Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Mostly dichroic glass jewellry but we have some other stuff too.
      We bought several hundred bread (cutting) boards from a guy a few years ago. They are made out of jarrah - a beautiful local hardwood. He was giving up his stall as he got a high paying job on the mines up north. We sold 16 boards at $15 or $20 each (2 sizes). We sold enough to recoup our original cost about 8 markets back.
      :lol:

I've seen a few things of Annie's in people's pics, she's an artist.

I have a few nice things myself!

I put that AT bead on my Cover!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

Thanks to all that replied... I am feeling very old.... its all good.

I haven't kept up on friend requests... and just had a very odd phone call from a wife that won't let her husband go backpacking or hiking... he has to leave his monkey nuts at home... it was bad enough I might have to start a new thread.... for men.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Thanks to all that replied... I am feeling very old.... its all good.

I haven't kept up on friend requests... and just had a very odd phone call from a wife that won't let her husband go backpacking or hiking... he has to leave his monkey nuts at home... it was bad enough I might have to start a new thread.... for men.

That would be an interesting discussion. I suspect there is quite a range of opinion on what constitutes being a man. I suspect there would be more than a few "men" that would be offended by my views on the subject. :whistle:
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Asked "permission" yesterday when he was out of the room - Then I had a discussion with him about stuff he wanted to do..... she called an hour ago... ya can't make this up...One part of the 20 minute discussion included her getting a hotel room a mile away or sleep in her backyard! Really? wow.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Asked "permission" yesterday when he was out of the room - Then I had a discussion with him about stuff he wanted to do..... she called an hour ago... ya can't make this up...One part of the 20 minute discussion included her getting a hotel room a mile away or sleep in her backyard! Really? wow.

That's sad
      Lost in the right direction.

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Hey! You said you wouldn't tell anyone. Now I am going to be in trouble.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

Well to BB and TJ talk about awkward _ I went back to look up when she called - 6pm... Because I had a successful marriage I had no idea that one partner or the other was over the top controlling or needy Ya know ya think you have run into everything... then oops.
    • Re:Re: Re:welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Families ok ... bit wierd... its those "normal" church goers that I find odd.

They are too quiet.

I am a church goer. I am not quiet.....or normal.

I probably also resemble that remark.

Me too.

Hi trillium. Do you have any hiking plans?

Well... I was supposed to leave on this past Monday (2 days ago) but I just was having a bit of a feeling about my Mom and that maybe I shouldn't go. Also, my daughter is coming to town for a wedding on the day before Mother's Day and I was thinking how would I feel if I was on the AT and she was home when I only get to see her about 5-6 times a yr now. The kicker was that I started feeling bad this past Friday, sort of upset stomach and intestinal probs. So when that continued on Saturday, I just decided to postpone the start of my hike until the day after Mother's Day.

Now I know it was the Holy Spirit that gave me that feeling that I shouldn't start this week. Because I spent over 5 hrs at the hospital with my mother today. She thought that perhaps she was having a stroke. Her 94 yr old brother (my godfather) had one last yr and then died several months later. Turned out to be pretty severe vertigo and after meclizine intensified the symptoms, they gave her valium and that worked to help her feel much better. After I picked up 'scrips for her, my husband and I stayed with her until my Dad came home from umpiring.

I just felt like coming on here and talking to some hiking friends. Thanks for asking.

Trillium wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

They are too quiet.

Me too.

Well... I was supposed to leave on this past Monday (2 days ago) but I just was having a bit of a feeling about my Mom and that maybe I shouldn't go. Also, my daughter is coming to town for a wedding on the day before Mother's Day and I was thinking how would I feel if I was on the AT and she was home when I only get to see her about 5-6 times a yr now. The kicker was that I started feeling bad this past Friday, sort of upset stomach and intestinal probs. So when that continued on Saturday, I just decided to postpone the start of my hike until the day after Mother's Day.

Now I know it was the Holy Spirit that gave me that feeling that I shouldn't start this week. Because I spent over 5 hrs at the hospital with my mother today. She thought that perhaps she was having a stroke. Her 94 yr old brother (my godfather) had one last yr and then died several months later. Turned out to be pretty severe vertigo and after meclizine intensified the symptoms, they gave her valium and that worked to help her feel much better. After I picked up 'scrips for her, my husband and I stayed with her until my Dad came home from umpiring.

I just felt like coming on here and talking to some hiking friends. Thanks for asking.

I'm glad she's okay. Things always seem to work out how they're meant to.

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

They are too quiet.

Me too.

I'm glad she's okay. Things always seem to work out how they're meant to.

Oh... And I got to see my daughter a few weeks ago :) She brought a friend and we went hiking. Before we left, I grabbed some TP, thinking they might want it. I was a proud mama when they both declined, saying they'd use a leaf. :lol:

TrafficJam wrote:

Oh... And I got to see my daughter a few weeks ago :) She brought a friend and we went hiking. Before we left, I grabbed some TP, thinking they might want it. I was a proud mama when they both declined, saying they'd use a leaf. :lol:

What a great way to spend time with your daughter.

When I was accompanying my daughter to Massachusetts for her internship, we stopped at Greylock Club in North Adams and were going to do an afternoon hike on the AT. We didn't get very far when we had thousands, maybe millions of inchworms falling on us. It sounded like it was raining. She totally freaked out and wouldn't move. It took me a long time to get her out of there and she swore she would NEVER hike on the AT again. This was in 2006; hopefully time heals all.

TrafficJam wrote:

I sacrificed being outside on this beautiful day to work on my loom. It's a slow process to sley the reed and thread the heddles. I listened to Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand...a great story so far. Has anyone read it?

I'm impressed! What do you make on your loom?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I sacrificed being outside on this beautiful day to work on my loom. It's a slow process to sley the reed and thread the heddles. I listened to Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand...a great story so far. Has anyone read it?

I'm impressed! What do you make on your loom?

It's not that impressive but it is fun! This is going to be a rug for my son's new apartment. I've made blankets, towels, rugs, scarves, guitar straps, bookmarks, fabric for bags, etc.

I've been wanting to weave with Cuben fiber but did a lot of research and it would be stupid. What makes cuben fiber great is that it's not woven but bonded (?) laminated (?) or something like that and that's why it's waterproof and durable.
    • Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

TJ,

Yes cuben is lamented. It like plastic coated seran wrap. It is weird stuff. You can't really cut it with scissors, a few inches will ruin your scissors. I cut it with heavy duty razor blades in a utility knife. It also dulls sewing needles super fast. What i like about it is it holds a crease/fold and you will not get misting thru it during a downpour. Also it can be repaired easily with cuben, mylar or duct tape.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

They're making a lot of cool things from woven Dyneema/Spectra...body armor, parts for modelling (as in model ships, not fashion), biomaterial used in joint replacement, etc. I really wanted to come up with something I could use for hiking but I'm not creative enough and it's not worth the expense.

Okay, I'll shut up now. :)

It's too quiet around here :lol:

max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I listened to Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand...a great story so far. Has anyone read it?

its on my kindle but i haven't started it yet. i need to finish it before the movie comes out.

It is excellent. I actually enjoyed his biography better myself, But Laura Hillenbrand is naturally a better writer. I would recommend both. gif.004
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General