Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New

Kathy and I only have 1212.3 miles remaining.
      I better hurry and get that 2000 miler application filled out.
      I'm sure we'll have the entire AT finished in the next 50 years or so.
      Actually we have a plan, to finish the northern half by the time we retire and then do the southern part as 1 journey.
      Next summer we expect to finish Maine.
      The dividing line for us between north and south is Harpr's Ferry.
    • New

the families appalachian trail expenses.

$25,000 amount spent on thru hike.

$12,000 income earned attributable to thru hike: $10,000 rented out house while gone; $2,000 cash donations.

$13,000 net cost of thru hike. this works out to $80 a day (161 days) or $10 per person per day.

not included in above: $2,000 estimated cost of donated shoes; 97 donated meals -- they found it difficult to place a value on this; a meal on the trail is $12, a meal in town is $150. they came up with a SWAG of $4,000.

being a cpa i enjoyed this video. :)

his final piece of advice i think was spot on -- estimate your hike as a single person to take $5,000 -- but if you can take more -- do it!
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• New

max.patch wrote:

the families appalachian trail expenses.

$25,000 amount spent on thru hike.

$12,000 income earned attributable to thru hike: $10,000 rented out house while gone; $2,000 cash donations.

$13,000 net cost of thru hike. this works out to $80 a day (161 days) or $10 per person per day.

not included in above: $2,000 estimated cost of donated shoes; 97 donated meals -- they found it difficult to place a value on this; a meal on the trail is $12, a meal in town is $150. they came up with a SWAG of $4,000.

being a cpa i enjoyed this video. :)

his final piece of advice i think was spot on -- estimate your hike as a single person to take $5,000 -- but if you can take more -- do it!
      While I did not follow their hike, I have to say kudos to them for providing that level of financial transparency.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<