanut butter. That dog, and everything that came out of her, smelled like peanut butter for weeks. So beware letting your dog have too much PB.

LIhikers wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones, is that a jar of peanut butter stuck on your dogs head? It reminds me of an episode of Doctor Who (the BBC version).

One of the dogs we raised was so smart that there wasn't a crate or cage that she couldn't get out of. Before we knew that, we left her in the crate one day when we had to go out, and of course she let herself out. That would have been OK, but, she went into the kitchen and ate clean an almost full 5 pound tub of peanut butter. That dog, and everything that came out of her, smelled like peanut butter for weeks. So beware letting your dog have too much PB.

My parents dog ate a bar of soap once. It was farting bubbles for a week.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I would like to say that I have not posted on that other site for a few months now. It is because of one person over there.I really don't want to talk about it cuz I don't want to jinx my self. I may go over there just to delete my gallery. It's too bad that one person can influence me to cut my nose off to spite my face, but a person can't help but have principles . If that is the worst thing in my life, I have it made.

I would like this site better if people took the high ground and never mentioned that site (I'm a terrible example, I know) I may go over there and delete my gallery. BB, would that be the most pathetic passive aggressive act?

What I really want to know from everybody here is ... does that waffle breakfast burrito from Topless Bell look appetizing? Maybe after 5 days on the trail? Not to me.

Good news from here ... I'm on my 2nd to the last dose of chemo. Doc says everything is going away. All praise to Jesus and all of you all who prayed for me. Thank you. I feel really good about this website.

grayblazer wrote:

I would like to say that I have not posted on that other site for a few months now. It is because of one person over there.I really don't want to talk about it cuz I don't want to jinx my self. I may go over terer just to delete my gallery. It's too bad that one person can influence me to gut my nose off to spite my face, but a person can't help but have principles . If that is the worst thing in my life, I have it made.

I would like this site better if people took the high ground and never mentioned that site (I'm a terrible example, ai know) I may go over there and delete my gallery. BB, would that be the most pathetic passive aggressive act?

What I really want to know from everybody here is ... does that waffle breakfast burrito from Topless Bell look appetizing? Maybe after 5 days on the trail? Not to me.

Good news from here ... I'm on my 2nd to the last dose of chemo. Doc says everything is going away. All praise to Jesus and all of you all who prayed for me. Thank you. I feel really good about this website.

I don't post over there anymore either. That is great news from your doctor.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

grayblazer wrote:

Good new on that Chemo. Wife had chemo, surgery, more chemo, radiation, then infections - that was in 2001 but all is well now. You can do it too! gif.014

Rasty wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My parents dog ate a bar of soap once. It was farting bubbles for a week.

At least they were "clean" ones.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

grayblazer wrote:

I would like to say that I have not posted on that other site for a few months now. It is because of one person over there.I really don't want to talk about it cuz I don't want to jinx my self. I may go over terer just to delete my gallery. It's too bad that one person can influence me to cut my nose off to spite my face, but a person can't help but have principles . If that is the worst thing in my life, I have it made.

I would like this site better if people took the high ground and never mentioned that site (I'm a terrible example, ai know) I may go over there and delete my gallery. BB, would that be the most pathetic passive aggressive act?

Glad to hear the good news from the Doctor. I know chemo is tough, but when people make it through it seems to make them appreciate things in life a lot more.

grayblazer wrote:

Not sure what kind of act it would be, but it is what I did and Christ is worthy to be praised.

Great news on your health.

28 k. Just saying.

BirdBrain wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

Not sure what kind of act it would be, but it is what I did and Christ is worthy to be praised.

Amen Brother.

Glad you have a Doctor I have lost three Doctors in the last five years. - Primary - Allergist - Sleep. My Sleep guy quit last month Dr Mark at West Chester Sleep Studies.... My deductibles have skyrockets attached. I wish you the best, My dad is at a similar point in life. Chemo sucks but this is the best tool to have a good outcome.. I know its hard, the hair falls out, you are tired and its the good fight. Some opt out and I have relative in England who did just that.. she made a very poor decision. She (his sister) scared the hell out my dad, as there hasn't been any cancer in the family tree. Dad is fighting this but I see the depression and the vigor all at the same time. Do your best - and you might not understand this - keep a stiff upper lip. Hang in there. and along the same lines see if you can pick this out.

About the other place... This is my weird theory.. I am bored as shit with WB. I have had my can kicked several times and some of it was well deserved. When Sgt Rock left it was telling. When Froliking Dino left it was dissapointing, she was a damn good friend. I have seen people and friends leave in a grandiose burn of fire and posting 'I will never be back!" others - in the dogs on AT disappear with a whimper. That was some 70+ members. I would rather stay and piss off a gator and be part of the solution than the problem. I would rather have the good fight and get my nose broken then to disappear. That is exactly what I am doing over there. Helping people that need the help and handing the small minded idiots & trolls an ignore button.

I would rather be surrounded by friends and have a good discussion and really learn from each other than to move on and be silent. I celebrate our differences and embrace what I can in the short period that we have together. Does that make sense?

I am sticking it out and I approve this message. Even if I come off as a curmudgeon.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Thanks for the reminder that TOS exists.
      I believe my suspension will be lifted tomorrow.
      3 months have flown by.
      I will attempt again to clean out my gallery etc and then tell my computer to forget the password.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

LoboSolo wrote:

y'all take this typin' and hikin' **** too serious. Whiteblaze is just a website

Whiteblaze is a fantastic concept with great people contributing and an idiot at the helm. This place does not have that last issue. I wouldn't drink a glass of water with a lunger floating on top. Some would. That is their choice. It is just drink spit.

Someone please explain the need to debate/discuss TOS over here. Do they do the same about us over there? I underatand that we have freedom and they do not. I would suggest that with freedom comes a responsibility to act in a manner that shows responsibility and appreciation of said freedom. We should be showing the hiking world that there is a better way. Instead we justify the despot's actions. We prove that such freedom cannot be entrusted to people and that we need to be protected from ourselves by having such freedom censured. If you want to change that site, make this site a better one. Let market forces dictate to an enabled thug what reason cannot.

No one should have to choose between the cafe and TOS if they don't want to. If cafe members are given s**t by participating in both forums, the cafe will never reach it's full potential. By complaining about and discussing TOS, it's given more importance than it should. Even bad publicity is good.
      Lost in the right direction.

WOO, lots of doctors retiring is another unintended consequence of Obama Care. When I was at the VA hospital with my Dad this past year, people (mostly veteran spouse's ) were complaining about all of their doctors retiring. Lots of older doctors are saying forget it, I don't want to mess with this hassle, so it is a tipping point for them to retire. Really sad part is a lot senior citizens are now having to find new doctors.

Rasty wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

y'all take this typin' and hikin' **** too serious. Whiteblaze is just a website

So what do you think about the Taco Hell waffle burrito?

Horror

There are worse things, but on the other hand I am in no hurry to try one. :unsure:

CoachLou wrote:

Memorial Day got you all Yankee Doodely , BB?

This constant whining about what happens on another site has. I feel like I am 15 and listening to my mother and her friends taking about the neighbors as they paint artex or whatever it is called.

Taking a break. Later lurkers.

grayblazer wrote:

So what do you think about the Taco Hell waffle burrito?

it looks like something andrew zimmern should eat on bizarre foods.

it just looks nasty. check out the waffle. a waffle is supposed to be crispy on the outside. the way that waffle is curved i'd bet thats its almost as soft and floppy as a pancake.
      2,000 miler

If the govt can't run a VA - why do they think they can run a tax on our health insurance?... what a mess. 8 million signed up - another lie.

Yea about the solar panel on the shelters...boy did I stick my boot in that pile of poo. Same s++t every thread on solar. each month - green mile -won't work, too heavy, won't charge -everyone running around to charge a phone in Damascus at trail days. I wasn't kidding - I think I can put together a system of 1-2 panels on a roof and bolt a ammo box to the wall and it would be under $200! It's the same set-up for an alarm system. Might have to add a battery heater for the winter. I bet in about 20 years it will already be implemented. Every airport has them its just a matter of time.

Rocket Socks was on briefly yesterday on WB. Didn't answer my PM.

Oz You don't have to clean out the pictures over there... I would just leave it as is.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Astro wrote:

ATM,
      You should post your Florida Dunes picture on the Sandy Blazes thread.

I'll see if I can dig it up and post it later on tonite. I'm blowing and raking Magnolia leaves right now. Very pretty trees but a pain in the ass to take care of. Depending on how the wind blows I gotta rake 2 - 3 times a week or the leaves will smother the grass. But, I'll put that pic up.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.