Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

• Trillium wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Man, we are all just getting old and falling apart. :(
      After you hit 50, it's all downhill. First slowly but as the decades roll past, the slope becomes steeper and steeper and so you deteriorate faster and faster. :S
      I have big shoes to fill in that dept. This is my Grandfather.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • max.patch wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Trillium wrote:

max.patch wrote:

off to walk in the pool for 30 minutes as instructed by the physical therapist. this is gonna be soooo boring...
      ATTITUDE. You can truly make it fun. Why? Because YOU control your attitUde. ;)
      Trillium is one smart lady.
      well -- i did it. and i'm going back tomorrow.
      Diagnosis?
      sciatica.
      our first goal is to be able to walk 1/4 mile pain free in 2 weeks. considering how much i've hiked in my life --- sheesh!
      This is what's kept me from doning a pack, thinking about one of the bycycle handle bar thingamajig they been showing on the TV, seems like a good idea...beat hangin' in the doorway by my ackles at three in the mornin, really freaks the kids kids out.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

just finished a 30 minute walk in the pool. 50% forward, 25% backward, 25% sideways.

i had fun! :)
      Dumb question, but how does that work, is it a treadmill ??
      it's just walkin. :)

chest deep water, couple noodles under the arms, and just start walking. gotta walk the width of the pool so the water depth doesn't change -- and the pool normally has 2 or 3 lap lanes going - so a whole lotta turning around.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

just finished a 30 minute walk in the pool. 50% forward, 25% backward, 25% sideways.

i had fun! :)
      Dumb question, but how does that work, is it a treadmill ??
      it's just walkin. :)
      chest deep water, couple noodles under the arms, and just start walking. gotta walk the width of the pool so the water depth doesn't change -- and the pool normally has 2 or 3 lap lanes going - so a whole lotta turning around.
      Ah, gotcha. For some reason I was picturing some sort of PT training device and not a normal pool.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<
    • odd man out wrote:

yup, I'm quite a bit heavier than ever before and this time I am really feeling it. I just have to loose weight. What worked for me before was to eat three meals per day and no snacks, eat fewer carbs, walk on the treadmill 20 min every evening. We shall see.
      ya know -- i'd like to say that diets don't work -- but every time i need to lose weight the south beach diet -- basically high protein, low carbs -- plus exercise -- works for me.
      2,000 miler
    • John Muir once said "Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." I call B.S. 2014 Off trail bushwhack in the Catskills with Another Kevin. Took around an hour to get through 1/4 mile of downed trees likely caused by a hurricane or possibly a tornado.
    • New

max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

yup, I'm quite a bit heavier than ever before and this time I am really feeling it. I just have to loose weight. What worked for me before was to eat three meals per day and no snacks, eat fewer carbs, walk on the treadmill 20 min every evening. We shall see.
      ya know -- i'd like to say that diets don't work -- but every time i need to lose weight the south beach diet -- basically high protein, low carbs -- plus exercise -- works for me.
      I watched a fella at work eat 6 hot dogs a day (no bread) and loose weight, ocorse his sodium was through the roof. He called it Atkins.
    • New

jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I'm so old that I qualify for my town's senior citizen discount on property taxes, except for the fact that between me and Kathy both working our income disqualifies us for that benefit. But, we did get our free beach pass to the town beaches and the local Dunkin Donuts offers a free donut to seniors on Tuesdays.
      See TJ, there are benefits to getting old :D
      get an AARP card and get a free donut with everyday with a medium coffee.
      Works for a couple of my bicycling partners.

Trillium wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Man, we are all just getting old and falling apart. :(
      After you hit 50, it's all downhill. First slowly but as the decades roll past, the slope becomes steeper and steeper and so you deteriorate faster and faster. :S
      just saw the sarcasm symbol. However upon the first reading of your post, I immediately thought of my new friend I met on an elk hunt. At 81, he was scrambling up and down mountains faster than the teens in the group.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • New

Let me offer the following, for what it's worth.
      I had an uncle with a very bad sciatica problem.
      He went to all kinds of doctors over a few years and nothing helped.
      In the end the doctor wanted to operate on his back but my uncle refused as he didn't want anyone cutting into his back.
      Then he went for acupuncture , or maybe it was acupressure, treatments and was cured in a few months.
      He was back to golf, tennis and handball, paddle ball and all his former activities as if nothing had ever been wrong.
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

Let me offer the following, for what it's worth.
      I had an uncle with a very bad sciatica problem.
      He went to all kinds of doctors over a few years and nothing helped.
      In the end the doctor wanted to operate on his back but my uncle refused as he didn't want anyone cutting into his back.
      Then he went for acupuncture , or maybe it was acupressure, treatments and was cured in a few months.
      He was back to golf, tennis and handball, paddle ball and all his former activities as if nothing had ever been wrong.
      thanx. i'll remember that.

surgery is the absolute last resort -- although i'll do it if i have to cuz i can't keep living life as a couch potato.

i walked 1/2 mile on tuesday -- the most in 2 months -- and the first 1/4 mile was pain free. but i paid the price yesterday.
      2,000 miler
    • New

It is really VERY FRUSTRATING when you have been active all of your life and all of asudden an injury changes your life style. I have hiked, hunted, camped and fished most of mylife and for the past 20 years rode horses and guided elk hunters in the mountains.I started my attempt on my AT thru hike on my 60th birthday but unfortunately Ihad to get off the trail in NH when I broke a bone in my foot.

Then in one quick moment I screwed up my back this past May changing a tire on atractor trailer. It is hard to remember that getting old can put limitations onwhat you can do that you use to take for granted. It also seems that itis harder to recover from such injuries. On the other hand I know an old farmerthat is 94 yoa that is still out working cows, running the pay loader, cuttinghay and driving himself wherever he needs to go.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • New

I had been working on one of the motorcycles' engines, sitting on a creeper. Went to stand up and my back was locked. Literally. I walked into the chiro's office hunched over like an old man. Two hours later, I could stand straight again. Hasn't locked since. I am no longer on the fence about chiros...just sayin...
    • New

Speaking of pain, I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes like every night. But last night sometime after walking and before bed, a terrible pain developed in my right foot, behind the big toe. It felt like a sprain, but didn't seem to occur suddenly while using it, rather it developed gradually over the course of the evening. By bed time, it was so painful I couldn't walk and the pain was such I couldn't sleep. Around 3 AM I found the only to minimize the pain enough to sleep was to lie in the recliner in the living room with the foot rest up and the foot hanging off the edge. I was wondering if maybe my trail runners (Altra Lone Peaks) that I've been wearing almost every day since January have worn out to the point they aren't supporting my feet enough. I switched back to my Oboz Sawtooths (Sawteeth?) for work today. They are stiff enough to allow me to hobble around to my office and back.
    • New

ScareBear wrote:

I had been working on one of the motorcycles' engines, sitting on a creeper. Went to stand up and my back was locked. Literally. I walked into the chiro's office hunched over like an old man. Two hours later, I could stand straight again. Hasn't locked since. I am no longer on the fence about chiros...just sayin...
      While some are quacks, some are legit. Glad you found a good one.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Astro wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

While some are quacks, some are legit. Glad you found a good one.
      Ther's good and bad in every profession