Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

• IMScotty wrote:

I was lucky enough to see Jerry Jeff Walker a couple of times. He was a great showman. He does a much better version of Mr. Bojangles that is slower and more heartfelt. Check out this version from his "Great Gonzo" album.

The whole album is worth a listen...
      I would agree this version is better than the one I posted (more similar to the NGDB hit).
      You are fortunate to have heard him person. In the over 20 years I lived in Texas unforutnately I never did take advante of the live music available in Austin.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The first time I saw him was in Boston. I had never heard of him, did not know who he was. He was the opening act for Nanci Griffith, another Austin musician. I'll tell you, he stole the show. The place was rocking, I was impressed. By the time Nanci came out, she actually seemed a little annoyed :) I made sure I picked up one of his CD's in the lobby on the way out and I was hooked.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

I was lucky enough to see Jerry Jeff Walker a couple of times. He was a great showman. He does a much better version of Mr. Bojangles that is slower and more heartfelt. Check out this version from his "Great Gonzo" album.

The whole album is worth a listen...
      I would agree your version is much better than the one I posted.

I am glad you got the opportunity to see him live. I lived in Texas 20 years and unfortunately never took advantage of the Austin Music scene.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

I know this topic has been discussed before -- probably started by Odd Man Out -- but I can't find it so I'll post here.

Someone posted this last night on the FB page I used to refer to as "the small Georgia hiking page I belong too." I can't say that anymore -- when I joined there were about 1,500 members; it has now grown (fueled by the virus) to 68,000. The page now has some of the problems that plague large groups.

The picture, in case someone can't open it, is about allemansratten (the right to roam) in Sweden.

I missed all the excitement, but this somehow turned into a political fight with plenty of cussing. By the time I saw it the offending posts had been removed and the thread closed. The admin said this is the 3rd time in the last couple of years that this has been posted and it ends this way every time.

Anyway I'll say that this sounds good to me and hopefully that won't start a fight. :)

[IMG:https://scontent.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/122678796_734636590593573_3556710618746454930_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=fedRvSLwIEoAX8StWoh&_nc_oc=AQmGSbEvvHCvmVjIgn8uR0h1gmND8l_zLJdLqxCGF0bGLZYFmQhCYndYjeWu8cC9Cl4CN6pIrOFt-d9d94JVJ_dO&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-2.fna&oh=349ae3d83aa1cbb8cb571cca7d565e73&oe=5FC0D633]
      2,000 miler
    • New

max.patch wrote:

I know this topic has been discussed before -- probably started by Odd Man Out -- but I can't find it so I'll post here.
      Yes, that would be me. Being Swedish-American I participate in a number of Swedish FB groups (if you join the Swedish sites there will be no cursing or arguments). Basically, you can camp, hike, ski, bike, climb mountains, and ride horses on any unoccupied and unused land with no permission needed (no one will question you - it's illegal to put up No Trespassing signs or fences to keep people out). Swimming, berry and mushroom picking are also allowed. Hunting and fishing are regulated (but fishing without a license is allowed some places). You can bring your dog, but it must be leashed between March 1 and August 20, and under control at all times and you are legally responsible for any damage or injury by your dog. You can build campfires if you LNT (although fire bans may be imposed in dry season). Norway and Finland have the same basic principles.

However, with rights come responsibilities, under the principle ‘Don’t disturb – Don’t destroy.’ Basically, you must stay away from homes and cultivated land 70 m). The do not disturb principle also applies to wildlife. Also you must use LNT principles. Camping in one spot is restricted to 2 nights (no squatting) and to small groups (three tents or fewer), otherwise you would probably be disturbing or destroying something. There are some areas where these activities are restricted by local ordinance (usually parks and nature preserves). Also this is an individual right and does not automatically apply to groups and organizations.

Hiking the Kungsleden is high on my wish list. 270 miles (with only 3 road crossings) plus side trails and countless off-trail possibilities. It looks like the cover photo on the video below. Camp where you want, but there are also huts with (for a fee) beds, kitchen, stove, firewood, toilet, sauna, and resupply store.

The entire country is posted on AirBnB:
    • New

max.patch wrote:

lol, that's a great AirBnB listing.

I'll repeat what I said earlier; what a great idea!
      Another nice thing is that topo maps of the whole country are available on-line, with detail down to individual buildings. Here is the map of the northern part of the Kungsleden (red line running N-S) showing other maintained trails and off-trial routes around the tallest mountains in the country. Nikkoloakta (a Sami village at the end of the road) is a popular trail head.