Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned welcome to the cafe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I see they closed the Lone Wolf thread at WB.
      what is the thread title?
      i found it.
      forget about socks, i think it was teacher who asked me with such great concern whether she should be worried about you, and then mentioned "the other site"(here).all she had to do was read my first response-he's fine.

oh yeah, I saw that thread. at first I was concerned when I first saw it, particularly since I had just seen the gent a week and a half ago, and wondered if some health issue had come up. Then I read the rest. Glad it was no cause for concern.
    • welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

Astro wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

That's really pretty TJ, one day I'll have me a kilt...in merino wool. Them that like can call it a skirt...don't care, suits me fine.

My first thought when I saw those pictures was the looms in Edinburgh, Scotland. RS, Perhaps I should consider getting back to my Scottish roots and getting a kilt also.

Would love to see you gents in kilts.

Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

That's really pretty TJ, one day I'll have me a kilt...in merino wool. Them that like can call it a skirt...don't care, suits me fine.

My first thought when I saw those pictures was the looms in Edinburgh, Scotland. RS, Perhaps I should consider getting back to my Scottish roots and getting a kilt also.

I kinda wear a kilt from time to time...if a towel when I get out of the shower counts :ohmy:

Trillium wrote:

Astro wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I have a rain one I use (over my hiking shorts).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

hikerboy wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

den mommy is at it
      http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101260-Responsible-Posting-Do-you-care

Saw that. Biting my fingers to keep from typing any comment.

take a gander at this one http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101303-Chat-room-on-the-AT

WOW.
      Just read it - hadn't looked before.
      How come everyone wasn't moderated for talking about closed threads?
      And was the reasons given by HM for closing the old cafe the reptiles or the ones she gave the reptile???
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

LoboSolo wrote:

she was abducted and murdered. my opinion

oh heck, I was hoping for abducted and being held prisoner in some remote cabin for some backwoods guy and that she would be able to escape in the spring. shucks, shucks, shucks.

so what kind of a person do you think would do that? a backwoods guy? why in the world would someone abduct a 66 yr old woman and murder her in that remote part of the world? I just can't wrap my head around this.

Just when you think all the questions over there have been started or posted. Odd really.... Part of what is happening over here is we don't have to talk about answering noobie questions. Hense its a comfort zone-Makes sense to me.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

den mommy is at it
      http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101260-Responsible-Posting-Do-you-care

take a gander at this one http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101303-Chat-room-on-the-AT

WOW.
      And was the reasons given by HM for closing the old cafe the reptiles or the ones she gave the reptile???

She is exempt from the rules
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Stopped reading that thread after the second page.
      Too many armchair speculations for mine and I didn't like where it was going.
      I have a well developed internal ignore switch.

On a note closer to my own experience, it's been about 8 months since the event.
      Can anyone tell me what actually happened to the old guy who drove into the Trail Days Hiker Parade?
      Did he have a seizure or something?
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

den mommy is at it

WOW.

I don't understand the whole thing. I mean, if I don't agree with someone or am "offended" I don't engage. Why ruin the experience because of a "few bad eggs." I was only a periodic poster over there, but post several times a day here. To me it feels "like home." A bunch of fun loving, sarcastic idiots ... just like my real family. I don't even have to worry about saying idiots (or assholes)
      ... 'cause over here it's said with love :) :sick:
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

So, I've been over there reading HM's thread and just busted a gut reading the following from Aficion, particularly the last line:

"Having answered thusly, I would like to add a few cogent thoughts. I do not come here to try and make others feel good about themselves. I come to learn, to laugh, to share, and to enjoy the company of people who share a passion for the outdoors in general and the AT in particular. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do....but if you don't...It is your own damn fault."

Trillium wrote:

So, I've been over there reading HM's thread and just busted a gut reading the following from Aficion, particularly the last line:

"Having answered thusly, I would like to add a few cogent thoughts. I do not come here to try and make others feel good about themselves. I come to learn, to laugh, to share, and to enjoy the company of people who share a passion for the outdoors in general and the AT in particular. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do....but if you don't...It is your own damn fault."

Perfect!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

moose717 wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

den mommy is at it

WOW.

I don't understand the whole thing. I mean, if I don't agree with someone or am "offended" I don't engage. Why ruin the experience because of a "few bad eggs." I was only a periodic poster over there, but post several times a day here. To me it feels "like home." A bunch of fun loving, sarcastic idiots ... just like my real family. I don't even have to worry about saying idiots (or assholes)

THAT was the whole problem.
      Someone who gets offended easily, has very definite ideas of right and wrong would roll up her sleeves and plow into every thread discussion.
      The reptiles issues with politics etc, were just a screen and a search for excuses.
      I'm very fond of the lady and owe her gratitude for the help she gave, but I hope she stays well away from this site. I am her friend on F Book and hope to remain so.
      But I don't say swear words on there (much), although I'm expecting her to drop any feeds from me since I liked the page "I love F###ing Science" - asterisks are mine.

OzJacko wrote:

moose717 wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

den mommy is at it

WOW.

THAT was the whole problem.
      Someone who gets offended easily, has very definite ideas of right and wrong would roll up her sleeves and plow into every thread discussion.
      The reptiles issues with politics etc, were just a screen and a search for excuses.
      I'm very fond of the lady and owe her gratitude for the help she gave, but I hope she stays well away from this site. I am her friend on F Book and hope to remain so.
      But I don't say swear words on there (much), although I'm expecting her to drop any feeds from me since I liked the page "I love F###ing Science" - asterisks are mine.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying she was the narcissist. I've never met her, but when I had some "woman" hiking questions I PM'd her and she had some great answers. I just like being on a site where I can say what's on my mind and you can like it or lump it. Plus I don't have to worry so much about making sure my "filter" is on. Can't do that in the real world.
      ― Cheryl Strayed

i dont get it. even her straight forward thread is all over the road, she's broken like 12 of the eleven terms of service in the past few days and still the green one lurks and laughs, doing nothing.
      i wonder if hes doing it (or not doing it)because he knows it bothers us.
      we ar irked, green one. take action dammit!!! 52.gif 52.gif
      its all good
    • Re:Re: welcome to hikerboy's cyber cafe

hikerboy wrote:

i dont get it. even her straight forward thread is all over the road, she's broken like 12 of the eleven terms of service in the past few days and still the green one lurks and laughs, doing nothing.

I posted on the thread because I knew only Gator would see it. He didn't respond to me for some reason.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

hikerboy wrote:

He's just chopped it all to hell.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

hikerboy wrote:

I take a different slant on it.
      Don't stop her there as she will have a huge void in her day and may come here.
      If you hadn't started this site, I would be all for banning her there and trying to restore, but you can't go back. This place is developing as a nice hybrid between there and Sargent Rock's place.
      Look forward, not behind.

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I take a different slant on it.
      Don't stop her there as she will have a huge void in her day and may come here.
      If you hadn't started this site, I would be all for banning her there and trying to restore, but you can't go back. This place is developing as a nice hybrid between there and Sargent Rock's place.
      Look forward, not behind.

Well said OZ. Only idiots trip over something that is behind them!

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I thought she was over here... well whatever. the two are oil and water. We all know that.

did you check out there is a new line up over there the last few months?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showgroups.php

She was here then left then came back and then quit. She deleted her account here. I've blocked her ip address because she doesn't belong here.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

hikerboy wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

den mommy is at it

Holy Toledo:

"HM" wrote:

Towards the end tho, it had problems with drama. It really did. Friends turned enemies & individual post counting problems/confusion.

WTH??? What friends turned enemies? Unless she is talking 'bout herself and others. Oh, read a little further and she mentions Rasty. Rasty, you naughty, naughty boy. :evil:

Rasty wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

I thought she was over here... well whatever. the two are oil and water. We all know that.

did you check out there is a new line up over there the last few months?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showgroups.php

She was here then left then came back and then quit. She deleted her account here. I've blocked her ip address because she doesn't belong here.

Thanks for the insight Rasty.
      I really do like her, but need somewhere on the internet (like here) where she's locked out. A bit like I used to not be able to relax and say what I thought when my mother was in the room. Always minding my p's and q's as we say.